BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blues Bar

Can anyone explain what has happened to the service and the food in the Blues Bar on match day?

The guy who is running the Blues on match day is arrogant, the food seems to have gone extortionate, the service behind the bar is dreadful(I was the first in at half time v Pompey, 6 bar staff and couldn't get a drink as they were too busy messing around) bar 2 bar staff members (one male, one female who are real bar 'persons')

We pay £40/season for membership to go in the Blues at half time and the catering I feel is totally disorganised. A friend who in a member is vegetarian and on numerous occasions recently has been told that if she wants a cheese and onion pie that she MUST have gravy with it!!! Crazy!!!

A simple menu is what is needed, Chips (£1.75), Chips and Gravy (£2), Chips and Curry sauce (£2), Pies (£1.80), Bread rolls (60p), mushy peas (40p), Gravy (25p)

Any combination of the above to be available.

Any thoughts anyone? it was good when Melanie was running it, Melanie listened to what members really wanted. Maybe not everything made business sense but all us members realise that the business needs to make money but appreciate the management taking our ideas on board.

There are also, on a regular basis, people already in the Blues Bar drinking watching the game on the TV when we enter from the concourse at half time, what on earth is going on there?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you passed this to the club?

I stopped going into Blues when they started charging £1.

I've not contacted the club about it as yet, I want to see what the general view is from other members/visitors.

I don't go in the Blues before the game (I prefer the Fax) and on the odd occasion I'll go in the Blues for a couple after the game.

I'd be interested to hear folks' views on Blues and stadium catering in general over the next couple of weeks. Is this view on Blues representative?

The Fans Forum is meeting on 1st June and Mel, Rovers Catering Manager, will be coming along to discuss catering so it's your chance to tell us what you think so that we can go with some proper feedback and preferably some ideas for next season.

I'd be interested to hear folks' views on Blues and stadium catering in general over the next couple of weeks. Is this view on Blues representative?

The Fans Forum is meeting on 1st June and Mel, Rovers Catering Manager, will be coming along to discuss catering so it's your chance to tell us what you think so that we can go with some proper feedback and preferably some ideas for next season.

That's great news. That is more than I could have hoped for to be honest.

I'm not on the fans forum, I attended the first (and only of my knowledge) forum Mel had held at the Blues Bar and Mel took a lot out of it and put it into practice. I assumed Mel was no longer involved in the Blues, I also assume that the Rovers had maybe franchised the Blues with so many changes and such a drop in standard of the day to day (or on my experience match to match) running of the Blues Bar.

I've got to be honest, I've not been in the Blues Bar other than match day, I used to take business client in the Blackburn area for lunch from time to time and it was fantastic but I am now based in Manchester. I have had derogatory reports from family members about the quality of the Blues Bar other than match day recently, on one occasion my girlfriends brother had gone in for a meal and actually left before ordering as the service was that bad, and he is a very easy going person.

I only go in on match days after the game and it can take a long time to get a very average expensive pint.

We used to stay for 3 or 4 but now leave after 1 or as soon as enough traffic has gone so we can catch the bus home.

I only go in on match days after the game and it can take a long time to get a very average expensive pint.

We used to stay for 3 or 4 but now leave after 1 or as soon as enough traffic has gone so we can catch the bus home.

I agree, the service is terrible, I appreciate that there are a lot of people in the Blues, but there are also a lot of barstaff that don't take much notice of the customers....

I don't think it's a bad pint though. It's what they've done to the food that annoy's me the most.

I agree, the service is terrible, I appreciate that there are a lot of people in the Blues, but there are also a lot of barstaff that don't take much notice of the customers....

I don't think it's a bad pint though. It's what they've done to the food that annoy's me the most.

I think there was about 8 bar staff on saturday they just dont seem to have any urgency as me and my friends where waiting 3 of them were trying to unstack the glasses one of the glass collectors had left there if it wasn't so funny i would have got angry.

Im not a massive fan of calsberg so that probably why i think its not a very good pint. lol

I think there was about 8 bar staff on saturday they just dont seem to have any urgency as me and my friends where waiting 3 of them were trying to unstack the glasses one of the glass collectors had left there if it wasn't so funny i would have got angry.

Im not a massive fan of calsberg so that probably why i think its not a very good pint. lol

I've got to admit I don't go for Carlsberg so I drink Smooth or Guinness.

The bar staff need sorting out. Cocky and arrogant. The bar staff were much better last season and earlier this season.

I agree. It's a joke. Prices are sooooo expensive and the food choice is crap!!!!

And......it costs a quid per person to get in.

Sniper, have a look at the simple menu/prices in my opening post, let me know your views.

The prices are just off the top of my head, but surely the Blues Bar could run a decent at those costs. I'm sure I could make a profit at that. Maybe they need a few lessons in the buying dept.

