BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Preview

Much as anyone might want to do so, it won't do any good to get on the players' backs, we need to back them. They have to play i without key colleagues and they need our support. We've been through all the arguments and there's not a lot of point in keeping on and on about it all, it isn't going to change our situation with injuries etc; when the players go out on the field for the remaining matches of the season they need us there to cheer them on.

Absolutely. As I've said elsewhere, this is 12th man time. Like the support at Stoke, we need to back them all whoever they are and wherever they came from (and who bought them!).

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct - Get behind the lads, no moaning, booing and casuing panick amongst the ranks - get behind them and roar them on to victory. Our fans were excellent at Stoke (Best away support by far this season) and hopefully that will be replicated at Ewood. Time for the Bburn end to rock.

If we play this one not to lose, we will certainly get beaten.

We should always play not to lose shouldn't we Philip? Sam's comments are really being jumped on by some folk, [don't really mean you here, Philip] but what he's saying is right. The way to approach any game is firstly not to lose it.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I can't see us winning or even get a point if we play the long ball game in this match. Maybe it would have worked if Jason and Santa were fit, but they're not, and we might as well play with no strikers if hoofball to Benni is our gameplan.

In my opinion, we might be in with a chance if our starting lineup is something like:

------------- Robinson ----------------

Ooijer -- Nelsen -- Samba -- Givet

--------------- Grella ------------------

Diouf -------- Dunn * -----Gamst Pedersen

-------------- Villanueva --------------

------------- McCarthy ----------------

* = Tugay on when Dunn's knackered

- Tugay instead of Grella with Grella coming on when Tugay's knackered might also be a possibility, and will give us more creativity

- Warnock is not a central midfielder, and Givet has been doing a good job as left back

- Grella surely can't be any worse than Mokoena and Andrews, and I'd hate to see any of them on the pitch vs Wigan

Guest Kamy100

What a strange synergy the Wigan game's have represented for Rovers this season.

It was Ince's 17th game in charge and it was basically a win or bust scenario, we got thumped and he was out of a job.

Now it's Sam's turn, it is also his 17th game in charge and again it is really a win or bust scenario. I firmly believe that this is going to be the seminal game for us, if we win in reality it means that we would only need another 3 points from the remaining four games. A loss or even a draw will mean that we are going to put huge pressure on ourselves.

No more excuses, players have to go out Sunday and get the result. I hope that the team selection is positive, if Roberts or RSC are fit or even nearly fit then they have to play, if not and Sam wants to play 4-5-1 then for me he needs to play Grella, Tuguy and Dunn in central midfield and ask them and also the two wingers to get up and support the front man.

We should always play not to lose shouldn't we Philip? Sam's comments are really being jumped on by some folk, [don't really mean you here, Philip] but what he's saying is right. The way to approach any game is firstly not to lose it.

Some food for thought.

When you have the ball you have 11 players all of them including the keeper can be involved in retaining possesion.

However when you don't have the ball you can instantly discount 2 players, the goalkeeper because he must defend the goal and one other outfield player generally a center half who has to mark the target striker. Effectively you have 9 men to win the ball back. This is a school of thought from spain and I agree with it, its part of the reason I do not and will never advocate playing for a draw or playing not to concede in the manner we currently do. Because it generally means we have less posession than the opposition and as such we play with 9 men for longer periods than the opposition.

So when we didn't have the ball against stoke Robbo must defend the goal and one of Samba and Nelsen has to mark Fuller, we must use the ball better in future to avoid this senario.

I'm thinking Hull will be more hapless than us Simon.

At the moment our goal difference is identical but they've scored one more than us. I think we'll end up above them. Boro, Hull and WBA to go down and us to finish just above them.

As for the Wigan game, it's a biggie that's for sure. If we win we should be nearly safe.

Those are the three that I think will go down, WBA, Boro & Hull in that order. Then it will be Newcastle and a toss up between Sunderland and us for the next place up. Five or six weeks ago I forcasted us to finish on 44-46 points. I'll have to revise that and say 41 points.

