BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool Preview

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

After tonight I think that if we get good delivery from corners then Samba is going to give them a lot of problems. It is going to be a very hard game, we have to be solid at the back, close down Gerrard and Torres, if we can do that then we stand a chance. If we back off and give the ball away then they will beat us easily.

Have you got a price for Andrews?

He's pricless, as many of the board members will tell ya ;)

Going to be a close game, and I'll go for a draw, Sam will set the team out with a gameplan which I hope we'll execute.

Have to man mark Gerrard, but I remember Bolton doing that a few months back, and Gerrard ran rings round them. The defence have to be on the top of their game if we are to stand any chance of getting a result from here.

If we are losing, then we must make sure we keep our goal difference in mind, because it is very tight down their and it could well go down to goal difference.

Then again it is worth 3 points eh 1864 ;):blink:

As many fans will know Saturday will be Liverpool's nearest home game to the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough next Wednesday. A member of the Fans Forum suggested a while ago that Rovers fans do something to mark their respect and as a result the club are paying for a wreath on behalf of Rovers fans which will be placed at the Hillsborough memorial before Saturday's game by the Chairman of the Fans Forum with reps from Liverpool's Supporters Trust. As the memorial is right by the entrance for away fans, look out for it if you're going.

There will be a minute's silence before the game but no other formal tribute as Liverpool will do its official remembrance next Wednesday.

long balls, long throws corners freekicks, ............samba has to play up front, liverpools defending and picking up is garbage at best. very good day to avoid the midfield.

.............................robbo.....................

andrews........nelsen..........givet............warnock

.............................moko................................

.......diouf.............Dunn....................Anyone fit

....................Samba...Ooijer............................

would'nt be pretty, but considering i've written this match off i'd like to see it out of curiosity and to confirm my suspisions that i'm a tactical genius

I'd go with this:

...................Robbo......................

Ooijer......Zurab.....Nelsen.....Givet

..................Mokoena...................

Diouf..........Villanueva.....Warnock

Samba.....McCarthy

I say try wee Carlos because we aren't likely to get anything from this game. And who knows? We may even get a free kick!!

It's crazy how patched up our team looks at the moment!

Team I would go for:

-----------Samba------McCarthy

Warnock---------Dunn-------------Diouf

-----------------Andrews

Givet-----Nelsen------Zurab------Ooijer

----------------Robinson

I think we are going to get whipped to be perfectly honest. That team is sort of comical! But it is probably the best we have :(

Daft as it sounds Andrews will be the key player. He was awful at full back against Spurs but his confidence does seem to be improving as does his ability to keep up with the game. It will be crucial he moves the ball around. A much better selection in the DM role than Mokoena who is anonymous.

ps. Physio room has RSC, Grella and Pedersen all potentially being available for Saturday. Needless to say having any/all of them vastly strengthens our hand, even Grella.

As many fans will know Saturday will be Liverpool's nearest home game to the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough next Wednesday. A member of the Fans Forum suggested a while ago that Rovers fans do something to mark their respect and as a result the club are paying for a wreath on behalf of Rovers fans which will be placed at the Hillsborough memorial before Saturday's game by the Chairman of the Fans Forum with reps from Liverpool's Supporters Trust. As the memorial is right by the entrance for away fans, look out for it if you're going.

There will be a minute's silence before the game but no other formal tribute as Liverpool will do its official remembrance next Wednesday.

As one who went to Anfield on the Monday night after Hillsborough I would very much like to attend this small ceremony. Do we know what time the wreath will be laid? I shall have Tom with me so I need a bit of warning to gte myself there on time. Thanks.

As for the game? Well getting some tickets seemed like a good idea at the time! :)

I remember playing QPR in 1992/93. Shearer was injured at that point and there were another bunch of injuries. When we got to Loftus Road and heard the team we almost turned round and went back home. 7 outfield defenders in the team, and yet we went and won 3-0. A great night. The team that night:

Mimms ,Brown ,Dobson ,Berg ,Hendry ,Moran ,Ripley ,Cowans ,Atkins ,Newell ,Marker

It could be a similar sort of team, personnel-wise, on Saturday. I doubt anyone close to fitness will be risked, given the more winnable games coming up. "Park the bus" might be the tactic of choice. It's not going to be pretty, and I'll take a narrow defeat right now to protect the goal difference. We really don't need another Arsenal-type result.

After tonight I think that if we get good delivery from corners then Samba is going to give them a lot of problems. It is going to be a very hard game, we have to be solid at the back, close down Gerrard and Torres, if we can do that then we stand a chance. If we back off and give the ball away then they will beat us easily.

We need to get a corner first.

As we can't complete a forward pass that might be difficult.

As one who went to Anfield on the Monday night after Hillsborough I would very much like to attend this small ceremony. Do we know what time the wreath will be laid? I shall have Tom with me so I need a bit of warning to gte myself there on time. Thanks.

As for the game? Well getting some tickets seemed like a good idea at the time! :)

As of last night the time hadn't been set as Martin was waiting for the Liverpool guy to get back to him. As and when I get a time I'll post it on here. A warning that it's likely to be between 11.00 and 12.00 i.e. well before the game.

