BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City V Rovers

Allardyce hit-it-long heroes bounce on their way to Eastlands where they find Man City and Mark Hughes waiting to stick the knife in the bubble. The Taffy Che Guevara, as no-one calls him, Mark Hughes has struggled to turn Lawrence of Arabia under the watchful eye of oil-rich men from the Middle East. If I was them, I wouldn't bother with a football club and invest the money prudently, especially in the current climate but then, I guess, that they have a few pennies.

Man City has become a bit like Tintin comic books these days. When you think you've solved the mystery of the racket involving a Swedish numpty masquerading as a respectable public figure, backed by a ex-dictator from Thailand (turns out that the Swede was actually a mannequin cleverly disguised as a person - England was rescued but Mexico lost) a bunch of shady Arabs turn up with billions to inflict new meddle on this green and pleasant land. What is more, they bring with them a little Brazilian lad who looks vaguely like a black Robbie Williams. They really must have something serious up their sleeves.

Thus discomforted, I return to football matters. Rovers' win over Wigan means that they are nearly safe. Man City are mid-table which means that they are safe from the Europa cup. There was much gnashing of finger nails over the last month as City threatened to haplessly throw away their season by qualifying for the competition but a few crap results meant that this was avoided.

It has come as something of a surprise to me that Hughes has been so lethargically Sven-like in his management at City (although he hasn't committed a Bianchi). I can only put it down to Hughes not commanding the same level of respect amongst the City players as he did at Rovers. At Rovers, the leaders were real Hughes men, they were like his offspring. Nelsen, Ooijer, Bellamy etc. they were signed by Hughes and loved him. Not so sure that applies to the the City big gobs.

I also think that Hughes' inability to sign good central midfielders may have played a part. He failed badly at Rovers (which is partly why we are in this mess) and, as far as I know, hasn't signed a good central midfield at City. Erm, wait, that De Jong, is he playing well...He was certainly overpriced. It still bugs me that Hughes hasn't had the guts to sign Mokoena from us. That's the least he could do.

City have actually picked up. They played well in the second leg against Hamburg and in their last outing they beat Everton, the team with the best manager in the world. It seems that Robinho is in-form and Elano back in favour - two reasons for Rovers to be slightly worried. Stephen Ireland is surely going to be one of the best midfielders in the Prem if he continues his progress. And in Felipe Caicedo (or whatever his name is) Man City have a striker who doesn't score which follows in a fine tradition, if you think back to Jo and Vassell at city. He was a Sven signing, needless to say.

They will obviously try to out-play Rovers with snobbish passes along the ground, in that ridiculously old-fashioned manner that some teams have. I really can't believe that people are so stuck in the past. I bet they've never even heard about Gamst's world record stamina feat set in his Tromso days and eulogised about by one of his stalkers on this MB for months on end. These stone-agers don't even appreciate the efficiency of the long throw or the hit-and-hope. It makes you wonder how they survive at all. After all, these things are sports science recommended. Ordered by the doctors, what more could you want?

Rovers can play old-school when they want - just to mock the on-the-ground footy fools. After all, we've got Diouf who was African Player of the Year once, clearly proving that he is an outstandingly gifted player who has just fallen on hard times. He'll be discovering an alternative theory of relativity any day, just you wait. There's David Dunn as well who is well skilful but sadly his skill is best known by the moment that he tripped himself over trying to play a square pass with a deceiving use of the wrong foot. Gamst can entertain on his day but is such a modest guy that he'd rather not. I could go on but there wouldn't be any point.

Besides, the modern game is about efficiency, especially, if you can't afford footballers. Look at Everton and Villa - okay, you'd rather not because you've got to go out later and can't afford to be drowsy but you get my point. Direct football is not skill-less - it takes skill to play an accurate long ball, to control accurate long ball, to create chance from accurate long ball, to score the goal from... Or you could just not bother with the accurate long ball and just hit the ball long and see what happens, as they do in rugby. When it works, you pretend that it was intended and the illusion of skill is created. So much more efficient.

In the end, Rovers' Premier League survival depends on these games and as football is an unfamiliar concept to many amongst our current bunch (it makes you wonder what Rigters has done not to be involved) it's safest to play the game involving the least skill possible. It seems to be working too, after Paul Ince's near successful attempts to make the Rovers' fans forget the name Brian Kidd.

Yet, I worry. I worry that football ain't what it's cracked up to be. Call it a life crisis but I've got football fatigue and haven't been following footy that closely recently (which goes a long way to explaining the standard of this preview!).

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A win here on Saturday would guarentee our place in the PL for next season. Robinho has been scoring lately and is in form again, Stephen Ireland is having a top season. So stop them 2 and you stop City. Both teams on a roll after great victories at the weekend.

Hopefully we win and can start looking at climbing the table and getting as much money as we can through our league position. 11th/12th is reachable.

Some interesting points in the preview Rover6. Having not lost away at City since 1999 (1st Division when City went up) I think we should avoid defeat. With the other away game left being at Chelsea I think we should make a party day of it-how about inflatable bananas, or something original like that? Of maybe just actual bananas, which could also serve as a nutritious snack at half time.

Alternatively we could all go wearing surgical face masks for comedy fancy dress? Which could also serve as a life saving barrier to the Swine Flu as it sweeps down from Scotland for the weekend? That could make eating the tasty banana a bit tricky though. Need to have a think about this one.

Can anyone ever remember us taking a decent away following to Maine Rd?

Got talking about this on Sunday and nobody could remember a decent following to the old ground, apart from the 1960 semi final that is. Yes we had 2-3k from time to time, but the away end at City held two or three times that if I recall.

