BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Revamped Riverside Stand ?

Obviously if preston blue says that, it's true, but it's a very strange way of thinking.

It will have to be done at some point, and every year they leave it, the cost of replacement gets more and more expensive.

Must be hoping to put it off until after they've sold, and leave someone else with the problem.

Actually, in the current climate, the cost of construction has been reduce with so many companies desperate for work. But that is slightly off topic.

I would think that the board haven't developed Riverside due to the lack of support. We don't fill the ground now, and it would only serve to de-motivate the players if they were playing in a bigger, and therefore more empty, stadium.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Vinjay606
Obviously if preston blue says that, it's true, but it's a very strange way of thinking.

It will have to be done at some point, and every year they leave it, the cost of replacement gets more and more expensive.

Must be hoping to put it off until after they've sold, and leave someone else with the problem.

At some point but the current stand is still in excellent condition. It could last for several years yet though I hope we don't have to find out.

Actually, in the current climate, the cost of construction has been reduce with so many companies desperate for work. But that is slightly off topic.

I would think that the board haven't developed Riverside due to the lack of support. We don't fill the ground now, and it would only serve to de-motivate the players if they were playing in a bigger, and therefore more empty, stadium.

Average attendance isn't that much lower than in 1999 and Jack planned for it to be done then. I think the average attendance in 01/02 was higher than in 98/99 so if Jack had been here I can't see why he wouldn't have re developed then.

So, if the attendance is still below capacity, what's the point of building a new stand that won't be filled, where's the benefit?

Is it because it would look good on TV? Why spend money to no advantage.

The bottom line is, it hasn't been built, so what's the point of prattling on about it?

I would have thought the object was to finish the stadium off cosmetically by putting something in which looked the business on TV, blended in with the rest of the stadium, had up to date facilities, had shared or multi uses and kept the capacity the same or very slightly more than at present.

I don't think there's any notions of building a monster which would take the capacity up to 40k like Jack originally got a design for!

Guest Vinjay606
So, if the attendance is still below capacity, what's the point of building a new stand that won't be filled, where's the benefit?

Is it because it would look good on TV? Why spend money to no advantage.

The bottom line is, it hasn't been built, so what's the point of prattling on about it?

The point is whether it was in Jack's plans to rebuild after promotion. I have no doubt it was his plan. Like I said the average attendance in 01/02 was higher than in 98/99 (I think) so why wouldn't he have put it back on the agenda.

It's not about how it looks on Tv. There's enough camera angles to showcase the other stands. I'm sure the vast majority of premier league viewers know the other 3 stands are far superior.

Still doesn't make it in "excellent condition" as you quoted :blink:

How about good condition then?

The point is whether it was in Jack's plans to rebuild after promotion. I have no doubt it was his plan. Like I said the average attendance in 01/02 was higher than in 98/99 (I think) so why wouldn't he have put it back on the agenda.

It's not about how it looks on Tv. There's enough camera angles to showcase the other stands. I'm sure the vast majority of premier league viewers know the other 3 stands are far superior.

How about good condition then?

Rarely used, a handfull of carefull owners

Spurs have said the cost of rebuilding White Hart ane has fallen by £40m compared with the original estimate because of the crunch.

That said, rebuilding the Riverside probably comes last on any list of priorities at present.

If I remember rightly rovers looked into developing the riverside but their were problems with the foundations as they wold have to build over the river and would cost too much. Secondly we very rarely sell out in-the riverside so what is the point of having another half empty stand? thats going to look brilliant on TV isn't it

Guest Vinjay606

It's obviously judged to be in good condition otherwise it wouldn't pass the safety standards. Unless you're accusing the club of putting fans at risk?

It's obviously judged to be in good condition otherwise it wouldn't pass the safety standards. Unless you're accusing the club of putting fans at risk?

Something that meets the required standards does not neccessarily mean it is in good condition Vinjay, come on everyone knows that, come across with a more valid point, or admit you were wrong.

Maybe one day ozzie, good job mate.

TBH I usually sit in the riverside but took up the Darwen End offer because the facilities in the riverside are shocking.

The structure itself is fine and basic but the actual layout is shocking, toilets are at the bottom to the sides, the beer stalls are tiny with only room to serve 1 or 2 people at a time. There is one small exit for those at the top of the stand, a few small screens to watch the game whilst having a beer.

The thing about the riverside is the atmosphere it can create. Me and my mates used to sit it the Blackburn end but we moved to the riverside after the Burnley game in the cup. The atmosphere in there that night was amazing, the whole stand was shaking and vibrating.

If it was possible to build a cheap new modern stand with better facilities I personnally think it would bring a few more fans back. However this would depend on ticket pricing as a lot of people sit in the riverside as a cheaper option. The stand could be the same capacity as the current one but with the seating more spaced out. Do the club make much with the hospitality suits? As they could create some more boxes within a new stand. As has been mentioned maybe a hotel could be included or something that would help to bring in more revenue.

However as we all know funds have dried up and it would be a big risk building something like this with the clubs top flight status not guarenteed, plus the financial implications that come with relegation (maybe not this year). But a new stand will need to be built one day surely so it may be best to build it now whilst we are in the top flight.

Looks amazing ozzie. Just wish we had the fans to make is viable

It's not on the verge of collapse is it?

The Riverside is far from excellent. The condition is of some concern and the lack of facilities is poor.

Someone a while back mentioned the figure that has to be spent yearly on the up keep of the Riverside and at some point the constant year on year increase in this amount will amount to them paying more overall than the cost of building a new stand, even if it is only a small stand with media facilties on the roof! Further to that I would think the Premier League will bring in minimum standards, maybe after Fulham and Pompey have moved!

Think this has been mentioned, but if the TV gantry was on top of the Riverside, the atmos wpuld sound much better on the tele.

Burnley's popular end is right under theie tv gantry and as a result the commentators go on about the atmosphere. Not really suprising. You can hear their individual voices coming thro the microphone.

Think this has been mentioned, but if the TV gantry was on top of the Riverside, the atmos wpuld sound much better on the tele.

Burnley's popular end is right under theie tv gantry and as a result the commentators go on about the atmosphere. Not really suprising. You can hear their individual voices coming thro the microphone.

"Pass that thar moonshine Cletus"

I think the angle of the sun is a bit of a problem too.

Of course, the quality of the three present newer stands is excellent, way above anything elsewhere. For all its hype, The Emirates is a concoction of concrete, tin and plastic, and the concrete on the outside is already beginning to look rough. Plus they are still messing around sorting the surroundings out. Same with Eastlands. Our concourses are a work of art as jack wanted. Just a cheap rebuild of the Fraser Eagle will not do, unless of course we put the away fans in part of it, but as far as I am concerned they can sit on the roof out of the way!

A cheaper option would be to leave the seats as they are and simply raise the roof/replace the roof in line with the other three stands in terms of design and height. Also provide a better concourse at the rear with obviously improved facilities. I'm no architect or structural engineer but does £3-4m seem about right and if it is, could it be justified? I suppose it could if the money was funded like a mortgage over several years rather than Rovers stumping up the cash up front. In other words, doing it that way would not impinge on transfer funds, which given our current plight would have to be a necessity. Perhaps the Trust could put up the money and in gratitude the Rovers could rename the stand 'The Mystery Men Stand.'

Archived