BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cod: Modern Warfare 2

Oh what a fool I was. Started it and chose to play on hardened. The screen just keeps going red with my blood and then I die. Even as soon as I spawn sometimes it already going red before I have chance to look around.

I am not ashamed to say I am dropping back down to regular setting.

I have to say though that its not blowing me away like COD 4 did or more recently unchartered.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

I think lots of people are finding the same after Uncharted. The thing that Uncharted did so well was to get the pacing right, you would have bits were it was manic, then the game would slow down for a bit and then speed up again, that combined with the superb cut scenes and engaging storyline made a superb one player experience, I am finding that COD5 is not like that, it is just wave after wave of enemies and very intense, and whereas COD4 had cut scenes and relatively good storyline which tied things together, this one doesn't, also in COD4 the pacing was better and there were a variety of missions (ie sniper mission), I am half way through and yet to see any variety. Still a very good game but doesn't reach the high standard that Uncharted set.

Finished the single player last night.

Not blown away by it - ok story but a bit short. The special ops games are good though and should have a bit of shelf life. It's as what everyone else is saying though - online is where it's at. Problem is I'm not great at it - or should I say there are many far better players than me who blatantly play it every hour god sends. I'm from the PC school of FPS and find it miles easier with a mouse and keyboard - does anyone know if you can use a mouse on the Xbox? I suspect not.

I haven't touched single player yet, straight online for me, when it eventually got working. Loving it, all the maps are great, not sure if i've played them all yet, the one thing that annoys me is the problems with inviting friends. Half the time it doesn't work. Also my nat type keeps changing, went from open to moderate and then to strict! Back to moderate today which is strange. They have gotta bring back the WaW style of inviting friends, sooo much less hassle then goin through the ps button, which is becoming a pain when only half the time it actually works

Finished the single player last night.

Not blown away by it - ok story but a bit short. The special ops games are good though and should have a bit of shelf life. It's as what everyone else is saying though - online is where it's at. Problem is I'm not great at it - or should I say there are many far better players than me who blatantly play it every hour god sends.

I would go along with this.

Finished it tonight - in the one sitting. I dont think it was a patch on the first one (although another great ending I thought) and I dont think its anywhere near Killzone 2.

My biggest problem really is the AI. The guys on your team might as well not be there at all. The enemy AI is awful. The amount of times that they just run past my team (and of course my team let them)to get to me was unbelievable). There were a few times where I just focused on one point with a sniper and the enemy just spawned about 20 times running into the same spot.

I keep banging on about Killzone but those guys got the AI bang on when they move and flank to get away from you. COD just seems to think to make it harder you make more enemies.

Glad I gave the main game a spanking because its getting traded for Assassins Creed 2 on Friday.

(Just to point out though that I am not a big fan of this one online either but I can see why some people would be so if you like the online shooter you may like this so dont let anything I have said put you off)

Cocker try some of the Spec ops before you trade it in, it relates to some of the single player missions but It's a lot more fun trying to beat the time or get the 3 stars etc.

Ok I am a big fan of the multiplayer as I have been with the previous Cod games. This game is very campy though compared to past times so it is pretty easy to win matches as everyone is trying to get a good KDR (Kill Death Ratio). I play FPS games competively with and against some of the best players in Europe so my friends list is full of some top players. I've noticed that most of them have 3+ KDR whilst their win ratio is at 1.0 - 1.5. This proves to me how the focus has changed from winning to getting kills so expect the camping to continue guys.

I picked this up yesterday from Tesco for 25 quid (though I had to purchase another top 20 game with it to avail of the offer. I'll return that game tomorrow for a refund).

I like the multi-player very much however the developers have pulled a fast one by suggesting from pre-release footage that there's more to the campaign than there really is. I suspect I'm already half way through. Scheisters. :angry2:

Like I said I didn't really get into the single player that much and online you can already tell that people have the maps plastered on the inside of their eye lids and so I am getting killed left right and centre.

What I have spent the last 4 hours playing is the Spec Ops mode (with a friend) which is most enjoyable. Its great when your buddy is on the headset watching your back - its what I liked most about on Rainbow 6. There is a level where one of you is in a chopper and the other on the ground. We were shouting at each other all the way though. The fun bit was swapping roles and the understanding what the other had to deal with - good stuff that mode (although I don't like it on single player)

I don't like CoD actually. Don't hate it, just think it's vastly overrated and the developers are just cashing in with very little effort put in. I got Modern Warfare and World at War but once I finished them (far too quickly) I never really went back. I tried online a few times but as others have said it's occupied by people who play it 24/7 and it's just not fun being cannon fodder for everyone else.

