BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 'taking Back' The Darwen End

Where's the point taking back the Darwen end when we give it back for manchester United or Liverpool..Surely the ticketing policy should apply when they come too...It would be amazing to keep them down to 3-4,000 and fill the bottom tier with Rovers fans..

Giving the Mancs and Scousers the top tier only would probably cost us , I reckon , up to £100 k - if a similar 3 ticket block scheme were offered . Maybe less if we pushed the price up to compensate for the attractive opposition on one of the games .

The problem again might be the reaction of the season ticket holders - apart from the obvious cost/benefit decision of whether the price is too much to pay .

Like everyone else I was very impressed by the sight of Rovers fans in the DE. The top tier of the DE must be the place to stick away fans at all times in future .

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers have long been the leaders in ticketing initiatives. I was wondering lately if Rovers would become the first club to do what Brian Clough said would happen, after television coverage became the driving force of football finances - give tickets away for free. If any club could cover the loss of crowd revenues via other sponsored means, it would be rovers. Get some large conglomerate to sponsor the ground at the cost of the lost ticket sales, while at the same time filling the ground to the rafters.

Just an idea towards the possible future. :D Somebody, somewhere would make that work.

Be careful abbey..... you might get one of those things on your vocal chords at the back of your throat like Elton John gets from time to time! :unsure:

does Elton like Hot Dogs ? They really can burn the back of the mouth, especially if you have a mouthfull of English rather than a bit of French or a dollop of American.

I really like the idea of putting away fans in the Jack Walker Lower and charging them top dollar but I can see the difficulties. I hate the fact we have to pay a fortune for away games but away fans get a bargain at Ewood.

I really like the idea of putting away fans in the Jack Walker Lower and charging them top dollar but I can see the difficulties. I hate the fact we have to pay a fortune for away games but away fans get a bargain at Ewood.

Away fans have been a huge and important source of income for the Rovers these last few seasons - disproportionately important compared to revenue from the home areas.

As for our away games - well one can pick and choose. Man City at £22.50 is a welcome bargain, as was Stoke at £25 ... if people want to pay ~ double those numbers (£47) to go to Stamford Bridge then that's their choice.

Away fans have been a huge and important source of income for the Rovers these last few seasons - disproportionately important compared to revenue from the home areas.

As for our away games - well one can pick and choose. Man City at £22.50 is a welcome bargain, as was Stoke at £25 ... if people want to pay ~ double those numbers (£47) to go to Stamford Bridge then that's their choice.

Well Chelsea is a case in point. Their fans get a bargain at Ewood but Rovers fans are charged double at Stamford Bridge. I'd like to see this fixed at a League level, a uniform maximum ticket price for all away fans.

During my first season watching Rovers (66-67) I can remember small away followings, on the odd occasion, being put in the Nuttall Street enclosure.

During my first season watching Rovers (66-67) I can remember small away followings, on the odd occasion, being put in the Nuttall Street enclosure.

I'm sure for a few seasons, it was the away enclosure. Away fans being given the Darren End and Enclosure.

Hope somebody else can clarify this, my memory seems to be playing tricks on me lately :wacko:

Well Chelsea is a case in point. Their fans get a bargain at Ewood but Rovers fans are charged double at Stamford Bridge. I'd like to see this fixed at a League level, a uniform maximum ticket price for all away fans.

You do have a point but £47 is not double £35, which is what they would have paid at Ewood.

I'm sure for a few seasons, it was the away enclosure. Away fans being given the Darren End and Enclosure.

Hope somebody else can clarify this, my memory seems to be playing tricks on me lately :wacko:

They did that during the rebuilding of the Darwen end Aggy. As for the sixties, the rovers fans used the Darwen end for a while. Then changed ends at KO if we kicked the other way.

At the back-end of the 88-89 season Rovers opened up the Darwen End for home fans as an experiment .... I seem to remember trying it out for a couple of games ... Bournmouth and Man City spring to mind. In both cases the away fans were put in the Nuttall St Darwen End enclosure.

