BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ashes 2009

Guest Kamy100

whos the commentators on the game ?????

As long as Lawro hasn't diversified into other sports I'll be happy!

In this article it suggest the following Tony Greig, Ian Bishop, Shane Warne, Ian Botham and Jonathan Agnew so a decent variation, good to see Beefy and Warne in there.

I'm sure I read somewhere that depending on the profile you choose you'll get different theme music and backgrounds etc, quite possibly the same for commentary although I hope you can mix up the English and Australian commentators, some banter during games would be outstanding as long as it's not the same repetitive recyled comments, such as 'He turned that one more than you Warney', every single ball lol.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100
Excellent, I can't wait, what console do you have Kamy?

I'm a little worried about online play, all it takes is for someone to work out an unplayable delivery or a ball that regularly takes wickets and online games become pointless. What are the chance of something like that happening do you think kamy, would you say the game is too advanced for a simple 'Unplayable Delivery' bug?

Do you know much about online games by the way, what are the match options? Twenty/20 games mainly I suspect? Test matches would be great to play against another human instead of AI but you'd never finish one unless you had a very trustworthy person on the other end. I'd imagine there would be plenty of people who would be like, 'Hmm I've lost the toss and am fielding first, umm quit!'.

Does Big Kev do his switch hitting? That would be pretty sweet.

Why couldn't they have been sensible and bring this game out coinciding with the first test, then I'd be bloody playing it by now, I haven't played a cricket game for 3 years and the last couple were crap.

Oh and yes some of the old Brian Lara games were great, the second one on the mega drive which included county teams was great, Except that definitely had a few glitches like giving people '1' for bowling accuracy made fast bowlers lob donkey droppers which landed on top of the bails and were very hard to play, swing bowlers who could start it out of the screen then swing in with an unplayable delivery and spin bowlers who could bowl around the wicket, pitch it a long way outside of off stump and turn it past leg stump haha. The game was great as long as you didn't play any of those people, bloody good fun though.

I have a 360 and PS3, i'll probably get this on the 360 as most of my cricket playing friend's have 360's.

To be honest pretty much every game online (fifa, fight night round 4, call of duty etc.) all get exploited, if people want to play that way. I played 3 hours during the playtest and probably another 3 hours or so on the demo and I haven't yet found a game breaking bug, I do know that Codies didn't release the game at the start of the Ashes because they have thoroughly tested it to iron out as many bugs as possible, they will also be supporting the game after release with patches should they be needed.

All game modes are supported online. Once you start a game if you quit then your opponent will be awarded the win. Codies term "starting a game" when you confirm your team, therefore if someone quits at the toss you'll get the win.

I'll ask them about the switch hit, there are a hell of a lot of shots in there so it could be possible that they have a the switch hit.

If you want great graphics and flashy cut scenes then this game is NOT for you, but if you are cricket fan, who is not bothered to much about graphics but wants a realistic cricket simulation (when played on the hardest difficulty) then this game is for you.

Guest Kamy100

I would say that garphics are huge improvement on BLIC 2007, but they are not on the level of FNR4 or FIFA.

I've played the PC demo and have to say the game is an impressive improvement over BLIC 2007,the gameplay is much harder and realistic.No more silly wickets,no more unrealistic scores, its very difficult to even hit a six truth be told....just the way it should be really.

Kamy, did you manage to take anyone's wicket as I've tried varying line and length, fast/slow ball,Yorker the damn lot and have only managed to run out the opposition and catch them out.That said,you really do feel you want to ball in this game as the challenge to get the perfect delivery is so demanding!

One criticism, I personally dont think the graphics are as smooth as Lara,there doesn't seem to be any anti-alaising in the game(or is this just the demo?) just the 'effects' option.

All said, its a tremendous improvement and without doubt THE best cricket game ever....mines on order.I really do hope Codemasters back this game up with improvement patches as they are onto a winner here.

I see you post on planetcricket Kamy! ;)

Guest Kamy100

Have to remember that the demo is from code that is over 2 months old.

I should have the final version tomorrow, but agree it is a huge improvement over BLIC 2007.

Taking wickets is hard but it is possible, I bowl line and length and vary the length, you have to work out batsman, ie Hughes I got him a few times by balling short at him after frustrating him with good line and length bowling, the AI in this game is superb and very realistic.

:D yup I love Planetcricket, it is a superb site!

Well I got chance to play the demo of this last night on the PC and I was happy with it enough to buy the full version tomorrow for the PS3 (Thanks for the demo Sony!!)

It was hard to take much from the demo as I had to use the keyboard, I was all out the first match before I figured out how to aim a shot in a different direction.

I found the timing pretty hard for batting, it could be using the keyboard that makes it harder but I found that to time it properley you almost had to play your shot as soon as he released the ball (Similiar to real cricket I guess), the only problem with that is that I feel a slower ball will probably get me every time!!

Bowling I found alright after a while, again not sure how much can be learnt from the demo as they did start smashing sixes of me in the first over!

