BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Memories

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an atmosphere today. It really was Tugay day. They even announced him as man of the match as he was substituted.

What a guy, he will be missed. Even now that his legs have gone he was still capable of something brilliant.

Tugay you are my Turkish delight!

For those who weren't there...

24052009070.jpg

Just got back in from Tugay Day and like everyone else...

Thank you for the memories Tugay, I've held a season ticket for the entire length of your Rovers career, from being 14-22, I don't see how you can be dislodged from being my favourite Rover of all time.

My personal favourite memory: Probably the substitution today, the Turkish flags looked fantastic!

Not including today: His celebration against Spurs two years ago. (Ignoring his sending off later that game!)

:tu:

The pleasure was all ours Tugay.

i actually had a tear roll down my cheek as tugs left the pitch ,i feel even now like a close friend as died.

I'll tell you what, when the first piano keys of 'Nobody does it better' played, it really did feel like a funeral. Odd as it sounds, considering the mood was so celebratory of Tugay's contribution to our club.

Tugay = Rovers Legend

• Backroom

Brilliant reception for the legend.

We were walking down th stairs on our way out of the Pennants lounge after a superb day today and no other than the man himself was at the bottom, I managed to shake his hand and get a picture taken with him, I feel priveleged to have met him today of all days it must be said.

What a great send off, very emotional and very fitting.

A few of my favourite/strongest Tugay moments (in no order):

1) When we lost in Souness's final full season to portsmouth at home and it looked like relegation was a certainty I can remember Tugs sitting dejected in the centre circle, just as gutted as every rovers fan. It's nice to have players who care.

2) Wigan away league cup quarter final - 2 perfect through balls to Cole to score the goals. Everyone (including me) throught he was giving away posession, and hadn't spotted that as a pass at all, which is just one of the many moves that highlights what an intelligent footballer Tugay is.

3) Tugs goal vs Basle. He's scored some screamers, but that one I saw live and left me stunned, what a belter.

4) Today's substitution - they're normally legendary but he saved the best one to last; hugged every rovers player, shook hands with a few west brom players, and still had time to applaude every stand individually.

Ashamedly following Claire, who clearly had a better camera and vantage point than I... :blush:

A wave for the Riverside

24052009065-1.jpg

And Removing his boots for later throwing into the crowd

24052009062.jpg

It felt very emotional today. I couldn't sing the Turkish delight song as it gave me a lump in my throat every time I tried - can't explain it. Over the years there have been many games when Tugay's play has been worth the entire attendance money on its own and there are not many players we've had since Shearer perhaps that you can say that about. I fear we may never see his like again but 8 years is 8 more years than many clubs so we should be thankful.

I think Robbie Savage summed it up when asked what instructions Hughes had given him. "Win the ball and give it to Tugay"

Tugay - thanks for the memories :D

Heard Tugays son was talking to his mate when the roll call came out for Tugay to go on the pitch and missed going out onto the pitch with his dad.

Tugay's son (complete with Lancashire twang) was talking to Radio Rovers after the game. Apparently he's a budding young centre mid and plays in the kids team.

Guest Kamy100

I feel honoured to have seen a player of Tugay's ability at Ewood Park.

Felt incredibly emotional at the end of the game, well done to Rovers and the fans for giving such a great send off. That video at the end that Rovers TV produced was superb.

Thanks for all the memories, you may be gone but will never be forgotten.

Tuguy = Rovers Legend.

It felt very emotional today. I couldn't sing the Turkish delight song as it gave me a lump in my throat every time I tried - can't explain it. Over the years there have been many games when Tugay's play has been worth the entire attendance money on its own and there are not many players we've had since Shearer perhaps that you can say that about. I fear we may never see his like again but 8 years is 8 more years than many clubs so we should be thankful.

I think Robbie Savage summed it up when asked what instructions Hughes had given him. "Win the ball and give it to Tugay"

Tugay - thanks for the memories :D

Spot on.

A very emotional day, Tugay has been such a special player for Rovers. When he walked out as captain at 2.55 I was already welling up. I remember when Souness signed him, it was almost a straight replacement for Eyal Berkovic and we wondered at the time if anyone could replace the genial on loan Israeli.

I very much doubt I'll see another player complete 8 years at my football club. Certainly not one like Tugay. I'm frustrated that he has had to make his exit - I know for a fact he wanted to stay at Rovers, if not as a player than in any other capacity.

For those who say his legs have gone, I disagree. He's played 70+ minutes in the last 4 games and has contributed a lot. That ability and stamina is not going to change between now and August. If there was no room as a player, then the club should have kept him on, sponsored him through his badges and them found him a role in the coaching structure, rather than severing ties today.

My memory of Tugay isn't a single event (although some stunning goals are lodged for good) - it's just Tugay. A proper person.

Poor Match but great day.

Did anyone stay in the ground on this messageboard after all the players walked round the pitch? because Tugay came back out and was signing autographs for everyone and I mean everyone that was still In the Blackburn Rovers end and Jack Walker. Got to have my picture with the great man as well.

Meet him again after the game outside the player entrance the time now was 7.45 and he was still signing. I asked him what are his plans next season and he said playing on the pitch!!!!, Please Sam say you have made a rare mistake and noticed in the last 3 games he still has something to offer even if it is a cameo role. I am sure his is joking to be honest unless the rumours about QPR wanting him are true.

Then just as he was leaving towards the car park he understanbaly didnt want to sign any more after doing so for nearly 2 hours some very short sighted person shouted after all we have done for you :angry: and Tugs replied back angirly that I have been signing for the last 2 hours!!!

Tugay you are and will always be a legend and you are a class act and you will be missed please come back and see us all again Ewood Park is your home and we are your extended family

Ps did anyone else nearly cry when the video tribute with no body does it better started to play :blush:

And thank you Andre, Carlos and Aaron and good like with the rest of your careers :

Archived