BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pes 2010 - First Details

Guest Kamy100

Impressions from someone on a PES forum who is usually spot on:

PES Impressions

- Gameplay has slowed down heaps

- Defensively the game has improved heaps, no more running around the field with Messi and beating the whole team, this time if you beat 1 you can be sure the next defender will take you out.

That doesnt sound good......

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the PS3 demo and had a couple of go's.

I've not played a PES since PES 5 (I think) which was footballing perfection. The problem was that apart from sprucing up the graphics and introducing a new trick there was no real need to change the game. For that reason I never bought a new one but now Ive finally got a PS3 I though I'd better upgrade !

I've just played it and it feels almost the same. The one slight gripe I'd have is that the extra player animation makes them sometimes a touch slow to respond. Also sometimes you can see your going to run the ball out of play a second before it happens (that has always been a PES problem). Apart from that it feel good to play.

I played on Professional difficulty and first game Spain V Germany. Got beat 2-1 and found it quite difficult to create chances or shooting positions. However that's one of the things I sort of likes about the series. It never felt like a game of basketball. It is because of this that when I did score late on I almost left off the sofa in celebration.

Second go I was Barca V Liverpool. It was noticable here how much easier it was as a superior team. Messi is a little too quick for my liking against the defenders. Won 2-0 with a peach of a header for the opener.

i always prefered PES over FIFa and still do but I can see why people now prefer FIFA. That has come on leaps and bounds. However I'll probably stump up for PES on release providing they've sorted out the online problems that I've read about.

One thing - where do you get the option file once it is released, does it cost anything and is it simple to install.

Played this for about an hour, quite like it. Much better than PES 2009, it does have faults but it is an improvement on the previous version.

I have been playing on top player and it is difficult to score goals.

It is completely different game to FIFA 10, I guess it will come to preference, some people will like FIFA 10 and others will want to play PES 2010. For me I will buy both as they both offer something different.

In terms of option files if you have a PS3 then there will be files released when the game comes out, they are free and very easy to install.

In terms of option files if you have a PS3 then there will be files released when the game comes out, they are free and very easy to install.

Although some silly people will still pay for them on ebay (I am not one of them by the way)

I had a play last night and one thing that does leap out is how good the players look. Its really weird (in a good way) at times especially on a replay to zoom in and see them darting around.

I didn't think the gameplay was back to that of PES 5 or 6 and as Hasta said the player animation can make you suffer at times. Saying that though its the best PES game to come out on the PS3 so still may be tempted to pick it up as well as FIFA but it will just depend on how many of my friends get it because Fifa still plays better for me.

I think they have been clever with the camera on the demo and zoomed it right in which makes the player models stand out. The Fifa demo camera is far back so you can see more but it doesn't look as good (still though I think the PES players still looked better)

This could just be my ears but when playing as Liverpool it sounded like the crowd started singing the Eastenders them tune which then kicks into their 'Weve won it 5 times' Have a listen - as said though that could just be in my head.

Well after playing for quite a while and adjusting to the new pes and only having scored once! (and one offside :rolleyes:) I've gotta say, I think its really good, the input lag is a bit annoying, might take some getting used to, the keepers are a bit shocking at times and theres still some auto-sliding and clearances but apparently all these are fixed in the final version, according to someone thats got a 90% code. We'll see if he's telling the truth or not before long I guess. I don't know why they can't release a more recent version of the game, probably panicked when FIFA released theres

I tried my best here to not draw comparisons to either FIFA 09 or previous incarnations of PES and look at this in it's own right - but I couldn't

The graphics for me have both amazed and disappointed in truth. The players faces are spot on, the best I've seen in a football game, I don't think anyone will diagree there. There for me it ends though - take the grounds for example - am I the only one who thinks Anfield looks a little small? It might be me but the grounds just don't feel very imposing compared to <ahem> "other" formats...

I know this is only a demo but the sound is atrocious - I played the game for a lengthy spell last night and had "liverpool liverpool liverpool" ringing in my head for an hour afterwaerds - I'll probably need a labotomy if they add Lawro's whining to it. I like the satisfying clunk the ball makes when it hits the post though.

That aside it's probably a little unfair to criticise PES for it's sound and graphics as it's always been a weak point. However, how many chances have they had to develop it now? I am past using the excuse "ah well but PES has always been about the gameplay" - the game needs to be a little more authentic than this. Have EA bought the lot so they can't be used? Surely they don't have complete exclusivity do they?

The gameplay is pretty good, although it took me a while to get used to because I hadn't played PES in a while. The ball movement is realistic and the keepers physics when they make a save is very good. The games pace is pretty good, with just enough time to think about your passes. Chances are harder to come by, which is a plus point.

All in all, and putting comparisons to previous versions and EA whores it's a good game in it's own right.

I was considering buying both FIFA and PES this time round as they do feel very different, but if this demo is anything to go by I think it's just FIFA for me this year. Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad, I just feel that they had to do something really special to take the game to the next level and what I've found is a game with essentially good physics and fairly realistic gameplay with poor sound, sloppy presentation and not much new to write home about. I know it's only a demo, but so was FIFA 10 and that's shaping up a lot better.

I believe that the code that the demo is from is 75-80%. The things that will improve in the final code will be the response times and bugs such as dodgy keepers.

