BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sensitive Topic

I noticed Kuyt mocking the whole gesture bull by doing it at the Hull match after he had scored.

As we all know the media love to sensationalise and cult-ify (in want of a real word) events to maximise their money. This, I believe, is what is happening with Hillsborough. It's not enough as a tragedy - it has to be something that engrosses the world of football. Extreme emotions are all the the media are interested in these days.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sam Allardyce has now become a "hate figure" for Liverpool fans according to an article on an Anfield website.

Liverpool fans are angry and upset that in the week of the 20th Anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy, Sam Allardyce and Alex Ferguson launched a combined attack on Rafa Benitez for an apparent 'gesture' at Anfield.

On the Liverpool website "All Things Red", Allardyce and Ferguson's attack on Benitez is described as "sickening", with the author of the article upset that both men launched the attack during a week that the club was mourning the loss of 96 of its fans.

Ominously the author of the piece says: "As Allardyce will soon find out, we don't forget things like this lightly."

A link to the article here

Absolutely pathetic. This totally undermines their cause and must be considered an insult to the relatives and friends of those who lost their lives. I'm dumbfounded, these people are scum.

This from a guy that was holding back tears when watching a recent documentary on the incident.

Absolutely pathetic. This totally undermines their cause and must be considered an insult to the relatives and friends of those who lost their lives. I'm dumbfounded, these people are scum.

This from a guy that was holding back tears when watching a recent documentary on the incident.

It's a blog. Written by one person. It's probably rubbish.

We all saw Stevie Warnock carry a tribute to the Kop on behalf of the players 3 weeks ago. Earlier in the day the Chairman of the BRFC Fans Forum placed a tribute at the Hillsborough Memorial on Anfield Road.

Both gestures were applauded and welcomed by Liverpool fans. The official response from both LFC and the HJC is a fantastic tribute to our club, our fans and staff - and I hope those letters of thanks are eventually allowed to be shared.

Gestures on the touchline were never mentioned until 6 days after the game. Ferguson instigated it, and he's a canny manager.

• 2 weeks later...
24th anniversary of Bradford fire today.

Bradford remembers

Will there be blanket media coverage for the 25th anniversary next year? I somehow doubt it.

Thanks for that bill.... I'd not noticed it in the news which just backs up my opening post. There is obviously no benefit to be had and no hidden agenda in mourning the Bradford disaster. We really are a gullible society these days.

Thanks for that bill.... I'd not noticed it in the news which just backs up my opening post. There is obviously no benefit to be had and no hidden agenda in mourning the Bradford disaster. We really are a gullible society these days.

There was quite a bit of coverage locally regarding the fire. Other than that I did not notice any national coverage.

There was quite a bit of coverage locally regarding the fire. Other than that I did not notice any national coverage.

Indeed Jordan. It's not the mourning it's the motives that makes me squirm a little.

I've never even heard of the Bradford fire until reading about it on here.

Make of that what you will.

You should have made that post 9 pages ago dopper. It might have avoided a few arguments and plenty of accusations.

This is a fascinating thread and well done to thenodrog for having the courage to bring it up. In this post-Diana 'outpouring of grief' era there is this compulsion to make grief into a media event. I'm yet to be convinced how it benefits the people who are most in need of consideration - the grieving families themselves. Yes, it certainly sells newspapers & makes for sensational TV. God forbid I've never lost a loved one at a sporting event but if I had I suspect I'd be wanting to cope with the loss in private, surrounded by family, rather than in the glare of the media with millions looking on and people who didnt even know my departed loved one 'paying tribute'.

I also object to the 'minutes silence' being abused and overused. A recent England game had a minute's silence for the team doctor. I remember standing for a minute's silence at Ewood a few years ago for the commentator Brian Moore. Both were deaths we should acknowledge, via obituaries in the papers and tributes on TV from people who knew them, but the minutes silence foisted on us in both cases were, in my opinion, inappropriate.

This is a fascinating thread and well done to thenodrog for having the courage to bring it up. In this post-Diana 'outpouring of grief' era there is this compulsion to make grief into a media event. I'm yet to be convinced how it benefits the people who are most in need of consideration - the grieving families themselves. Yes, it certainly sells newspapers & makes for sensational TV. God forbid I've never lost a loved one at a sporting event but if I had I suspect I'd be wanting to cope with the loss in private, surrounded by family, rather than in the glare of the media with millions looking on and people who didnt even know my departed loved one 'paying tribute'.

