BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Revamped Riverside Stand ?

So. He wants to make Ewood into a 45000 seater stadium.

Why add 15000 more empty seats?

We cannot fill existing home fan seats, as demonstrated at the Everton match.

He's never been to Blackburn before! Wait till he samples the weather and the town and sees the River Darwen and lack of car parking space.

Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant but I have my doubts about this chap. Good intentions, yes. But when he sees reality for himself he might just change his mind.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's never been to Blackburn before! Wait till he samples the weather and the town and sees the River Darwen and lack of car parking space.

Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant but I have my doubts about this chap. Good intentions, yes. But when he sees reality for himself he might just change his mind.

He was at ewood the other day (pictures are on the net somewhere)

He's a multi billionaire businesman, not a mug. He won't have just picked Rovers out of a hat and said "I'll buy that one"

He would have analysed it to the last detail.

If some people on here found a naked Cheryl Cole laying in their bed one night; they'd probably still complain that she had broken in.

I don't think it would take much to fill those seats. All Rovers fans need is hope. Sign a Craig Bellamy and a Jamie O'Hara, just two examples, and I think those seats would start to fill in.

If some people on here found a naked Cheryl Cole laying in their bed one night; they'd probably still complain that she had broken in.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think it would take much to fill those seats. All Rovers fans need is hope. Sign a Craig Bellamy and a Jamie O'Hara, just two examples, and I think those seats would start to fill in.

:huh:

lack of car parking space.

We have plenty of large parking areas - how about we just stick a multi storey on one of them....problem solved & another source of income for the club :tu:

He was at ewood the other day (pictures are on the net somewhere)

No he wasnt - his team was

IF (and it's a huge if) he could somehow capture the imagination of the local Asian population we'd fill a larger stadium with some ease.

Slap a pole in the middle of the pitch, Naked Cheryl Cole,

45000 seats filled no problem.

A post I made on Roversmad last night...I would re-write it to be more specific to here, but I don't have time right now. There were also some minor grammatical and perhaps other flaws, I apologise for not sorting these first, but I did write it quite hurriedly as thoughts came off my head. These are just thoughts as I say...slam me for them if you've got nothing better to do:

Here are some of the thoughts I've had mulling over this capacity expansion plan today, before reading this thread.

I think 45k is definitely too much for us at this point in our history (let's not forget, our record crowd is in the region of 60k though is it not? And somebody mentioned how we haven't had over 40k crowds since the capacity was changed, but the bigger point is we USED TO). However, I think building the Riverside up to make our capacity circa 40k COULD be a good idea under the currently proposed new ownership. Here is why:

* We currently have an average gate of circa 25k per game. IMO, we would need to raise this to close to 35k per game to make a 40k seater worthwhile. Don't forget, we sometimes DO pretty much sell out Ewood as it is. IMO, people who think we should have a capacity that only caters for our average are being stupid, as it means the games where we sell a lot more, we are turning away paying customers. I feel Ewood is the perfect size for our crowds at present, as it is only ego which makes a few thousand seats being empty matter. So, we need a 10k per game increase...how?

* There are varying figures, but is fair to say that the Asian population of Blackburn is somewhere from 20-40 percent (please don't get into a boring dispute about this, I'm leaving a wide range because it is unclear- people usually exaggerate or use the figures which suit their argument best). So that means about 20-40k Asians. I'm not under any illusions- we will NOT make all of these people as keen on football as most of us are in any kind of hurry, and some of them already do follow us. But it is largely untapped potential, and I would find it hard to believe that with the right marketing by an owner who shares religion with most of them and can help degrade the likely perception that Rovers is a "white man's thing" and in some cases that they aren't welcome around Ewood, we couldn't get somewhere from 1-3k added to the gate, even after some racists may depart through ignorance (good riddance).

* This is a big if given the investment figures, but IF the new owner keeps ticket pricing policy pretty much as it is, our almost inevitable forward movement in terms of league position, playing staff and entertainment value would definitely add a bit more to the gate. He also talks about improving the area in and around Ewood, which makes it more appealing for a day out. Another few thousand perhaps.

* One of the men heading Syed's team is a marketing expert who has worked with 18 top French clubs and, by the sounds of it, has achieved decent results with them. It looks probable he will work on us in this manner. He has much more expertise and experience than our marketing men, all due respect to them. Hopefully, especially with our (hopeful) surge from new investment, he should be able to draw in fans who support us but don't really attend anymore, daytrippers from around Lancs who want cheap, entertaining, top-level football, and other avenues of support. Raising our status and success in general can also help fend off (long-term) the theft of support in our own area by United, Liverpool etc.

* Part of our attendances are away fans. If our status rises, so does the lure of coming to see their team play us. The impact of this could be minimal, since a lot of away fans already regard us as the best day out in the Prem, especially for the prices, and some teams already sell out their allocation (which a bigger stadium might allow us to increase, though) but I'm sure it would have SOME impact. Variable factor dependent on the supporter base of the visiting club.

* Syed has a long-term (15 years onwards) investment planned, and we are in the middle of a recession. The recession will end at some point in this 15 years, and people around Lancashire will have more disposable income for luxury pursuits.

