BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers V Portsmouth

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good news. He might not be a good finisher (understatement of the year?), but at least Samba can return to centre back now, and Big Jase offers us a lot of graft and strength up front. I think that McCarthy and Roberts have a good understanding, and we're infinitely more threatening when we have two natural strikers up front.

Fully expecting an end of season, time for holidays performance from our lot, as they slip into the false belief we are safe and so it doesn't matter what the result is. We will lose, other results will go against us - the current run of luck for Rovers can't continue - and it will be back to needing to beat WBA to be sure of staying up. I reckon we'll be 17th next weekend and praying for Boro and Newcastle to draw, which should just about condemn both clubs to the drop.

I'm looking forward to August - I think :wacko:

This is a match more interesting to the accountants than the players. Both clubs are desperate to maximise PL prize money for different reasons (at least we are not in danger of having the administrators appointed).

We have lost at home to Pompey quite frequently in the past so should take nothing for granted. That said, if Sam gets a Wigan or West Ham performance out of whoever is neither dead nor wounded, we should get a win and quite an entertaining one at that as Pompey tend to play passing open stuff.

Robo v James is an interesting contrast as well.

Here's hoping for a 24,000+ crowd and a reet good day out.

Excellent news, Roberts and McCarthy it must be, simple 4-4-2, everyone in their correct position, no square pegs, round holes, make shift doodaas or temporary wotsits. Just simple straight forward tactics, formation and line up, and let our boys earn the win to ensure our safety. No ###### about.

It was Souness who transformed Jansen into an unselfish team player showing that in some circumstances his man management skills weren't bad at all.

Obsessed with Brian Kidd? I'm obsessed with revenge (it was the same for the Man City game with Eriksson in Sept 07) and it's a shame Portsmouth aren't a bit lower in the table. Could have really made things difficult for Kidd then. When Kidd was here I never gave him the criticism he deserved (because back in the 98-2000 period I defended everything the club did for some reason. That's something that's changed) so I'll make up for lost time.

Losing to Kidd would be shameful especially on what I believe is his first return visit. Maybe if he had a top manager alongside him (which Ferguson is I'll admit though I don't like him) which Hart isn't. He got sacked in a couple of jobs with championship sides.

Would be quite ironic to put any final doubts of safety to rest at the expense of Kidd.

Life really is too short for revenge!

I'd much rather three points to ensure our Premier League survival and to remember that Kidd was only human and just not up to the massive task of managing a football club with huge funds at his disposal.

With Roberts and McCarthy supposedly both fit, I can see us getting at least a point from this game. I'd probably settle for that as well!

Guest Vinjay606

If BRFC show up with a "time for holidays" performance there's every chance Portsmouth (I don't understand why supporters of other clubs refer to them as "Pompey" it sounds too affectionate) will as well. Which would probably make it a very boring game or one with multiple errors.

If BRFC show up with a "time for holidays" performance there's every chance Portsmouth (I don't understand why supporters of other clubs refer to them as "Pompey" it sounds too affectionate) will as well. Which would probably make it a very boring game or one with multiple errors.

They are (and always have been in my lifetime) known by their own supporters as Pompey. No idea where it arises from; you could ask a Pompey fan on Saturday on your way into the ground. but then again chance are high they would not know either.

This is a match more interesting to the accountants than the players.

Couldn't disagree more. Still a "must win" game imo.

If either Boro or the barcodes beat each other and we slip up then we certainly don't want to be going into a 90 minute lottery against the Baggies needing something.

Bottom line is, we need to at least match what Boro/Newcastle do this weekend. If they draw, a draw would be ok for us. If one of them wins, we need to win as well.

I live just outside of Portsmouth and don't know why they are called 'Pompey' either. A quick serarch has found this-

Legend has it that a snoozing, drunken sailor interrupted a lecture on the Roman Empire given by naval temperance worker, Dame Agnes Weston founder of the Royal Sailors Rests, 'aggie weston's'.

Upon hearing that an emperor of that name had died, the sailor shouted out 'Poor old Pompey', the name then stuck and moved into common usage.

<LI>More reliable evidence records a group of Portsmouth-based sailors, who scaled Pompey's Pillar near Alexandria, Egypt, in 1781 and became known as the 'Pompey Boys'.

<LI>Portsmouth has been a port since Roman times, with nearby Portchester as a Roman military base.

When the port started to be developed locals nicknamed it Pompey, because Pompeii was well known for its Roman ruins.

