BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Old School Adventure Games

• Backroom

Any fans of Old school point and click games here?

Just got Scumm working with Curse of Monkey Island, I forgot just how good it was. I'm still hoping for a new Monkey Island at some stage

Criminally I've never played Grim Famdango, does it work with Scumm?

I used to love those too and I've never played Grimm Famdango either - always looked like a good game. Scumm doesn't have it listed on their compatibility list but I bet you'd be able to play it it with Dosbox.

Sam and Max was another good one :)

• Backroom

I had an old robin hood adventure game on my amiga, was class :D last old-school point and click game I played was Colonization. Not an adventure game, but still very addictive.

Any fans of Old school point and click games here?

Just got Scumm working with Curse of Monkey Island, I forgot just how good it was. I'm still hoping for a new Monkey Island at some stage

Criminally I've never played Grim Famdango, does it work with Scumm?

Grim Fandango is awesome.

I guess it depends on what OS you are using, it worked fine for me on XP.

Worked fine for me on XP too, it was the first game by LucasArts not to use the Scumm engine so it definitely doesn't work with ScummVM.

I think there's something called 'Grim Launcher' (Google it) that helps with running the game on newer versions of Windows.

Play "Beneath a Steel Sky".

Seriously.

That game was brilliant. I seem to remember a few strange characters in that one. Oh and that security guard getting chopped in half when you make it down the lift shaft :)

I used to love these games – the Monkey Island series was my favourite although for me it lost its magic when it went all 3D. Also from Lucasarts – Loom and Indiana Jones most certainly worth a pop. I always remember the Lucasarts games particularly for their brilliant humour.

One of the best in the Lucasarts collection was Full Throttle – brilliant humour and a great soundtrack – do not miss this one, crimincally forgotten about but for me one of the best in it's genre. (£7.98 with free delivery):

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/156119/Ful...le/Product.html

I also thoroughly enjoyed Sierra’s Police Quest and Space Quest Series – classics. You can buy the police quest series (1 to 4) for £7.50 (link below)

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3337466/Po...on/Product.html

and the space quest series (1 to 6) for just £4.50!

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3337467/Sp...on/Product.html

I also remember “Beneath a Steel Sky” well – I remember getting stuck right at the beginning for about two days – if memory serves you started dumped on a small moon or something and you had to jump through some holes?

Has anyone played the two Discworld games as well? I think they're right up there with LucasArts in terms of humour, and some of the puzzles are brilliant too. I played them a few months back and they haven't aged badly at all.

The voice acting in it is great as well. Not sure if you can buy it anymore but I got them both from abandonware sites. Tried playing Discworld Noir as well but it just wasn't the same.

I also remember “Beneath a Steel Sky” well – I remember getting stuck right at the beginning for about two days – if memory serves you started dumped on a small moon or something and you had to jump through some holes?

No, you started in some sort of warehouse on a platform near the roof and had to attract their attention and go out a door that lead to nowhere, hang off the door frame (if I remember right)...can't remember quite how it went after that but it involved speaking to the (rude :) ) engineer and building the robot that helps you throughout the game. Some great moments in there :)

I do remember a slightly surreal point in that game where you actually jump into another game and have to navigate a few rooms with some weird eyeballs (viruses) trying to catch you.

Only one adventure game for me.

Tex Murphy, the game is amazing! Even by todays standards

I tried installing the Pandora Detective a couple of months back but I couldn't get it working, have you played it recently on XP? Did you have to do anything special to get it working? The only way I can think of maybe getting it to work is using Windows 95 and Virtual Machine, but finding a copy of Windows 95 to put on it isn't easy.

I loved all the old style LucasArts adventures. To be honest though, the only 2 I managed to finish without cheating were Day of the Tentacle and Fate of Atlantis. The monkey island series just seemed to get more and more bizarre in that, didn't somewhere in the 3rd one, you have to boil a frog in a pot to get out of a window? or something like like. Always going to try that combination!

Also liked the Simon the Sorcerer series, mainly as they were quite easy.

Oh and, not forgetting the other Sierra classics, Leisure Suit Larry. Number 3 was the best, LSL Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals. great game.

Re release of Secret of Monkey Island this summer on XBOX360 and PC. They have tarted it all up and added voices which is great, but you can also switch back to the original game layout and sound whenever you want - its like one of those beautiful moments when your exact vision or idea becomes a reality. Can't wait!!

• Backroom

New eposodic game, 5 parts in total about 2 hours each made by telltale the people who did the new sam n max content.

I can't wait although the art style is questionable maybe.

Can't wait for the remake on XBLA.

I tried installing the Pandora Detective a couple of months back but I couldn't get it working, have you played it recently on XP? Did you have to do anything special to get it working? The only way I can think of maybe getting it to work is using Windows 95 and Virtual Machine, but finding a copy of Windows 95 to put on it isn't easy.

Glad to see fellow Tex Murphy players!

I used DOSBOX? And it worked for a while, but encountered some problems.

Try Nilo's place, they have things to get the game to work

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

• 1 month later...

Anyone played the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island? I just finished it tonight and I'm very impressed, I didn't build my hopes up with it being Telltale games making it but they've done a brilliant job.

The remake of the Secret of Monkey Island is out on the 15th too, can't wait.

Anyone remember "Greedy Gulch" on the Spectrum? One of the first i completed!

Only vaguely rings a bell don't think I played it. On the spectrum though I did enjoy playing "The Helm" (Codemasters I think) and "Urban Upstart" - quality games text adventures. "Go North", "Look", "Use Kettle".... "**** YOU ARE DEAD**** Retry Y/N??"

Archived