BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who's Worth Keeping?

Sorry if this has been discussed at length elsewhere but I think this is a different and worthwhile question rather than who we should be buying. Who in the current squad is up to it? To my mind we have:

Robinson

Samba

Nelsen

Warnock

Emerton

Mccarthy

Diouf

Of these Nelsen and McCarthy have been worryingly inconsistent in the last couple of seasons and of the others Samba is the only young player with re-sale value. This means we must be carrying more dead weight than any club in the premiership. Would anyone mind if anyone not on that list left this summer?

I would keep Dunny too,but only if we had adequate cover in central midfield.Other than that the list is quite frightening when you think there are only 7 players worth keeping at the entire club,and keeping McCarthy is debatable at times. :wacko:

Sorry if this has been discussed at length elsewhere but I think this is a different and worthwhile question rather than who we should be buying. Who in the current squad is up to it? To my mind we have:

Robinson

Samba

Nelsen

Warnock

Emerton

Mccarthy

Diouf

Of these Nelsen and McCarthy have been worryingly inconsistent in the last couple of seasons and of the others Samba is the only young player with re-sale value. This means we must be carrying more dead weight than any club in the premiership. Would anyone mind if anyone not on that list left this summer?

Pedersen has shown massive improvement recently. Zurab and Andrews are capable deputies. Bunn is rated. I certainly wouldn't give Dunn, Grella or Roberts away although we should be able to do better.

Only player I would force out the door is Mokoena.

Guest benmaxwell

- Paul Robinson

- Stephen Warnock

- Christopher Samba

- Ryan Nelsen

- Brett Emerton

- David Dunn

- Benni McCarthy

- Vince Grella (dependent of fitness)

- Morten Gamst Pedersen

- Zurab Khizanishvili

- Steven Reid (very dependent on fitness)

- Keith Andrews

- El Hadji Diouf

- Gaël Givet

- Jason Roberts

- Mark Bunn

- Aaron Doran

- Andy Haworth

- Matt Derbyshire

- Frank Fielding (for future)

- David Hoilett

- Nick Blackman

- Paul Robinson

- Stephen Warnock

- Christopher Samba

- Ryan Nelsen

- Brett Emerton

- David Dunn

- Benni McCarthy

- Vince Grella (dependent of fitness)

- Morten Gamst Pedersen

- Zurab Khizanishvili

- Steven Reid (will never be good enough again - transfer for a fee)

- Keith Andrews (put on transfer list for a fee)

- El Hadji Diouf

- Gaël Givet

- Jason Roberts

- Mark Bunn

- Aaron Doran

- Andy Haworth

- Matt Derbyshire (put on transfer list for a fee)

- Frank Fielding (for future)

- David Hoilett

- Nick Blackman

- Roque Santa Cruz (unless an offer over £15mil received)

Guest benmaxwell
- Keith Andrews (put on transfer list for a fee) WHY??

- Matt Derbyshire (put on transfer list for a fee) WHY??

- Paul Robinson (ONLY IF WE CAN'T GET KAMENI ON A FREE)

- Stephen Warnock (WOULD TRY TO KEEP BUT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY BE LEAVING)

- Christopher Samba (AGAIN, WOULD TRY TO KEEP BUT MIGHT WELL LEAVE)

- Ryan Nelsen (STAYING)

- Brett Emerton (STAYING)

- David Dunn (ONE LAST CHANCE TO PROVE HIS FITNESS)

- Benni McCarthy (KEEP - SO LONG AS HE REMAINS UNDER A CERTAIN WEIGHT!)

- Vince Grella (STAYING)

- Morten Gamst Pedersen (HAS SHOWN SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT, BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH - CASH IN)

- Zurab Khizanishvili (KEEP - DECENT SQUAD PLAYER)

- Steven Reid (GET RID)

- Keith Andrews (SQUAD PLAYER)

- El Hadji Diouf (STAYING)

- Gaël Givet (BUY AT ALL COSTS)

- Jason Roberts (KEEP BUT SHOULD ONLY BE BACKUP)

- Mark Bunn (STAYING)

- Matt Derbyshire (GIVE ONE LAST CHANCE TO PROVE HE'S UP TO THE PREM, OR CASH IN? NOT SURE ....)

I've excluded the younger players as I think they'll be staying anyway, and Roque who undoubtedly is on his way ....

Grella is difficult because he hasnt had a consistent run in the side yet. Il reserve judgement on him until next season.

Id get rid of the following:

Going - Tugay, Mokoena, Ooijer

To join them - Gally, Rigters, Bunn, RSC, Brown, Judge (If not viewed as good enough)

Consider options if any good offers receieved for - Pedersen, Andrews, Warnock or Nelsen

• Backroom

Hmm, of people in the squad I'd keep...

Robbo - obviously. No need to replace something that isn't broken (and by all means is getting better as time goes on).

Bunn - potential. Solid back-up.

Nelsen/Samba - best DC pairing we've had in a long time. Nelsen's looked far better since Givet's been in the squad.

Givet - solid.

Emerton - no brainer.

Zurab - good cover.

