BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Magic Number

• Backroom

I think a win tomorrow puts us within touchng distance and then any points at all before the last day would see us realistically safe.

Providing all the other teams don't totally change their game.

Guest Vinjay606

After what Fulham did last season it's never safe to assume teams can't go on a shock run of victories.

There's no reason to write off the Manchester City game as a defeat as if they are Chelsea's equals. There's nothing special about them at present. It's not long since BRFC won away at Fulham who if I recall correctly are higher in the league than Man City at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

35 points is a low tally really. I always feel about a point a game (38) should be enough to stay up. There are exceptions, but usually 38 points is enough to stay up.

In recent years this is what would have happened to a side who got 35 points:

2001-02 - Relegated

2002-03 - Relegated

2003-04 - Survived

2004-05 - Survived

2005-06 - Survived

2006-07 - Relegated

2007-08 - Relegated

Interesting that for all the trouble we have been in, to end 7 points i think above the drop is extremely good. Im certain that if we had Sam from the get go, we would have been somwhere around 8th or 9th.

Interesting that for all the trouble we have been in, to end 7 points i think above the drop is extremely good. Im certain that if we had Sam from the get go, we would have been somwhere around 8th or 9th.

I completely agree. Sam picked up 28 points in 21 games (7 wins, 7 draws) which combined with just 13 points under Paul Ince in 17 games. City came 9th with 50 points, meaning we finished 9 points behind them, but I'm sure if Big Sam had been at Rovers at the start of the season, he would have been able to bring in his kind of players and gather a lot more points than what we got.

Archived