It would mean away fans having to traverse either 'home' end to get in to the ground. The police would never agree due to the segregation issues.

It happens at plenty of grounds already.

I would be in favour of something like that, or just keeping them locked away at the top of the Darwen End, further away from the pitch and less noisy. It may only be a small gain the players get but worth it imo. Then give the big away supports the whole of the Darwen End for financial gain.

What about putting them in top tier bburn end and top tier darwen end, giving us the more visible areas for our fans?

We should always leave BBE/DE uppers EMPTY until the rest of the ground is full. This will reduce the "empty ewood" look that we always suffer from on the T.V.

The family enclosure(s) should then be JW stand upper tier BBE/DE - plenty of space/secure/away from away fans etc.

Have some kind of arrangement to keep the DE lower as it was last weekend - Home support only - mix season ticket/few match packages/walk on etc. Vocal supporters who can match the away support and continue to teach BBE lower how to sing.

Away support Riverside. No home fans here. TV cameras will show full stands when we play MU/L'pool etc but empty stand Fulham/Portsmouth etc will reflect on the away team and not us. Welcolme the long term Riversiders to decent facilities. Only need to open both ends upper tiers as needed for the "bigger" matches. We have the technology .........

That could surely be moved - not like we dont have space is it and the family bit is never full.

No but those of us who sit there like the view we have. I sit in the front row and have so far resisted moving even though my kids are now all grown up because I've tried the Jack walker upper and I don't like the view. I don't like the prospect of sitting in the lower tiers because I prefer to be above the pitch. I think there are probably many like me who won't really want to move their season ticket. Not saying i won't if needs be but given a choice, I'd rather not.

Rovers have long been the leaders in ticketing initiatives. I was wondering lately if Rovers would become the first club to do what Brian Clough said would happen, after television coverage became the driving force of football finances - give tickets away for free. If any club could cover the loss of crowd revenues via other sponsored means, it would be rovers. Get some large conglomerate to sponsor the ground at the cost of the lost ticket sales, while at the same time filling the ground to the rafters.

Just an idea towards the possible future. :D Somebody, somewhere would make that work.

It's heading that way den. Under 12's season tickets at Stanley are free.

I was among Rovers fans in the old Darwen End in the 80's for the odd game with visitors given the Darwen End Enclosure (capacity approx. 2000 standing).

We should always leave BBE/DE uppers EMPTY until the rest of the ground is full. This will reduce the "empty ewood" look that we always suffer from on the T.V.

The family enclosure(s) should then be JW stand upper tier BBE/DE - plenty of space/secure/away from away fans etc.

Have some kind of arrangement to keep the DE lower as it was last weekend - Home support only - mix season ticket/few match packages/walk on etc. Vocal supporters who can match the away support and continue to teach BBE lower how to sing.

Away support Riverside. No home fans here. TV cameras will show full stands when we play MU/L'pool etc but empty stand Fulham/Portsmouth etc will reflect on the away team and not us. Welcolme the long term Riversiders to decent facilities. Only need to open both ends upper tiers as needed for the "bigger" matches. We have the technology .........

What a lode of tosh, ok the family stand doesn’t sell out every week but they have good deals for school kids and young football clubs. So to put the family stand in the J.W upper you are asking them to pay full price for adults and children that would turn more away than encourage them. The group I am with have been S.T. holders in the family stand since it went there previously it was in the riverside we don’t want to give them up for away fans or move to the J.W. As someone pointed out away fans in the riverside is a recipe for trouble I cannot see the police agreeing to it

rant over

Right, we've had the discussion about the JWL and the unreserved section, now folks want to start moving others around. No doubt no-one who comes up with these suggestions actually sits in the areas they are so quick to put forward for change :angry:

It happens at plenty of grounds already.

For what ever reasons Lancs Constab' seem traditionally more stringent than most forces. If you remember the 80's, our 'capacity' was reached a coiple of times, but there were yawning gaps in some parts of the ground. Similarly compare the police 'miners' strike' response to the Burnley Championship derby under Souness with other local derbies.

I'm not against it. It just won't happen.

Archived