Interesting that Stoke was the best away atmosphere all season and virtually the whole stand was stood up throughout the game. That's what it should be like in the Blackburn End next weekend. Even more impressive was the array of songs and not just 'Big sam's Blue & White Army' done twenty three thousand times.

We definitely need to be the 12th man and when the chips are down, we can be.

I'm not one for getting on the players backs and always participate in doing my upmost and giving my all from the stands but how some of these guys have the cheek to pick up the pay packets that they do is beyond me.

Much as anyone might want to do so, it won't do any good to get on the players' backs, we need to back them.

this is 12th man time.

All good points. This could be a chicken and egg thing though. If the players show some spirit, they will get the full backing of the Rovers crowd. It might take a crucial, well timed tackle or a fantastic shot/save or even a poor refereeing decision that really gets the crowd behind them. Too many times at home we have to go a goal down to relieve the tension before us fans really get going. By the same token though, I'm sure a visible lack of effort on the pitch won't be tolerated and it could degenerate if there is any repeat of the start at the JJB.

From the fans point of view, we need to make sure we create the atmosphere from the first whistle which gets the players motivated rather than a quiet, nervy start both on and off the pitch. We may need to forgive a few stray passes or individual errors for the good of the team. Let's not get on Pedersen or Andrews backs and instead get behind them.

Make no mistake this is an important game but one of those that we can and should win if we want to stay in this division.

And let's for once not hear the away end shouting "your support is ****ing ***t" PLEASE - hopefully having a 1000+ Rovers supporters in there might help!

Those are the three that I think will go down, WBA, Boro & Hull in that order. Then it will be Newcastle and a toss up between Sunderland and us for the next place up. Five or six weeks ago I forcasted us to finish on 44-46 points. I'll have to revise that and say 41 points.

Interesting that Stoke was the best away atmosphere all season and virtually the whole stand was stood up throughout the game. That's what it should be like in the Blackburn End next weekend. Even more impressive was the array of songs and not just 'Big sam's Blue & White Army' done twenty three thousand times.

We definitely need to be the 12th man and when the chips are down, we can be.

I don't think we could afford the fine!

Totally agree Den.

But we need a secondly (go out and win from that platform) and that has been a problem for our squad of crocks recently.

We must be 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1 if RSC is not fit) as the Wigan attack do not need to rely on an Andrews misplaced pass to set themselves up to score against us.

Yep - totally agree - the fans have got to get behind the team right from the start. I think we will do. Especially given the extra people in the Darwen End.

I'd play:

-----Robbo-----

Ooijer--Nelsen--Givet--Warnock

Diouf--Grella--Dunn--MGP

------Samba--Benni----

The only time in the last 3 games where we have looked dangerous up front is the second half vs Spurs with Benni and Samba up front. I'd also stick Stevie back on the left, him and Morton do tend to get the best out of each other on that wing.

Bring Tugay on when Dunn hits the wall.

Yep - totally agree - the fans have got to get behind the team right from the start. I think we will do. Especially given the extra people in the Darwen End.

I'd play:

-----Robbo-----

Ooijer--Nelsen--Givet--Warnock

Diouf--Grella--Dunn--MGP

------Samba--Benni----

The only time in the last 3 games where we have looked dangerous up front is the second half vs Spurs with Benni and Samba up front. I'd also stick Stevie back on the left, him and Morton do tend to get the best out of each other on that wing.

Bring Tugay on when Dunn hits the wall.

Seconded, and have Andrews or Mokoena to come on when/if Grella does too. But you need to perservere with your #1 midfield as often as you can for as long as you can.

Waggy you wum, can you just not support the lads till the summer and then start bashing them once we know are fate, 99% of fans want to concentrate and help drive the team up, we don't need to read your negative childish stupid posts.

Mods can you please considier giving this jeb a ban?

:rover: time for us to call MR WHELAN at wigan,and ask a big favour of 3 pts because we won't get them from playing the lardarse way :brfcsmilie:

My understanding is that you are not watching rovers this season, so how do you know what way they are playing?