* The "unknown factor". Syed seems to have some plans to achieve his goals that he hasn't really laid out yet. He could have any number of surprises up his sleeve- let's not forget, he is an established and successful businessman. I'm half expecting us to try to bring David Beckham to the club, even if on a short-term basis. I believe Allardyce has mentioned he'd like to do this in the past (the set pieces would suit Big Sam to a tee), and with a new owner and money it might become a possibility. Albeit a difficult one to pull off, we can't rule it out completely like we could previously. A Beckham-esque signing could add a few thousand to the gate in itself, amongst a myriad of other possible effects. Obviously, it isn't even known if this is planned yet, I just use it as an example.

All of this requires a lot of things to come together, but I think the signs are actually rather promising. As I say, I think it is better to build too big than too small, so whilst I think 45k is probably too much, 40k might make for a reasonable size that we could maybe or nearly fill a few times a season. One of the reasons our average attendance isn't slightly higher is because we do sometimes sell out...a slightly bigger stadium would mean a bit more sold, and a tiny boost to our averages. Don't forget, this guy is a long-term planner, and better to build it now and be too big than have to rebuild it bigger if say, the town has an economic and population boost, etc.

Also, let us not forget that even Jack Walker once had plans in proposal to rebuild and expand the Riverside. In fact I distinctly recall him saying if we qualified for Europe, he would do it. We qualified. He didn't do it. But the idea didn't seem totally alien to him.

+ 20% of all people in Blackburn with Darwen council are muslims. The total population according to wiki is approx 140 000.

IF we have 23 000 people attending games today where 2% are muslims and 30% comes from other places than Blackburn with Darwen that means 68% of 23 000 = 15 640 people are from Darwen with Blackburn. IF we are able with Ahsal Ali Syeds help to attract only 5% of the 20% muslims in Blackburn with Darwen area we will add another 7000 people to the games. Giving us 30 000+.

At least that is a start and should be a joint for all involved (supporters, management, owners) to get as much people as involved. What I love about football is that it brings all people together no matter race, culture, sex etc.

I am pretty onetrailed guy, but I always seem to get along better with people who are interested in the beatiful game of football.

I apologize if this post made a lot more meaning in my head than written :huh:

Bellamy and O'Hara would fill seats????? I'll have a pint of what your on...

Possibly Guti & Beckham would put bums on seats.

At the Everton game on Saturday we were in the region of 4k from filling the stadium. Granted Everton brought what I'd say was about 5 or 6k but that's very good attendance to say we have made no signings over the summer, we have a large doom and gloom brigade, Sam is still battling to win over a section of supporters and reports on here stated ST sales would be well down on last season. A good start to the season, a good signing before the transfer window closes and a cup run would see Ewood fill up a little more. The take over going through would bring back the feel good factor at Ewood and gradually make us into a force again bringing back the fair weather fans.

I would love to see the Riverside redeveloped and brought in line with the rest of the stadium. If this was carried out to incorporate a hotel, train station and first class corporate facility it would really put Ewood Park on the map. I also feel that with the redevelopment of the stadium and taking the club to the next level or two that season ticket prices would have to rise, saying this I would hope that there would be loyalty discounts that used to be available to ST holders.

Want more bums on seats? Do what Celtic used to do - FREE entry for kids under a certain age (say 12).

GAURANTEE that will have a big impact, it will make it more affordable for Families, Its cheaper for the lad/ dad day out without mum moaning too much...and best of all they get hooked...by the tim ethey hit 12 they still want to keep coming back.

Beckham signing would also impact on sales - NO DOUBT about + a big increase in shirt sales all over.

Unlucky Morton is right. Action all moving in a progressive direction will act as a magnet to fill the stadium and then allow us to think about a 37,500 upgrade.

Uncle jack's revolution will by then be 20 years back and we need to go on again:

- covered link to train station(sponsored by Rovers and called THE STADIUM)

- Hotel with sport and entertainment facilities

- the new RiverSyed Centre(copyright Mhead)stretching to the BRIC with impressive entrance to Hotel and other facilities

- a new flexible seating arrangement for Pitch-side that can expand according to demand

- business facilities to encourage Service Companies to locate there

- a proper "Rovers' experience Museum linked to Club Shop

- and a front onto Bolton Road at last(get those 100 yards of terraced houses bought)

- and a ROVERS environment created from the M65 to the old Infirmary site(maintained by the Club)

I have other even more progressive ideas but lets start with these and hope Mr Syed's advisers read the web-site.

And again Mr Syed we are with you on your 'passion' for "OUR" Club.

how can the area around rovers be improved? without upsetting anyone who lives around there its ewood and not knightsbridge. it would involve lots of bulldozers and pikey shifters. a hotel? who would want a room with a view of the manxman ? railway station yea all for that buts lets keep it real about evrything instaed of creaming on your keyboards.

yea lets buy robinho,messi,ronaldo and rooney ,yea right.

Its called 'change' and its called Economic Development.

People living round Ewood will complain now about their situation

and reserve the right to complain again if things are uplifted.