<LI>The pomp and ceremony connected with the Royal Navy at Portsmouth led to the adoption of the nickname, Pompey.

<LI>Bombay was part of the wedding gift of Catherine of Braganza to Charles II.

Portuguese seaman saw a resemblance between the two ports and may have called Portsmouth 'Bom Bhia' which became Anglicised to Pompey.

<LI>A drunkards slurred pronunciation of Portsmouth Point (where there are many taverns popular with sailors)

<LI>Ships entering Portsmouth harbour make an entry in the ships log Pom. P. as a reference to Portsmouth Point (this being too long).

Navigational charts also use this abbreviation.

<LI>La Pompee was a captured French ship moored in Portsmouth harbour and used for accommodation, (captured 1793 and broken up 1817). There is a Yorkshire term pompey for prison or house of correction.

<LI>Volunteer firemen in the eighteenth century (known as pompiers) exercised on Southsea Common.

So in short it's probably derived from either the navy or ports.

Neither team have good strikers and probably won't score so I'll go for 0-0.

We have lost at home to Pompey quite frequently in the past so should take nothing for granted.

What utter nonsense

Last 4 seasons scorelines for the home games

1-0

2-1

3-0

0-1

IMO that makes 3 wins for Rovers and 1 loss.

Excellent news, Roberts and McCarthy it must be, simple 4-4-2, everyone in their correct position, no square pegs, round holes, make shift doodaas or temporary wotsits. Just simple straight forward tactics, formation and line up, and let our boys earn the win to ensure our safety. No ###### about.

Agree entirely. Also, apart from Robinson, if anyone kicks the ball higher than 12' in open play, they get fined a season's wages and have their ###### removed.

We will lose, other results will go against us - the current run of luck for Rovers can't continue - and it will be back to needing to beat WBA to be sure of staying up. I reckon we'll be 17th next weekend and praying for Boro and Newcastle to draw, which should just about condemn both clubs to the drop.

What's definite is that what has happened this weekend (all 8 teams at the bottom losing) can't happen next weekend. All 10 teams in the bottom half of the league are playing another team in the bottom half so there are going to be quite a few teams picking up points, so I think we do need at least a point, preferably all three.

We have lost at home to Pompey quite frequently in the past so should take nothing for granted. That said, if Sam gets a Wigan or West Ham performance out of whoever is neither dead nor wounded, we should get a win and quite an entertaining one at that as Pompey tend to play passing open stuff.

Have you seen pompy play recently? They will be trying to swamp our midfield with crouch on his own up top. With Nugent slipping probably into a five man midfield either on the left or right. Wouldn't be surprised if Glen Johnson plays on the other wing knowing the distinct lack of pace we provide when attacking. I would suggest this is going to be a nil nil. Samba will be null and void upfront and hopefully roberts will be back so we can stick him up top and really have a go.

Yeah, I think Samba will be a wasted idea up front. Campbell and Distin would love to mark him.

How aboooout:

Robinson

Ooijer - Nelsen - Samba - Givet

Diouf - Grella - Pedersen

Carlos

McCarthy - Roberts

Samba has to play in defence.

Its Crouch v King Kong.

Hope JR is fit but he cannot last 90 mins after 4 weeks out.

4-4-2 to begin with, get the goals then revert to 5-5-1.

I'm not sure if the ref will let us play with 12. Unless you're suggesting Robbo becomes a sweeper. And judging by how high up he plays, it's not an impossibility. ;)

Start with 4-4-2, Roberts and McCarthy up top, Grella and Warnock in midfield. If we are stuggling, we have Villanueva and Andrews to come on and give us some energy/skill (I don't have to point out who has the skill and who has the energy, do I? :lol:).

:rover: we are safe,none of the bottom 3 will get 37 pts,time to put our feet up :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Is that optimism from Waggy?? :blink:

Most people will agree with the fact that Crouch is better with the ball at his feet than heading. So playing Samba at the back may not be neccessary. Nelsen or Givet could deal with that.

If we do lose this, Hull win at Stoke, and Newcastle win aswell, we will only be 3 points away from safety, with Chelsea our next game.

This definately falls into the catergory of "MUST NOT LOSE"!!

Guest Vinjay606
:rover: we are safe,none of the bottom 3 will get 37 pts,time to put our feet up :unsure::brfcsmilie:

This isn't the example supporters should be setting. I think safety is more or less assured too but I'm aiming for 2 wins out of the next 3. I would be unhappy with anything less than that.

Archived