MGP - we have other areas of the squad that need addressing before we look at Gamst.

Grella - we're never going to get the 4M back that we paid for him, he deserves a chance at a full season.

Dunn - should ideally be offered a pay as you play contract. Can be a difference maker when fit.

Judge - potential.

Diouf - hard worker, extremely versatile.

McCarthy - has undoubted quality, may not run much but is a match-winner.

Roberts Decent back-up striker.

Players I'd sell if we got good enough offers...

Warnock - troublemaker, thinks he should be at a better club. Givet will make up for his sale.

Andrews - only sell if we can recoup roughly what we paid or him. Otherwise a good squad player.

Reid - too unreliable on the injury-front, no idea if he'll ever get back on form.

Derbs - as much as we'd all like him to be, he's not premiership standard.

RSC - the sooner he leaves the better.

Any others I've missed out I'd likely be happy to sell. Toogs should be given a coaching role.

- Paul Robinson

- Stephen Warnock (I really really hope he stays)

- Christopher Samba (same)

- Ryan Nelsen

- Brett Emerton

- David Dunn

- Benni McCarthy

- Vince Grella

- Zurab Khizanishvili

- El Hadji Diouf

- Gaël Givet

- Jason Roberts

- Mark Bunn

- Matt Derbyshire (He's a local and he's a fan of the club. I like to have players for whom the club actually means something besides a paycheck)

- Santa Cruz (Unless we can get 15m+)

Reply to Benmaxwell.

Because experience has shown that they are not Premier League standard but should command a fee from a lower league club. :rolleyes:

Players I'd sell if we got good enough offers...

Warnock - troublemaker, thinks he should be at a better club. Givet will make up for his sale.

:lol: Funny you should say that... iv heard something very much along those lines.

I agree and am personally and strongly of the opinion that any of the players, no matter how good, should be shipped out if they believe that they are bigger than the team.

I'd much rather have a team of less technically gifted but commited players who play their hearts out, week in, week out, than a bunch of arrogant and bombastic prima donnas.

RSC and Warnock could bring quite a few pennies in. Good riddance. Enjoy the bench, fellas.

I'm amazed people have Grella down to stay - for how much he cost(s) he's been a awful signing.

Get rid quick if at all possible.

Eh. Can you see us recouping the £4m we spent on him? He's shown he can be an efficient holding midfielder, fitness permitting. He needs another season to prove himself.

And guess where we'll end up if we always ship out players who think they are too good for us? On the downward slide to the lower divisions. Givet is not a replacement for Warnock. He's a utility defender in that he can play left back and centre back. We'd still need a decent left back if we sold Warnock. If he is genuinely stirring things behind the scenes then there might be a case for selling him but only if he can be replaced. You don't notice any trouble making on the pitch. The guy would seem to be doing much as Lucas Neill did - working on the pitch while he is our player and I for one can't fault his efforts. Allardyce may have to use his much vaunted man mangagement skills here if we can't get a decent replacement and persuade Warnock that this is the best place for him, becausjust to put Givet into the squad and take Warnock out is suicidal in my opinion. Defenders get injured etc too and unlike others I don't see Martin Olsen as his replacement either.

And guess where we'll end up if we always ship out players who think they are too good for us? On the downward slide to the lower divisions. Givet is not a replacement for Warnock. He's a utility defender in that he can play left back and centre back. We'd still need a decent left back if we sold Warnock. If he is genuinely stirring things behind the scenes then there might be a case for selling him but only if he can be replaced. You don't notice any trouble making on the pitch. The guy would seem to be doing much as Lucas Neill did - working on the pitch while he is our player and I for one can't fault his efforts. Allardyce may have to use his much vaunted man mangagement skills here if we can't get a decent replacement and persuade Warnock that this is the best place for him, because just to put Givet into the squad and take Warnock out is suicidal in my opinion. Defenders get injured etc too and unlike others I don't see Martin Olsen as his replacement either.

Bloody women, always the drama queen.

Suicidal? Come off it, with all due respect to those involved we're talking about replacing one decent left back with another. Our success next season and ongoing wont rest on this and this alone.

Bloody women, always the drama queen.

Suicidal? Come off it, with all due respect to those involved we're talking about replacing one decent left back with another. Our success next season and ongoing wont rest on this and this alone.

OK the word is perhaps over the top but to run with givet and Olsen as our 2 left backs would be running more of a defensive risk than I think we should. If we sell Warnock we need better cover than Olsen would be for our only remaining "left back" who I think is actually better in the centre than being exposed on the left as he was at Stoke the other week. It's opinion I know but I just think there are quite a few people here who say "get rid" too quickly. The manager gets paid for managing his side and that does not simply mean selling off players right, left and centre and not replacing the one on the left.

• Backroom

Givet would be a fine replacement for Warnock. Our only issue would be the need to bring in some decent cover should one of Givet, Samba or Nelsen get injured.

I appreciate Warnock as a talent, but he's not loyal to the cause. Will cause trouble if we refuse to sell to a club he perceives to be "bigger" than us. We should sign Givet, then get a decent amount (7M+) for Warnock and run.

Archived