BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers V Portsmouth

The reason why Andrews played RB against Pompey.

Ooijer fined and dropped

Nicko strikes again.

Is that right, I thought the official line was he was injured?

No biggy either way, he's off (hopefully) at the end of the season and has saved us an extra week's wages.

Very thoughtful of him. Gets the "pot" for next year's jolly to Gleneagles off to a good start!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't think Samba got the ball or the keeper. James was simply too concerned about Samba's lunge and took his eye off the ball. That's James' problem.

I didn't think he got a touch on the ball, plus it appeared that the two collided after James had fumbled the ball, although the only replays that I've seen of the goal were on the big screen at the game.

The point I was making is that, with the amount of protection that keepers get from referees nowadays, Riley could have found enough reasons to disallow the goal had he wanted to, without it appearing suspicious. If you slide in towards the keeper with your studs showing, even if you don't make contact with him, it would be reason enough for most referees to give a free-kick ('for intent' is how the describe it, I believe). The fact that he allowed the goal to stand should be enough to dispell the notion that he was biased against us, in all but the most paranoid of our supporters at least.

I didn't think he got a touch on the ball, plus it appeared that the two collided after James had fumbled the ball, although the only replays that I've seen of the goal were on the big screen at the game.

The point I was making is that, with the amount of protection that keepers get from referees nowadays, Riley could have found enough reasons to disallow the goal had he wanted to, without it appearing suspicious. If you slide in towards the keeper with your studs showing, even if you don't make contact with him, it would be reason enough for most referees to give a free-kick ('for intent' is how the describe it, I believe). The fact that he allowed the goal to stand should be enough to dispell the notion that he was biased against us, in all but the most paranoid of our supporters at least.

It happened right in front of me and I saw Samba get the ball, later backed up by pictures on Match of the Day.. By the way, I agree with your point that there was no bias from Riley, just a few poor decisions.

The goal was a fair goal. No foul, and James sh!t out of a challenge with a 6ft 8" defender. :P He didnt even complain or ask for a foul so that says it all.

The two penalty decisions were very different but both hit the hand - its up to the ref to make the call on them, which he did. We scored, they didnt - whats the problem.

after Newcastle's win last night the three points we got here was massive, if we did not get the three points i think we could have been in big trouble now!!

well we did, so were not!

:rover:

The goal was a fair goal. No foul, and James sh!t out of a challenge with a 6ft 8" defender. :P He didnt even complain or ask for a foul so that says it all.

The two penalty decisions were very different but both hit the hand - its up to the ref to make the call on them, which he did. We scored, they didnt - whats the problem.

If David James is still the England No 1 keeper in next years World Cup finals, we have not got a cat in hell's chance of winning. He is a complete liability and likely to make a big gaff at any moment.

It amazes me how all the expert pundits and professionals still say he is a top keeper.

If Robbo had made half as many gaffs this season as James has done he would be hung drawn and quartered (especially by some on this board).

Exactly Stones... James isnt good enough to be the national keeper.

Id put Robbo, Green, Kirkland & Hart all ahead of him.

You mean Green that makes as as many gaffs as James does? :rock:

The problem we have is that there are not many consistent English keepers - even with the gaffs JAmes probably out performs the others.

Not sure I would feel confident with Robinson yet though - still not totally convinced (never have been) although he does appear to be getting confidence back.

Interesting extract from Martin Tyler's blog on Sky about the shooting prowess (or otherwise) of pedersen and our old mate Bentley:

HIGH, WIDE AND NOT SO HANDSOME

Hello Martin, while watching Match of the Day I am sure I heard someone say that was Morten Gamst Pedersen's first goal of the season - but his 61st shot. That got me wondering if that is the worst strike rate in the league this year. Also, now Pedersen is off the mark, who has had the most shots without scoring this season, please? Tony Hailley

MARTIN SAYS: Well Tony, I think you might have mis-heard, because according to the boffins at Opta who are best-placed to answer these questions, that was Pedersen's first Premier League goal in 37 attempts on goal. That is not quite the worse goals-to-shots ratio this season though. Tottenham's David Bentley has just one Premier League goal to his name - and what a goal it was as Arsenal fans will testify - in no fewer than 40 attempts. The same as West Brom's Robert Koren and one more than Michael Ballack at Chelsea, whose one Premier League goal has come from 39 efforts on goal. As for the most shots without finding the back of the net, one man stands head and shoulders above the rest of the Premier League - take a bow Stewart Downing. The Middlesbrough skipper has had no fewer than 60 attempts on goal but has failed to score from even one of them. The next worst is Newcastle midfielder Kevin Nolan, who in his time with Bolton and the Toon this season has had 38 attempts on goal without finding the net.

MOST SHOTS PER GOAL

Player

Team

Goals

Attempts

Bentley

Tottenham

Koren

West Bromwich

Ballack

Chelsea

Pedersen