I've put down every catch so far, are you meant to press it when the indicator goes green? It always seems to turn green a lot earlier than I expect and I end up dropping it, would be annoying if I don't get the hang of it as it would more or less make the game unplayable for me!! I'm sure it's just a combination of using the keyboard and being completley new to it. Haven't had any slip chances yet, bet they come pretty quickly.

Can't wait to give this a bash tomorrow, got the whole weekend off work, Ashes 09 on the playstation, Ashes on the skyplayer on the laptop, job done!!

Has anyone checked to see if the £19.99 on all chart games for today only in Tesco is true? I had a look at midnight last night but the staff didn't know anything about it. Just wondered if anyone has been in Tesco today before I get it from Asda.

No idea but I don't have an Adsa near me and couldn't be assed driving to Tesco, Software store and Game are both £40, I'm a mug, I couldn't wait any longer!

i bought it yesterday and having been starved of a good cricket game in a while i'm enjoying it.

I will eventually get around to changing the names of the other cricketers- but will save that for a rainy day.

(PS3)

thumbs up

Tested it for bugs and glitches? No chance!!

Played it for about 10 in total - found loads of bugs with the game.

Run-outs being given, despite the batter being back

Catches made but then only for the commentator to say 'he's dropped it' and then carry on.

Lots of shots where the batter has missed it, only for the ball to fly off for a 4.

Taking it back - its bugs like them that really annoy me..... :angry:

Tested it for bugs and glitches? No chance!!

Played it for about 10 in total - found loads of bugs with the game.

Run-outs being given, despite the batter being back

Catches made but then only for the commentator to say 'he's dropped it' and then carry on.

Lots of shots where the batter has missed it, only for the ball to fly off for a 4.

Taking it back - its bugs like them that really annoy me..... :angry:

Are you playing on PS3? I've not encountered those problems.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far, playing 20/20 tournament, beat Australia first round, Broad & Sidebottom top scored with the bat & shared three wickets a piece.

Batting against West Indies now (had to save game) 250ish for 6 so far. Luke Wright 87, Paul Collingwood 65. Four overs left. Flintoff & Swann in!

Love the game.

Guest Kamy100

I have found some bugs which are annoying but it is much better than the last Brian Lara game and am really enjoying it.

I'm enjoying the game but I am a little dissappointed.

The bugs on the PS3 don't seem that bad though, maybe the Xbox or PC version is a lot worse.

The fielding/throwing/catching still isn't great for me. As mentioned sometimes they throw it in when not even facing the wicket, also I notice a lot of the time players throw it in with their weaker hand, even from the boundary. Also they just don't throw the ball in early enough, sometimes they'll stand there for a good second or so while I'm busy running.

As for the catching, maybe it's just me but I'm dropping more than I catch, getting a bit better but I wish we perhaps didn't have to catch the ones which went to the wicket keeper, especially ones when he barely has to move!

The batting AI seems too aggressive, I played Australia on medium in a test match, now I might not have been bowling brilliantly but it was decent line and length, still they were going at over 7 an over on the first day of a test match in the first session, got hit for 6 in my first over!. I don't really think they should be hitting 6's so early on unless it's a really bad bouncer or full toss.

Online games seem pointless already unfortunately, the first game I had was a 20/20, made what I thought was a poor 60 odd then the other guy quit when he was 40/9, (Does not look like I've recieved any stats for the game so quit whenever you like!) he still had a chance of winning it! Second game I played the guy used Shoaib Akhtar to bowl inswinging yorkers every single ball (Really good fun), most of my batsmen even when I specified front foot seemed to try pulling it for some reason.

I scrambled to 40 or so by flicking a few through leg and then he smashed me for 30 odd over the first couple of overs when I tried to bowl 'fairly' and not a yorker every single ball. Brought on some spinner with a rating of 5 and realised they are almost unplayable because of how slow they bowl and if you do hit it you usually edge it. Ended up cleaning him up for about 5 more runs and enjoyed giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Overall though I'm enjoying the gameplay but this still seems a little bit more arcade to me, I know a full on simulation probably wouldn't appeal much to non cricket fans but perhaps something a bit more balanced would have been the difference between a good cricket game and a great cricket game.

The legend coaching mode seems to be rushed, haven't done it all yet (Do you get rewards, is there any point) but the first 4 or so batting challenges are something like, hit a four, defend 3 balls, hit 20 runs using a pull which are all ridicuously easy, then suddenly you have to score at 8 an over against the Sri Lankans spinners on a wearing pitch which although I'm sure might not be that hard it's a big step up from the other challenges.

The commentary has already become a bit repetitive, I'm well aware that if you pushed Shane Warne for an answer to the best pace bowler ever he'd say Curtley Ambrose, if he had too. Michael Holding has also made it quite clear to me about how much he enjoyed batting.

Not sure if it was a bug or an intended poor decision but I got a shocker of an LBW given where Hawkeye showed it clearly missing the stumps by a good 4 or 5 inches, absoloutley miles away.

Speaking of hawkeye, is there anyway to access it manually? I also seem to find that the stats charts and graphs etc are always greyed out, can't seem to see wagonwheel charts or anything. Is this a bug or do you need to wait until the end of the innings or something?

Ramble over

Archived