I don't think I will get MW2, the first one was good, not great and if this one is worse I think I'll get Forza instead.

My main issues with the games are the endless respawning enemies, it's so wholly unrealistic, pointless and yesteryear, no...yestermillenium!

There are way too many scripted events as well, crap AI (on both sides) and far too linear.

On the plus side; the graphics are very good, realistic weapons, good cutscenes and stories and a handful of outstanding missions (AC10 and ghillied up in MW1).

Just think it is lacking in some major areas and if FPS games like Halo and Rainbow 6 can manage to overcome the above issues the developers should put more effort into the series instead of just pumping out generic clones of each game.

Finished single player campaign yesterday. It always takes me longer to complete games as I have little time to play but to have completed it in 4 small sessions within a week is not acceptable for a game as hyped as this. Killzone 2 is a much better thought out, as Cocker has said far more intelligent AI and is a real challenge. It's also much much bigger. Not particularly interested in online but my mate finally switched to PS3 3 weeks ago so will give co-op missions a go first but now looking forward to Assassins Creed 2.

Finding MW2 alot harder online than MW1 and WAW. Your health seems much lower than world at war and you die almost instantly as soon as someone starts shooting. On the last versions you had a couple of seconds to try and find cover. Saying that its also easier to kill people. Finding it hard to get any decent streaks going though as whenever im on a run someone manages to pick me off from miles away and even guns without much fire power finish you off instantly. Starting to get used to the maps, hate the one in the snow though. Always do crap on that.

• 1 month later...

I'm not too keen on the special ops, some are quite good, but I find that on most of them I get bored quite quickly. I think there should definately be a mode that allows you to have up to 4 player deathmatches with bots, something like perfect dark had on the 64 would be ideal

Always loved the idea of bots in single player games since counterstrike, enjoyed that they had this type of gameplay in killzone and they are quite realistic too, modern warfare 2 has been a huge letdown for me having followed the game since it first went mutliplayer on pc.

The version on PC was a huge letdown not having dedicated servers, i wouldnt have whined so much about it but it has so many cheaters online its beyond belief and that is not to mention the connection problems.

So I bought the game on PS3 and as I had never played a fps on a console before it took a bit of getting used to and now I am enjoying it but too me it isnt much different to modern warfare 1 apart from the maps or weapons, the real killer for me is the co-op, its just rubbish simple as, cod waw had nazi zombies which was the best co-op game I have played to this which jsut isnt as good.

The single player isnt long enough either and the storyline is far too shaky, 1 minute you are chasing the evil airport massacre man then the next deal you are making deals with him, its a very weak storyline which was backed up by an employee who worked for infinity ward that claimed that the production team were so far behind they had no chance of making the release date without making cuts, hence the reason the PC version was a direct port of the console version.

Doesnt stop me playing it though :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

Whats everyones stats now? Mine are

Level 43 1st prestige

Kill/Death - 1.31 (about 7600 kills - 5800 deaths)

Win Ratio - 0.98

Accuracy - 19.2%

Favourite Guns - M16, The third sniper rifle to be unlocked with Acog scope, FAL rifle, Rafica pistol and Akimbo Ranger Shotguns

Favourite perks, either:

Assault Rifles:

Scavenger Pro

Stopping Power Pro

Commando

Sniping:

Thermal Scope

Scavenger Pro

Stopping Power Pro

Steady Aim Pro

Sneaky:

Silenced Scar rifle

Marathon/Scavenger Pro

Cold Blooded

Ninja Pro

Level 55 1st prestige

Kill/Death - 1.11

Win Ratio - 1.19

Accuracy - 16.82%

Favourite Guns - Intervention with Thermal Scope, ACR, Akimbo UMP/MP5K Akimbo Rafica pistol and USP/M9 Tactical Knife

Favourite perks, either:

Assault+SMG:

Scavenger Pro

Stopping Power Pro

Steady Aim Pro

Semtex

Stun Grenade

Sniping:

Scavenger Pro

Stopping Power Pro

Steady Aim Pro

Clyamore