Surely if you can watch the game on a TV you can go to the game at ewood. I can not understansd why some supporters say that they won't watch Rovers at Ewood Park whilst Sam is the manager - yet still watch the game on TV, live or motd etc - it seems hypercritical in my view.

Oh well each to their own I suppose!!!!!!!!!

For once in a very very long time, I really cannot find any enthusiasm for the forthcoming event ON the pitch at my beloved Ewood and my beloved Rovers.

Defeat at Stoke left me gutted after such a pitiful effort at Anfield the week before.

The only real thing for me to look forward to is the free beer, corporate meal, more free beer and then a few for the road around Blackburn. Throw in a dodgy kebab from Darwen Street for the late night gut wrenching sickness and thats what I have to look forward too !

Forget any notion of Carlos linking in behind the front man. He isnt good enough, isnt strong enough and he certainly doesnt have the nous to unlock what will be a tall and experienced back 4.

I wholeheartedly agree with the midfield choices. We HAVE to start with two of Grella/Dunny and Tugay. Whilst they may not be 100% this trio gives us the best chance of creating a goalscoring chance for McCarthy.

For me, midfield must be Diouf Grella Tugay/Dunny and Warnock.

I would even put MGP up alongside McCarthy to give him someone to play off. Pederson is good in the air and may create a bit of a problem up front, he can also unleash terriffic power if he decides to wear his shooting boots.

We MUST win at all costs.

A DRAW is not good enough unless Hull and Boro lose and barcode united draw (or take another defeat).

A LOSS is going to be catastrophic.

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Samba Givet

Diouf Grella Dunn/Tugay Warnock

McCarthy MGP

Subs from Roberts (if 75% fit), Andrews, Dunny or Tugay, Ollsen, Carlos, Zurab, Doran, Blackman or Cruz jnr and Bunn.

It's such a big game for us on Sunday. I don't know why the manager is on about us getting 5 draws on the run in. We need to win 2 games, starting on Sunday, so need to be positive from the start. I would like to see the goalie playing in goal and not taking free kicks all over the pitch, defenders playing at the back, midfield players in the middle and forwards up front. I know that probably hasn't happened for any game this season but here's hoing that sense might prevail before it's too late.

Waggy you wum, can you just not support the lads till the summer and then start bashing them once we know are fate, 99% of fans want to concentrate and help drive the team up, we don't need to read your negative childish stupid posts.

Mods can you please considier giving this jeb a ban?

Hear hear

Still feeling down from Saturdays trip to Stoke and still got a sore throat from shouting and singing but will give it everything I've got again on Sunday to get behind the team.

The fact that we're so rubbish at the moment means they need us more than ever so, if you really are a Rovers supporter, you'll give them full backing at the weekend.

The game will be won or lost at about 3.30 when we find out whether 'Big' Sam has learnt anything from his feeble tactics in the last 2 games and amended his starting line-up accordingly. If the names 'Andrews' and 'Mokoena' are mentioned as anything other than desperation subs then I'll be feeling sick. And in a game where we are so desperate for 3 home points and therefore must score, a lone striker option will be suicidal.

IMO the starting line-up should be:

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Givet Warnock

Diouf Tugay Dunn MGP

McCarthy Samba

With Grella & Mokoena on the bench to replace Tugay & Dunn at some point in the second half.

Andrews nowhere near, and Villanueva as another sub.

From today's LT:

Roberts rated "touch and go" for Sunday.

Supporters will be relieved to hear the squad have been rewarded for their last two performances with a four day, five star break in Gleneagles.

RSC "weeks" away from a playing return.

Derbyshire and Gallagher can't be "recalled" even though their respective seasons finish early. :unsure::huh:

Sam still stressing the remaining fixtures are "no lose" games.

The last one is very risky way of looking at it imo. We're unlikely to remain unbeaten at Chelsea so being content not to lose in the others gives us a maximum capability of 39 points.

Edit: 38 even.

Archived