Got talking about this on Sunday and nobody could remember a decent following to the old ground, apart from the 1960 semi final that is. Yes we had 2-3k from time to time, but the away end at City held two or three times that if I recall.

The last game at Maine Road we took about 800! Loads of empty seats. The old away bit was the last third of the Kippax, and was pretty big.

I dont subscribe to the stop Ireland/Robinho and you stop city scenario. They have players who can really hurt you but at the same time they also have players who at times lack heart and soul, a little like some of our own squad !

It is all down to whcih City turn up on the day and just how many times have we said that before we play them ? If anything was as repetetive in football there would be nothing more to say about Man City.

City are the original yoyo club

City fans think they are the biggest club in the world.

City fans think they are the best in the world.

City fans think they are just going to win the league due to their arabic backers and take every star without question due to the enormous amounts of cash allegedly available.

City fans are positive mark Hughes and co wont be spending that money next season.

City have shown that money doesnt excite every footballer, they have spoent just short of £100m on top players such as Bellamy/Wright-Phillips and Bridge, not to mention Jo, Caceido and the like. So as you can see Rovers will be playing a world class City 11 when they take to the pitch at The Council Owned Manchester Stadium. yes, you got it, the ruchest club in the world by far DONT even own their own ground !! Thus epitomising just what a Mickey Mouse outfit Manchester City really are.

Our ex ex manager, Mark Hughes, aka God to some of our fans, puts his reputation on the line against the club that gave him the chance in club management. Its Big Sam versus Mark Hughes.

It wont be pretty and I expect Rovers to be up against it. Everyone expects Rovers to lose and City to talk away with the 3 points.

I think otherwise.

A draw 1-1

Guest Vinjay606
We'll get a win here an secure our Prem status at Sparky's expense in his backyard. It's meant to be.

I predicted a win for this prior to the Wigan game. Would be excellent to stick the final nail in Leslie's Man City coffin.

After this no reason why Portsmouth and WBA can't be wins. I intend to go to Stamford Bridge and that will be more in hope than really expecting to get anything.

The last game at Maine Road we took about 800! Loads of empty seats. The old away bit was the last third of the Kippax, and was pretty big.

Yes I once went in the away end for the Oldham vs. Man Utd cup game and that was packed and mental. But I can never remember us getting anywhere near filling the away end.

Yes I once went in the away end for the Oldham vs. Man Utd cup game and that was packed and mental. But I can never remember us getting anywhere near filling the away end.

Wasn't that a cup semi final game though? Can't really compare if so as theres bound to be more fans in there.

Always remember us taking decent followings there in the early-mid 90's, first when the away end was down the side and later on when they moved it to behind one of the goals.

Watching City against West Brom, they looked shaky and the 4-2 score line definitely didn't flatter Man City. There are points to be had depending on which City turn up.

If it's the City that turned up at Ewood then we're going to need another P. Robinson wonder finish :mellow:

There was one game from around the mid to late 80's where our 'third' or whatever of the Kippax was packed. There were rumours before the game that we were going to take the Kippax but it never happened :rolleyes: . I was right up to the fence that separated the two sets of fans and the daft thing was it was very low, so much so that you could have got over it quite easily. As well as the last third under cover, our area stretched out in the open, around the corner to the seated area behind the goals and that was also packed. We parked up half a mile or so from the ground not knowing where we were and the pub was full of Rovers fans. Incidentally, during the game a lad in front of me was hit by a coin in the chest and he went down like he had been shot. Just shows how much it must have hurt that ref at Cardiff the other day. A great atmosphere that day, reminiscent of Turf Moor with both sets of fans side by side.

I can't see us risking either Santa or Roberts in this one. If there's any chance of them playing I'd say wait a week. They need to be rested for the Portsmouth game. If it's possible I'd play the team that started against Wigan. Can anybody tell me - Have we played the same team two games running this season ?

There was one game from around the mid to late 80's where our 'third' or whatever of the Kippax was packed. There were rumours before the game that we were going to take the Kippax but it never happened :rolleyes: . I was right up to the fence that separated the two sets of fans and the daft thing was it was very low, so much so that you could have got over it quite easily

Remember this well! Getting out after the match through a tiny door way with 3, 000 people pushing you was not fun, and I thought about this scenario over the Hillsborough anniversary week.

Only Man.Utd have won more times at home than City this season.

Robinho gave an obligatory performance last week, so he's due a day off. That would certainly go some way to us getting something there.

Good preview Rovers6, thank you.

I've got good memories of games against City. It was one back in the early 80s at Maine Road when I got my Rovers' mojo back when I was living a stone's throw away from the ground. A work colleague, and ex QEGS bloke was living next door to Maine Road and got me to go. Like WC Fields who mentioned the woman who drove him to drink, I've never thanked him.

Hillsborough tragedy we hammered them at Ewood and Garner became our top ever scorer, understandably overlooked.

A couple of years ago I took my dad & daughter to Eastlands. A nice three generation attendance. I think it was the swearing that put the two of them off. And Oojer snapping his leg far too close to us.

City have just beaten Everton at Goodison 2-1 , but before that they lost at home to Fulham 3-1.

So, anyone who thinks they can predict this one with any degree of certainty ought to buy a lottery ticket.

Let's hope Sunday's catharsis didn't take too much out of the lads mentally and emotionally. I think it might have done. City will win against a flat Rovers after Hughes does his homework on how to handle the aerial threat amid fans' grumbling that we've been 'found out' offensively.

Any chance of Roberts being fit to partner Benni for the final two home matches?

Archived