I am really happy with it. I won't compare it to FIFA because essentially both games play very differently, for me PES2008 and PES2009 did not have that old PES magic, but for me this one does.

I think both FIFA and PES this year are good games and I will be buying both because they both offer different gameplay experiences.

AWFUL!

The 1 good thing - is the players faces are really similar to reality.

Thats as far as it goes though....the gameplay is poor - the players response times are shocking and there are some nasty bugs (like players playing the ball with one leg, and it hitting the other and going out of play). Everytime you brush past a player, players seem to spin and fall - WTF.

The response times are probably the worst part of the game. As for it being hard. I put it on the hardest level...iv not played PES for 2 or 3 years, yet I scored after just 7 mins. Poor.

Arcade quality for me - Fifa wins once again this year.

The more I play the more I love it, it may not be as slick as FIFA but it has that old PES magic, players are more individual, they do all sorts of little touches and flicks and is also feells great when you score goals, particularly as you can score a variety of different goals. My biigest gripe with FIFA 10 is that all goals you score feel very fimiliar.

I can't wait to play the final version.

This year I'll be buying both PES and FIFA as they both offer different things.

PES is like an arcade game, I think a 10 year old could beat the computer on that one. It doesnt seem to learn your game the same as Fifa does.

The first touch of every player is awful and the players speed isnt correct. I had Messi on the ball and he was slow as a tortoise....

PES is like an arcade game, I think a 10 year old could beat the computer on that one. It doesnt seem to learn your game the same as Fifa does.

The first touch of every player is awful and the players speed isnt correct. I had Messi on the ball and he was slow as a tortoise....

I see what you are saying Hughesy, but I disagree, I was the same when I started to play it, but the more I play the more I see that the players are more individual in PES than they are in FIFA. For example there is very little difference between Messi and say Xavi in FIFA 10, I can do the same things with Messi that I can do with Xavi, however in PES Messi's close control is better than Xavi and therefore makes it easier to take on players with him, whereas Xavi's passing ability is better than Messi's so he is able to play that killer pass better. It is just that we have all being playing FIFA 09 over the last year and PES plays completely differently, when you learn to play the game properly you can see that it has a huge amount of depth, look at the tactical sliders, adjust them and you can see the affect on screen.

I hated PES2009 with a passion but I can see that this is a huge improvement on that.

Of course not all people will like this game, but I was a huge fan of games such as PES4 and PES5, and this is a return in that direction, and like I keep saying it is completely different to FIFA which for me is a positive, no point having to games on the market which play exactly the same.

Kamy I understand what your saying - but why is it that fast players like Messi are not fast in the game?!

The keepers are way too easy to beat, and there are too many dodgy bounces of the ball.

I know 3 people who have downloaded it and all 3 deleted it within 48 hours. Iv played PES alot in the past but last year was pathetic, and this year isnt much better.

Kamy I understand what your saying - but why is it that fast players like Messi are not fast in the game?!

Have you got a different demo than me Hughesy?!? If I play Liverpool as Barcelona, when holding the sprint button down Messi can fly past the full back every time!

I prefer PES but only if you whack the difficulty as hard as possible. On PES6 I always played it on 6 stars. Back in those days I hated FIFA although having had FIFA08 and tried the new demo I can see why people prefer it.

I've played the demo on the PS3 around a dozen times now and got a lot more settled into it. I think I'm really going to enjoy the full version.

I'm with you Hasta, I can't agree with Hughesy about Messi being slow, he's probably the most gifted player with the ball at his feet on the game, easy to go past players with him (Too easy perhaps). With the majority of other players its difficult to dribble past more than one player (On Top Player), Messi's pace and agility makes him fly past players.

What I really like is that more than ever each player feels unique and plays in a different way, from Gerrard's driving runs and long shots, Messi's dribbling, Torres's predatory instinct in the box who just seems to always be in the right place at the right time and many more.

I've played the Fifa 10 demo half a dozen or so times now because I want to try and give it a good honest go but something just feels like it's missing for me, I can't put my finger on it but all I know is I enjoy Pro a lot more and Fifa still just doesn't seem to have the realistic gameplay that I'm looking for. (Others will say completley the oppositte so I guess it just comes down to how you think a realistic football game should play). The olayers on Fifa just seem to similiar to me, I've played mostly with Chelsea and shooting with Lampard or Mikel doesn't seem to be much different for one example.

Just hoping online mode is good this year. I also wish the AI would give away a couple more free kicks, I'd like to get some set piece practice in but think I've only had about 3 fouls so far in all my games, only 1 of those was in shooting range. I guess it's difficult to balance it out though as you don't want the AI bringing you down every 2 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else got this yet?? Got mine today!!!! Loving it! There's even an option to add your own music to the playlist! Quality!

Not sure about patches, think konami will release one before long that you can see in the system settings section I think on the download bit, there will no doubt be an option file with all the kits and transfers done by friday

Guest Kamy100

Mine will hopefully arrive today, really looking forward to it as I am really annoyed with the offline experience with FIFA, way to many bugs in manager mode.

There will be a patch on friday, it will clear up the few issues that people have reported since the demo and also update all of the squads. I will also post a link to an option file on Friday (PS3 only) which will correct kits etc.

Archived