I am at my Office in Liverpool this morning and there are a lot of depressed people around !!! :closedeyes:

We have a plumber in (blocked sink) who is an ex-Blackburn lad and exiled rovers fan...he loves my 2 signed shirts on my office wall and the signed rovers footballs and photos...I hope that I don't have the mickey taken out of me when I come in next week after the Liverpool game. :angry2:

WARNING THE FOLLOWING MAY NOT INCLUDE MUCH ABOUT THE MATCH ON SATURDAY AS WE'RE GOING TO GET UTTERLY STUFFED

Right, sorry for the delay, I got knobbled with this Monday, and my home PC decided to melt Monday night so a bit of a rush job so I reverted to finding someone semi famous that I knew who was remotely related to teh topic in hand and asked them whether they'd help. So with out further delay here's the Preview (woo and indeed hoo)

Dileep Premachandran is a cricket journalist of international renown, an associate editor with Cricinfo and the asian cricket correspondent for the Sunday Times and Inside Sport, with columns in the Times (The Doosra), Guardian and Cricinfo, he is also an avid Liverpool fan, and as I've been lumbered with this at short notice, and unlike the other Scouse fans I know, he can string whole words and sentences together in proper English, he’s been pestered into giving a quick interview /preview.

1.. So Dileep, I know you don't have a bubble perm or 'Tasche, so why support Liverpool?

I spent five years in Warrington as a kid. Almost all my best friends were United fans, but I was most influenced by a friend's father, who had a huge picture of Bill Shankly in his living room. The classic pose, with arms held aloft acknowledging the Kop. That picture really grabbed me, and it still does. And then there was King Kenny, who was the player I most wanted to emulate. Needless to say, like everyone else, I failed miserably.

2. Who’s your favourite player of the current side, and of all the time you've been following Liverpool?

Favourite player is Jamie Carragher, whose commitment is a lesson to every other pro. All time, it has to be King Kenny, though Robbie Fowler and Steven Gerrard come pretty close.

3. I suppose I have to ask, is this the year that the majority of scouse fans become even more insufferable, and after 18 years of failure, will they finally get hold of the Premiership Title?

Not taking a thing for granted. The scars of the botch-up in 1996-97 still haunt me. I often wonder how differently poor Roy Evans would be remembered now if that team hadn't fallen apart in the run-in. They played some fantastic football. But fingers crossed that United will stumble even more.

4. What would you prefer? Another European title or the Premiership?

That's a no-brainer for me. After 15 years of taunts from United fans. No one can taunt us about our European record.

5. 2 months ago, Liverpool were absolutely bobbins (well compared to us you were rather good, but its all relative). What was going wrong and why/how did it turn into the run you're on now?

Without Torres, teams found it far easier to predict how Liverpool would play. The likes of Reira had some poor games, and we just seemed to lack some energy. Though I wish Benitez wouldn't talk too much, I disagree that his comments about Ferguson were responsible.

The run right now is down mainly to the options we have with Gerrard playing off Torres, and the solidity provided by Xabi Alonso and Monster Masch.

6. Bar Torres and Gerrard, who do you think will Liverpool's biggest player on Saturday?

Carra will always be a crowd favourite, but I think many have taken Mascherano to their hearts as well.

7. Who, if anyone do you fear from the Rovers team?

I think Benni McCarthy can be a real handful some days. He's had some superb afternoons at Anfield. And I've always rated Big Sam as a Premiership manager.

8. What do you think the score will be?

I think the Chelsea game tonight could take a lot out of Liverpool. I'd happily settle for 1-0 or 2-0 just to make sure the pressure stays on United. I'll stick my neck out and say 2-0.

To be honest, I can’t see Rovers getting anything out of this, and if we concede less than 5, I’ll be gobsmacked so I’ll move onto more interesting things..

9. As England are hosting the World Twenty20 championships this summer, who should we put that £10 on to win? And how badly will England fail?

Both South Africa and India look excellent bets. New Zealand would be a good outside flutter. Can't see England going beyond the semis, at best, and that too only if KP and Fred really fire.

10. Other than sticking the ECB in a bag and then beating with sticks, what solutions/players would you suggest to make us a decent limited overs side?

Take one-day cricket and T20 seriously, for a start. Andrew Strauss as captain doesn't really send a very strong message does it. Invest in some exciting young players like Denly and see what happens.

11. Who would you pick to bat at number 3 for us against the Aussies in Cardiff? And would you play Harmison? Or stick him in the bag with the rest of the ECB and apply the stick repeatedly?

If the options are Bell and Shah, I'd [shock-horror] go for Vaughan. I still think the Aussies fear him. And even if he has just the odd good innings, his tactical inputs could be invaluable on the field. I detest Harmison's attitude, and if the chips were down, he'd be the last man I picked. To win the Ashes, you're going to need some bottle. Keep faith in Broad and Anderson for now. And Fred of course. At least, they're not wanting to be home.

So thanks again to Dileep for doing this at short notice, if you like cricket, or just very good sports writing, please look up his blogs on www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog www.cricinfo.com www.timesonline.typepad.com/the_doosra

Archived