BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Revamped Riverside Stand ?

Wonderful archive - thanks for posting it.

It's mentioned in the video comments section but the action of Accrington's star bowler would not be allowed these days. He's a chucker !

The local cricket match was obviously a big social occasion and everyone looks smartly dressed and very clean, signs of a happy and prosperous community (note the factory working hard belching out smoke in the background) before the first world war when the Empire was at its zenith and the Lancashire mill towns were in full employment.

Then came 1914 - 18. I wonder how many of those in the footage survived ?

The 'factory', pretty sure that is the old Hapton colliery with the power station to it's right, could be wrong though.;)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a steadfast rule that you cannot have standing in stadiums...I'd like to see the riverside changed to terracing, and the prices siginificently reduced for that area....

:blink: ST's are already as cheap as chips in there.

Anyway if you really want something it normally has value added. So how much more would you be prepared to pay to stand?

The ground looked crammed - wonder what the attendance was. (EDIT found it - 42,000)

Riverside looked massive!

Yep, the attendance was 42,312 - it was the season we beat Huddersfield in the FA Cup final.

Amazingly we got a higher crowd (43,700) when we beat Port Vale in the previous round.

The crowds at Ewood in the league were considerably lower - Everton 39,300 the highest and Arsenal 9,656 the lowest. United in the league was 18,243 whilst Burnley drew 32,441.

Back in the FA Cup, the following season saw Ewood bursting with 62,522 against Bolton in round 6.

Great days.

:blink: ST's are already as cheap as chips in there.

Anyway if you really want something it normally has value added. So how much more would you be prepared to pay to stand?

Ok, keep the prices the same...just I like the idea of a standing area where people of a like mind can go and jump around, make some noise, etc., and hopefully make the current view that we get on the telly a little more appealing than a ###### old stand half empty most of the time...You could make sections and give a section to away supporters who would prefer to stand.

Ok, keep the prices the same...just I like the idea of a standing area where people of a like mind can go and jump around, make some noise, etc., and hopefully make the current view that we get on the telly a little more appealing than a ###### old stand half empty most of the time...You could make sections and give a section to away supporters who would prefer to stand.

You can (unofficially) stand up in the Darwen End. The stewards only object to standing on the steps but not in front of a seat ;)

Why not simply give the entire Riverside over to away fans. Poor attendance would therefore not reflect on us and it would be away fans who would be seen trudging off with 10 mins still to play.

Why not simply give the entire Riverside over to away fans. Poor attendance would therefore not reflect on us and it would be away fans who would be seen trudging off with 10 mins still to play.

Oi . are you telling me fans don't leave early in other parts of the ground? The problem on the Riverside is that it's so visible (the same poor design that put the family stand at the Blackburn end). Those around me on the Riverside stay to the bitter (or glorious) end. P***d off with cheap jibes at genuine fans. Where you sit has more to do with individual finances and family arrangements than how much you love your team. Do you do a 180 mile round trip to get to every home match?

This might be a stupid question, but how come we could fill up our stadium much more extensively in the 20's and 30's. Where have the fans gone? I am not talking about the capacity per say, more so the demand to get into Ewood Park.

It is misleading, league attendances were on the whole similar or worse than we get now.

However, the FA Cup was a different matter entirely, think an older fan will have to enlighten you to those cup tie afternoons.

This might be a stupid question, but how come we could fill up our stadium much more extensively in the 20's and 30's. Where have the fans gone? I am not talking about the capacity per say, more so the demand to get into Ewood Park.

It was one of the more popular entertainments of the time. All they had was cinema/Music halls. No TV computer games or the internet.

Oh and they knew what time the games kicked off.

It was one of the more popular entertainments of the time. All they had was cinema/Music halls. No TV computer games or the internet.

Oh and they knew what time the games kicked off.

Don't underestimate the fact that Blackburn had a far larger eligible population then too, and entry costs were far far cheaper relatively.

Oi . are you telling me fans don't leave early in other parts of the ground? The problem on the Riverside is that it's so visible (the same poor design that put the family stand at the Blackburn end). Those around me on the Riverside stay to the bitter (or glorious) end. P***d off with cheap jibes at genuine fans. Where you sit has more to do with individual finances and family arrangements than how much you love your team. Do you do a 180 mile round trip to get to every home match?

Sheffield? 90 miles from Blackburn? Only of your a numpty and head off for Newcastle first.

Avoid the M1/M62, 120 mile round trip at best.

Just a thought on sponsorship........if Syed buys the club anyone want to guess who the shirt sponsor will be next season??

WGA for me!!!!

Was thinking the same, a few weeks ago when we were debating the money coming into clubs in the future from their owners.

Could even be McCabe if their is a problem with it coming directly from the owner.

Archived