I wasn't aware that it costs a quid to get in, if that is the case (and it obviously is) then why don't they hold a raffle to win drinks? 3 prizes, 3 pints, 2 pints and 1 pint... It's not much but it keeps people interested.

its' a rip off just like it is inside the ground and the beer is awful anyway, I always go to a pub before a game and after the game now, better pints and a lot cheaper.

I always go to the Fox before the game but the Blues is a god send at half time.

I went into Blues for the first time on Saturday so my view is hardly representative.

But I was not impressed by the bar staff at all- got two of my five drinks order completely wrong, took a long time to be able to place the order relative to the numbers waiting (after being told to move away from the area where glasses are returned- not that there was any signage) then a ridiculous amount of time from ordering to getting the drinks.

I saw the food area but there was no visible information about prices or encouragement to go and buy. The food looked fine from what I could see.

All iv to add is that their in-out policy before a game is stupid.

Usually there is a que waiting to get in, yet when you get in, its nowhere near packed. Maybe they could add a bottle bar (to the left when you go in) to reduce waiting times as most people would just buy bottles.

I went into Blues for the first time on Saturday so my view is hardly representative.

But I was not impressed by the bar staff at all- got two of my five drinks order completely wrong, took a long time to be able to place the order relative to the numbers waiting (after being told to move away from the area where glasses are returned- not that there was any signage) then a ridiculous amount of time from ordering to getting the drinks.

I saw the food area but there was no visible information about prices or encouragement to go and buy. The food looked fine from what I could see.

I was also there on saturday. The sign for the glasses was on the blackboard near the return glasses area.

The food menu was on the tables as well as the pricing. There was also a large menu pinned on the right of the bar area. The food was ok. To be honest I had no problems with the service either - I was served fairly quick etc. I must admit I wasn't impressed by the general attitude of the barstaff - not just on the saturday either.

I was in there on sunday as well - pointless them cooking a carvery though - only 2 people ate it.

I can only get to rovers about twice a year - so I cannot really be a judge as to the norm at the blues bar. My wife and I always have a long weekend in Blackburn when we come for a game - always staying in travelodge in darwen (£19.00 a room)

I agree. It's a joke. Prices are sooooo expensive and the food choice is crap!!!!

And......it costs a quid per person to get in.

Strange you say it costs a quid to get in. My wife wrote to them before travelling up from the south coast and they gave us both a free pass. Maybe that was because the respected the distance we traveled to come to the game.

Beer was £2.50 a pint, where I live it normally costs £2.80 to £3.20 a pint - so for £2.50 a pint was ok.

Have you passed this to the club?

I stopped going into Blues when they started charging £1.

I hope he has passed it to the club and educated them in cuisine.Idiots.

Never been in the bar myself but I will certainly be up there next season for a portion of chips with gravy, curry sauce, mushy peas ,another portion of chips on top, a cheese and onion pie up my arse and a bread roll balancing on my bonce.

Bluesberry pie for desert with chips,gravy or curry sauce or any combination of the above, 25p extra.

Bring back Melanie bring back chips and chips and chips and chips

and chips and chips

and more chips.

I too have a blues bar membership and certainly will not be renewing it next season. By the time you have queued and got your drink at half time it is nearly time to return to your seat. I have eaten several times in Blues and I think only the once I have been happy with what I have eaten. Will probably still go before the games next season but not prepared to pay and extra £21 to go in at half time.

Never been myself, but do they do Spam?

Spam would confuse the punters,just stick to chips chips chips a few more chips

and chips.

I too have a blues bar membership and certainly will not be renewing it next season. By the time you have queued and got your drink at half time it is nearly time to return to your seat. I have eaten several times in Blues and I think only the once I have been happy with what I have eaten. Will probably still go before the games next season but not prepared to pay and extra £21 to go in at half time.

Well I'm deffo getting a membership next season,the chips are on me.

And more chips.

I hope he has passed it to the club and educated them in cuisine.Idiots.

I imagine I was expressing the futility of moaning on the internet rather than telling the club why the oft heaving Blues Bar has been replaced with a seldom busy Blues Bar.

They could have put chips on the menu then.

Earlier in the season wasn't the new chef in the programme? Meant to be renowned?

How can you be renowned for serving a chip butty in a polystyrene tray for 1.70, which given the now frugal portions probably costs 10p per chip.

We at least used to get a half decent selection at half time, but ever since its appeared a new bloke took over and moved everything about its gone down hill. Service on Saturday was not good.. how difficult is it to remember the prices when theres only 5 options on the menu.

I believe the food before the match is a different option to what we're served up with at half time, and is at least ok.

P.S Pafell - its 3.00 a pint at half time so its easily the most expensive pint around.

Archived