I also object to the 'minutes silence' being abused and overused. A recent England game had a minute's silence for the team doctor. I remember standing for a minute's silence at Ewood a few years ago for the commentator Brian Moore. Both were deaths we should acknowledge, via obituaries in the papers and tributes on TV from people who knew them, but the minutes silence foisted on us in both cases were, in my opinion, inappropriate.

Correct. We are now frequently expected to stand for a minute for people that we have never even heard of!

"and well done to thenodrog for having the courage to bring it up" Why does it take courage HY? I post what I see and imo the grieving relatives are being used to an extent by the press and media and even worse by the club Liverpool FC who imo are thinking with a 'long head' on this. I hesitate as yet to suggest crocodile tears but in another generation they will be as the Hillsborough disaster is utilised as blatently as the Munich crash is being now to further the myth / reputation / aura of the club.

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've just seen this video thats been floating around the net a while. This kind of thing really grates on me, this is a group of the ultimate football victims, Liverpool fans, mocking Munich again. Imagine the uproar if any fans dared to mock Hillsborough (which would be equally as sick) . I just hate hypocrisy and they seem to excel in it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/munich/v...season-do_sport

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've just seen this video thats been floating around the net a while. This kind of thing really grates on me, this is a group of the ultimate football victims, Liverpool fans, mocking Munich again. Imagine the uproar if any fans dared to mock Hillsborough (which would be equally as sick) . I just hate hypocrisy and they seem to excel in it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/munich/v...season-do_sport

Can't believe this surpises anyone

Just shows the mentality of em. It besmirches the name of the late great Bill Shankly. He would have had that bloke shot if he could.

btw people keen on elevating the Hillsborough disaster to the way overblown level of the Munich one been wandering the streets of London this weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8110552.stm

What is the intention of this stuff? Will it lead to financial gain? Will it bring anybody back? Will we see a return to capital punishment for certain members of South Yorks police? OR Will it make some of the Liverpool supporters who were there that day look in a mirror perhaps? I suggest the answer to all of those is NO.

• 2 months later...

Deeply offensive football shirt from Mike Ashley's Sports Direct company....

The Sports Direct clothing chain - owned by the repugnant Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley - have been described as "an absolute disgrace" by the chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James was killed at the Hillsborough tragedy 20 years ago, said that Sports Direct should be ashamed of itself after printing an offensive football shirt relating to the Hillsborough disaster.

One Manchester United fan who bought the shirt posted images of it on Facebook to mock the Hillsborough victims. The back of the shirt was printed with "96 Not Enough" in reference to the number of Liverpool fans who died in the disaster. Above the number '96' were the words "You Scouse B*stards".

A deeply unpleasant football shirt. The Man United fan who had it printed should be ashamed of himself and Sports Direct should have known better.

LINK HERE

Meanwhile, 20 years after the tragedy, Sheffield Wednesday have announced plans for a major revamp of the Leppings Lane end of the ground where 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives. The Hillsborough Stadium is set to undergo a £22m redevelopment, increasing the ground's capacity from 39,000 to 45,000. Work is expected to be completed by the end of 2013.

Sheffield Wednesday, who have been out of the top flight for nine years since 2000, believe that the redevelopment will help Hillsborough to be chosen by the FA as a potential host venue for England's World Cup 2018 bid. Currently only seven English football grounds have a capacity of over 45,000 - Wembley, Old Trafford, The Emirates Stadium, St James' Park, The Stadium of Light, Eastlands and Anfield.

Having Hillsborough as a World Cup venue could be a controversial choice among Merseysiders, as the ground still holds painful memories for the survivors of the tragedy. In his autobiography, Kenny Dalglish said that he turned down a job as manager of Sheffield Wednesday, because the club's home ground still holds distressing memories for him. Kenny said that he wouldn't have been able to cope with having to be at the stadium every other week on matchdays.

Below is an artist's impression of how the new Hillsborough Stadium will look.

article-0-0619E1CC000005DC-237_468x264.jpg

Archived