BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Campaign For Tugay Testimonial

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the club decide that a testimonial is the way to go then inviting Galatasaray would be a bad move. Such a game wouldn't get the interest going at all, and he needs a big name to pull in the punters.

Glasgow Rangers are the only option in my book, but absolutely no chance of that happening. Rangers would bring 10k at least and that would make it a real occasion, but it won't happen after 200 or so that rioted in Manchester, shame really.

It would be ideal if this could be set up and played in Turkey . It would give those amongst us who miss the European matches an excellent chance to have a proper away day .

Sort it out , Tugay ........ :rover:

And what about those of us who couldn't travel to turkey either because we can't just take time off work when we want to or because like my husband it would take us a week to get there because we'd have to travel overland ( he has a serious plane phobia - feels ill just going to an airport to pick someone up. He is, however, Tugay's biggest fan) If it happens it's at Ewood - hope your suggestion was a windup and not serious.

It's not about raising money for him. It's about celebrating the career of the most talented player to ever wear blue and white halves. We all deserve it.

I agree with that and I also think that Tugay should be allowed to choose the team for Rovers to play against. I would also like to see him as a coach at Rovers - especially with the youth system, he would be an inspiration to the younger players.

If the club decide that a testimonial is the way to go then inviting Galatasaray would be a bad move. Such a game wouldn't get the interest going at all, and he needs a big name to pull in the punters.

Glasgow Rangers are the only option in my book, but absolutely no chance of that happening. Rangers would bring 10k at least and that would make it a real occasion, but it won't happen after 200 or so that rioted in Manchester, shame really.

Galatasaray aren't a smaller club than Rangers..

What about a testimonial game such as Rovers vs Turkey? With Tugay playing half a game for either side. The Rovers squad should be a mix of current and ex players, as should the Turkey side. Turkey and Rovers have been the most exciting times he's had while playing (as stated by the legend himself).

Or perhaps Tugay could pick his 1st 11 of players he has played with whilst NOT at rovers? Or we just have rovers current vs rovers past?

There are so many ideas, but I cannae keep up with myself lol

Galatasaray are a big club with a big following and should they be selected as a team for a testimionial match then you would see just how many Turks there are in this area. A large number I think

I'm not suggesting Galatasaray are not a big club.

Rangers would without doubt fill the Darwen end, and I believe the home support would respond better to the Glasgow giants visiting rather than the Turkish giants.

Let us not forget also that English clubs and England followers have plenty of history with the Turks, so maybe the police would put a stop to that as well.

Anyway I think we all agree he should get a testimonial and I'd guess he'll have an all star team, not a specific club.

i think against an all-star 11 where he can pick the players would be best... this would draw crowd and allows us to see something spectacular.

he is an absolute legend and i rate him as one of the finest midfielders we've had ever.

Tugay for legendary status!

Tugay is the big name. Seriously I'd come up from Birmingham on a Wednesday night for a Tugay testimonial.

Tugay hasn't just spent 250k on trying to keep his fancy piece out of the papers, that left a sour taste in the mouth despite his 9 years at the club.

I couldn't care less. It happens the world over.

I must say Gav you are damned picky with who you would allow to play for BRFC. Am I correct to assume that footballing ability is nowhere near the top of your list of requirements? :rolleyes:

Oh btw And the Lord saith 'those who are without sin cast the first stone'.

I can't imagine why Rangers fans would want to or what could cause riot at a non-competitive game, especially a testamonial

It just seems to kick off every time either Celtic or Rangers play south of the border, be it friendly or competitive. The number of tickets allocated never seems to supply the demand, and this coupled with 2/3 days solid drinking beforehand :wacko: , its not ideal preparation for a peaceful evening of football.

It just seems to kick off every time either Celtic or Rangers play south of the border.....

Not with Celtic. There has been trouble with Celtic in the past but generally their fans are good natured and create a first class atmosphere at these friendly/testimonial games. That is one reason why they keep getting asked to play. Massive support and generally trouble free.

Archived