BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Memories

I missed the game today due to mitigating circumstances, and for that I am truely gutted. Although I feel like I would have welled up watching them game. It seems silly getting all nostalgic about a player - espcially knowing he's retiring at 37 and I've got to work until I'm 65, but, such is life - although he will always be regarded as a legend amongst us.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Rovers would do well to commission an official Tugay DVD, would sell like hotcakes.

Radio Rovers said this seasons DVD would contain an extended tribute to the legend including the scenes played on the big screen today. Would never have considered buying this seasons review but I can't wait for it now, hopefully there will be a "Skip Inces Games" option on the menu :D

Im getting a sickening feeling inside that Tugay is not retiring but just moving away from us...

I dont know why...

Is there anything to it?

The word retire has never been used neither by Rovers, Tugay, JW, or Big Sam...Just that its his last game for us...

Im getting a sickening feeling inside that Tugay is not retiring but just moving away from us...

I dont know why...

Is there anything to it?

The word retire has never been used neither by Rovers, Tugay, JW, or Big Sam...Just that its his last game for us...

I know what you mean. I think that would only be a problem if he went to another Premier League club.

With Sam's track record though, I would have thought there was any top level football left in him, he'd have spotted it and given him another 1 year contract.

From watching him this season, the last three games apart where the adrenaline has kept him going, his legs aren't there any more (not that it was ever his strength) and I would have hated to see his football career literally limp into retirement. Now he can leave with his head held high.

The scenes yesterday were not simply the kind of sentiment attached to an old man being given his gold watch - he is genuinely still a hero. I'm glad he's gone at this stage rather than try to keep going in spite of his body and being embarrassed by some young players.

Tugay = Legend

One paper today, think its the sun, says that tugay is going on holiday for a couple of months then wants a coaching job in the youth team of a top flight club before coming back to blackburn with qualifications in a couple of years. He also told me before the match, he's wants to be the next rovers manager.

That would be brilliant.

I spoke to Tugay after the game and asked him his plan for next season and he said playing on the pitch!!! although also when i meet him about 30 mins before and said one more season him simply said no.

Reading into that perhaps he has decided one more year at another club maybe the rumours of QPR being intrested are true?

After the match my brother spoke to him and asked him "Rovers manager one day" to which he responded with a smile "I hope so".

Let him get his qualifications and earn his stripes somewhere and one day he can take over our club, Im sure...

Spot on.

A very emotional day, Tugay has been such a special player for Rovers. When he walked out as captain at 2.55 I was already welling up. I remember when Souness signed him, it was almost a straight replacement for Eyal Berkovic and we wondered at the time if anyone could replace the genial on loan Israeli.

I very much doubt I'll see another player complete 8 years at my football club. Certainly not one like Tugay. I'm frustrated that he has had to make his exit - I know for a fact he wanted to stay at Rovers, if not as a player than in any other capacity.

For those who say his legs have gone, I disagree. He's played 70+ minutes in the last 4 games and has contributed a lot. That ability and stamina is not going to change between now and August. If there was no room as a player, then the club should have kept him on, sponsored him through his badges and them found him a role in the coaching structure, rather than severing ties today.

My memory of Tugay isn't a single event (although some stunning goals are lodged for good) - it's just Tugay. A proper person.

A share your thoughts Tris, I would suggest that there is more sentiment and moral honour at Rovers than most clubs. How many clubs would have perservered with Matt Jansen, unfortunately there is no room for sentiment in todays game, otherwise Tony Parks would never have been sacked by Rovers.

I have got to say I really admire the man, I have got to admit that when he arrived I had no idea who he was, but after seeing him represent us in the famous rovers blue and white (minus the challenge on David Sommiel,lol) I am proud to say "TUGAY PLAYED FOR BLACKBURN"

unfortunately there is no room for sentiment in todays game, otherwise Tony Parks would never have been sacked by Rovers.

I can tell you that there was much more to Hughes getting rid of Tony than meets the eye!!!

• Backroom

I was talkingto a Turkish bloke after he match after talking to Tugay who turned out to be Tugay's brother, he said he used to play in Turkey and now has been a manager and coach for 13 years there, I had no idea to be honest.

It was emotional seeing the turkish contingent meeting Tugay.

There's nothing left to say about Tugay, that hasn't already been mentioned.

He will forever be a Rovers legend, and it was very poignant to see him bow out after becoming part of the furniture. I sincerely hope we see him back at the club one day.

It was emotional seeing the turkish contingent meeting Tugay.

That's a good point. I think the fact that so many Turks were at the match would suggest that Tugay's playing days are over. I'd be suprised if he did turn up at QPR or elsewhere.

Archived