BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea Vs Blackburn Rovers Preview 4pm Sunday 17th May 2009

Actually enjoyed this game throughout- first one this season!

A huge gap now evident between us and the top 4 when it wasn't so visible 2 seasons ago. And I don't think Chelseas squad is much better than the FA Cup Semi squad so we've got worse.

I think the Centre Backs Union saved us this year (and looking back said they would) but didn't think one would up front.

Sams done a sticky tape and glue job on a deteriorating squad and WBA should be like a promotion party for us - 'cos that's what happened this season - we were down, now we're up.

Some observations

- We seem to be able to spend again - Phew TFFT!

- We have an unfit bulky squad - thought Diouf looked big and fit until he swapped ###### with Essian (surely the best midfielder in the country by a mile). The two centre half injuries proved it for me - pulled muscles usually occur through overstretching.

- Yesterday typified all our recent games bar none. We will not shoot - is that confidence or something else? Please tell me why this is. I counted 5 shots in the first half that were passed up for an over intricate sideways pass. SHOOT you muppets! Oh for a Lampard like approach to shooting.

- We played football Waggy and some nice stuff. It's not all up and under.

Robbo - he's winning me over, he is you know..

Back Four -

Andrews - must be on a big wage o/w he'd be dropped. Had a car like that - cost me a lot so I used it up.

Warnock - back to defensive school I'm afraid.

C/Hs - Excellent (said they would keep....oh already said that)

Midfield

Tugay - Big party's next week Tugs. Not up to competing a powerhouse midfield like yesterday (few are!)

Grella - Mmmmm Big party's next week Vince - but it's not yours so get yer finger out.

Doran had pace! It's a start. (Hope the stiching in the Rovers shirts are up to it, never been speed tested for years)

MGP - Well that early shot must have took it out of him. I think he'll end up at left back. He doesn't want to run forward with the ball even when there is acres of space in front of him. Or he's scared of Warnock going missing.

Benni went on his holidays Sunday morning but sent us a nice postcard of himself which Sam duly put on the pitch in the second half..

Samba - Man of the season for me by a country mile. Best Forward, Best Defender. Probably best keepr and best midfielder too. Best steward, barman and piemaker probably too.

Villenueva - It's either find him in the box or cherio and thanks son. 23/4 is too old for big improvements.

But hey - Promotion party next week so who cares and let's hope we're better prepared for next season. Actually compared to this season thats a given even if Sams cat is put in charge.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was 17 at the beginning of the week - give him a chance FFS!!

"Giving him a chance" doesn't mean his performances should be exaggerated. Talking about him like he's Jairzinho won't make his chances of a permanent spot in teh team any more likely.

He did OK, looks better that Treacy (although that's not really too difficult) and could well start against West Brom.

He didn't pull up any trees, but neither did he look fantastic.

"Giving him a chance" doesn't mean his performances should be exaggerated. Talking about him like he's Jairzinho won't make his chances of a permanent spot in teh team any more likely.

He did OK, looks better that Treacy (although that's not really too difficult) and could well start against West Brom.

+1

You also forget his tracking back to get infront of Essien and then win a foul? Showing real desire to win back a ball he had lost, if only MGP could do the same!!

He was 17 at the beginning of the week - give him a chance FFS!! He has only made appearances against City, Liverpool & Chelsea away. All when we were already in a losing position. Sam must see something to give him the chance. He has also jumped ahead of the likes of Treacy.

18 wasn't it?

Who talked about him like he was 'Jairzinho'?

He turned 18 last week.

I'd likely be in total agreement if I didn't know how much money has been invested in the Chelsea squad and paying their wages, a team are in the FA Cup Final, will finish a close 3rd in the prem and are not in the Champions League final purely because a star studded Barca managed just one decent shot on target in the last minute of the semi final.

Still there you go. A sense of perspective should always be applied to these situations imo.

And let's all be in favour of Truth and firmly against Sin should we?

Are you saying that it is only against Chelsea that we are so supine? Seriously? We had too many people out of position, (Samba, Andrews, Diouf - ?_ Givet), too many who didnt understand their position (Villanueva,Andrews again) and too many who just werent good enough (Andrews, Diouf, Villanueva, Tugay, Grella, Pedersen, McCarthy - well at that size anyway - ) be that Chelsea or Chesterfield.

Of course there should be perspective but from one looking forward. Major overhaul required otherwiswe expect a re run of next season. If that is £40m worth of wage talent out there I have no sense of perspective.

And let's all be in favour of Truth and firmly against Sin should we?

Are you saying that it is only against Chelsea that we are so supine? Seriously? We had too many people out of position, (Samba, Andrews, Diouf - ?_ Givet), too many who didnt understand their position (Villanueva,Andrews again) and too many who just werent good enough (Andrews, Diouf, Villanueva, Tugay, Grella, Pedersen, McCarthy - well at that size anyway - ) be that Chelsea or Chesterfield.

Of course there should be perspective but from one looking forward. Major overhaul required otherwiswe expect a re run of next season. If that is £40m worth of wage talent out there I have no sense of perspective.

Jesus that sounded grumpy. Sorry Theno. Just think we need a clear out... don't you.? who would pass your Cliff test in terms of the first team squad?

I went to the game and first half Rovers didnt fare too badly, the only weakness being Diouf's refusal to help Andrews at all exposing him time and again. Down the left though Sam had obviously spotted a weakness in Boswinga who was positionally all over the place. Several times Rovers worked openings there. But Pedersen has no pace and yesterday had no heart. Villanueva? Great touches but defensively has no idea and consistently let the Chelsea midfield run past him. At times he Grella and Tugay were rooted in front of the back 4. No pace at all there and Samba was totally isolated. Second half was a procession.

All in all Rovers are extremely lucky to have a strategist like Sam who has woven a silk purse from a crusty old sow's ear. Andrews, Grella, Tugay, Villanueva, Pedersen, McCarthy, Diouf, are just not good enough, or are no longer. With so many players out of their depth or out of position because the alternative was so horrific this has been a Brer Rabbit like spring out of the briar patch and into Premier clover. The stables need cleaning and Sam is the Hercules to do it. Yesterday just proved how much sh*t there is to shovel.

Spot on iamarover, especially Pedersen whom i've overlooked, he definitely looked like he had no pace and no heart. We cant keep carrying the lad he either gets focused again and strengthens his own mind to do better or its offski for the Norwegian. At times he looked more suitable in a black mini-skirt than a pair of shorts, just not good enough, though the thought of an ageing Johnny Rotten to replace MGP doesnt inspire one either.

Jesus that sounded grumpy. Sorry Theno. Just think we need a clear out... don't you.? who would pass your Cliff test in terms of the first team squad?

We do (in fact we need one every season by rights) but even when we do comparisons will always fall short against the perrenial CL clubs.

Archived