Just wish it would not rain so much(FACT)

how can the area around rovers be improved? without upsetting anyone who lives around there its ewood and not knightsbridge. it would involve lots of bulldozers and pikey shifters. a hotel? who would want a room with a view of the manxman ? railway station yea all for that buts lets keep it real about evrything instaed of creaming on your keyboards.

Quite right Abbey. There'll be hell to pay when the candy is taken back off em.

Ideas to develop Ewood (THINK BIG - HA)...

you just ignore it Abbey if you dont like Talking about it!

• Rebuild RiverSyed (© mhead) to mirror the Jack Walker stand….taking the capacity to around 38,000 (Plenty for now).
  • Attach 4/5 star hotel with Spa & Gym facilities to new stand & include plenty of high-tech conference rooms, consider hotel rooms facing onto the ground…and perhaps a quality restaurant such as Northcote @ Ewood….Rent out conference facilities and allow members of the gym/ spa.
  • Rebuild Car-park at the Darwen End – instead of the current set up, perhaps build a multi-storey (something similar to Blackburn Town Centre perhaps – i.e. 5-6 floors)…this will get a nice extra income stream for the club & resolve any parking issues.
  • Build a rail link at the Back of the stadium to make it more accessible for fans.
  • New, bigger Blues bar at Blackburn End(Always packed – more money to be made here), perhaps also build another one at the Darwen End, rather than pubs such as Fernhurst taking all the income that could instead come to the club.
  • Perhaps look at adding commercial property such as Cinema, Bollywood Cinema, Restaurant, Bars, shops, nightclub, casion etc…
  • Perhaps consider the use of Ewood for International games, U-21’s, Music events etc…

Ideas to develop Ewood (THINK BIG - HA)...

you just ignore it Abbey if you dont like Talking about it! .........OK SORRY LORD ALMIGHTY,EWOOD IS POSH YAY!

• Rebuild RiverSyed (© mhead) to mirror the Jack Walker stand….taking the capacity to around 38,000 (Plenty for now)...THERES EMPTY SEATS EVERY GAME!
  • Attach 4/5 star hotel with Spa & Gym facilities to new stand & include plenty of high-tech conference rooms, consider hotel rooms facing onto the ground…and perhaps a quality restaurant such as Northcote @ Ewood….Rent out conference facilities and allow members of the gym/ spa. ...HOW OFTEN WOULD THIS GET USED APART FROM MATCH DAYS?
  • Rebuild Car-park at the Darwen End – instead of the current set up, perhaps build a multi-storey (something similar to Blackburn Town Centre perhaps – i.e. 5-6 floors)…this will get a nice extra income stream for the club & resolve any parking issues....HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO GET OFF? MEN ARENA HAS ONE AND IT TAKES HOURS
  • Build a rail link at the Back of the stadium to make it more accessible for fans. ....COULDNT AGREE MORE
  • New, bigger Blues bar at Blackburn End(Always packed – more money to be made here), perhaps also build another one at the Darwen End, rather than pubs such as Fernhurst taking all the income that could instead come to the club. .. NO PROBS
  • Perhaps look at adding commercial property such as Cinema, Bollywood Cinema, Restaurant, Bars, shops, nightclub, casion etc…... BOLLYWOOD CINEMA? YEA EWOOD IS A GOOD PLACE FOR ONE OF THEM..IF I SAID LETS BUILD A CINEMA IN BASTWELL FOR HOLLYWOOD FILMS ONLY ,IT WOULD BE DEEMED RACIST!..NIGHTCLUB ,AYE BRING BACK THE GREATEST SLUTTYS...ITS EWOOD FFS!!
  • Perhaps consider the use of Ewood for International games, U-21’s, Music events etc…

We'll just keep it at the railway station then Abbey as you are too short sighted to see the big picture.

The residents of Ewood complained when the ground was originally redeveloped and when Furnhurst Farm was build. they complained about the bookies, Aldi and MacDonalds being built, They complained about the forming of the permanent travellers camp but all went ahead and have done no harm to the area.

Although not ideal, the position of Ewood Park has lots of potential for redevelopment. A hotel and leisure facilities is possible looking at the land owned by BRFC as Blackburn is lacking hotels, the upgrade of the Riversyed (sorry mhead) is a safe bet if Syed takes over. As for the veiw, do you often complain about views from hotels? What's wrong with somebody seeing the Manxman from their hotel window? What on earth do you expect to see out of a hotel room in Blackburn? Sydney Opera House? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain? :P

Back in 1997 I spoke to one of the senior staff at the Rovers who told me that the main incentive for changing the Riverside was to increase the Corporate Entertainment capacity. There were plans to build a hotel as part of the development. There was no desire to progress that if there wasn't the Corporate demand. The increase in capacity for 'ordinary' fans was not considered relevant as an economic need.

So if the Riverside is redeveloped and extra boxes are put in place together with some other ways of earning money (a hotel like the Reebok) it may not actually dramatically increase our crowd capacity. Maybe to 35,000.

On that basis it makes more sense but I suspect that whatever the prospective buyers are saying it will not be a priority.

Archived