BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Two Tier Premier League

It is not bizarre in the context of UEFA/FIFA desire to tie 16 and unders within a tiny distance of their home clubs. In that context the regulation makes "sense".

Personally, I am not convinced of the need to have any rules for having local players.

What difference is this going to make? A player is "home grown" if he's trained at a club for three seasons!

...between the ages of 16-21. It makes a huge difference when you add that extra bit! My only argument would be that it could possibly be 16-19, but it's hard to argue it's not a step in the right direction.

Brian Mawhinney of the Football league has put forward his own proposals for the future including scrapping transfer windows and joint TV deals for the Premier League and Football League..

The TV idea is not so daft. Setanta have ended up with a bill for £134m for one sixth of the PL televised games which they cannot make any economic sense of. If the League were offered as package seven and had to be bought with at least one PL package, the League would probably get a boost above the £88m they get at present and would have their games marketed globally thus reducing the disparity with the PL.

The English second division is the the 4th most watched football league in the world yet its TV profile is below that of many less watched leagues. It also contains clubs with considerable global recognition because of having recently been in the PL. Much more so than say clubs in the bottom half of the French League.

Brian Mawhinney of the Football league has put forward his own proposals for the future including scrapping transfer windows and joint TV deals for the Premier League and Football League..

The TV idea is not so daft. Setanta have ended up with a bill for £134m for one sixth of the PL televised games which they cannot make any economic sense of. If the League were offered as package seven and had to be bought with at least one PL package, the League would probably get a boost above the £88m they get at present and would have their games marketed globally thus reducing the disparity with the PL.

The English second division is the the 4th most watched football league in the world yet its TV profile is below that of many less watched leagues. It also contains clubs with considerable global recognition because of having recently been in the PL. Much more so than say clubs in the bottom half of the French League.

Scrapping the transfer window is a particularly good move. I wonder if anyone's ever challenged it under European employment law.

Scrapping the transfer window is a particularly good move. I wonder if anyone's ever challenged it under European employment law.

I used to argue on here that the window was pointless and regularly got shot down :lol: . The argument in favour of the window was that it stopped clubs overspending. Didn't quite work, did it!

I used to argue on here that the window was pointless and regularly got shot down :lol: . The argument in favour of the window was that it stopped clubs overspending. Didn't quite work, did it!

I agree,if anything it would bump up the price of players during the transfer window especially the last minute deals.

I agree,if anything it would bump up the price of players during the transfer window especially the last minute deals.

Yup. Also the bigger clubs buy up extra benchwarmers to cover injuries, further inflating player prices. Meanwhile smaller clubs go into administration because they can't sell players to get out of financial trouble.

Although well intentioned I'd say it's been an unmitigated disaster.

Nothing wrong with the window ; if clubs want to overspend or be frugal they will do regardless of when they can spend their money .

One benefit of the window is that it prevents richer clubs from undermining poorer clubs at the very latter end of the season when they are at the wrong end of the table . Newcastle for example .....

As for the clubs at the top end it is largely irrelevant to us whether there is a window or not .

Perhaps a deadline day of, say Janurary 31st should be in place, so from Februrary 1st to July 1st, no players can move club. So it is more of a non-transfer window, rather than a transfer window. Some sort of reform needs to be introduced to the transfer window and TV deal negotiations is needed.

Archived