BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who's Worth Keeping?

Givet would be a fine replacement for Warnock. Our only issue would be the need to bring in some decent cover should one of Givet, Samba or Nelsen get injured.

I appreciate Warnock as a talent, but he's not loyal to the cause. Will cause trouble if we refuse to sell to a club he perceives to be "bigger" than us. We should sign Givet, then get a decent amount (7M+) for Warnock and run.

No, and buy another left back. We would need cover for Givet that is better than Olsen. That's all I'm trying to say. Personally it makes no difference to me whether we sell warnock although I'd like him to stay but you can't just take Givet and assume that's left back covered. It's not. We need more than one player capable of playing in any position. Givet in and Warnock out as a straight swap doesn't give us that. He'd be our only real left back option.

• Backroom
No, and buy another left back. We would need cover for Givet that is better than Olsen. That's all I'm trying to say. Personally it makes no difference to me whether we sell warnock although I'd like him to stay but you can't just take Givet and assume that's left back covered. It's not. We need more than one player capable of playing in any position. Givet in and Warnock out as a straight swap doesn't give us that. He'd be our only real left back option.

Hence why I said we'd need to sign some decent cover in case of injury? If Nelsen/Samba gets injured, I think Sam would be more likely to move Givet into the centre and bring in someone on the left. The only other option would be to bring in Zurab and leave Givet on the left. If Givet got injured we'd be in trouble.

If we sign Givet he won't be happy being back-up, and neither will Warnock. We're not going to play Warnock in midfield if we have better options next season (which we should). I imagine one of them is going to have to go, as neither will be happy as back-up. It'll just be a case of Sam signing an older/up and coming left back to act as cover, I suppose. I don't think Olsson is good enough to rely on.

Players we should keep and be the mainstay of our team:

Givet

Emerton

Benni

Nelsen (post Xmas)

Samba

Warnock

Diouf

Robbo (based on the last couple of months)

Players who we should keep in the squad so not to waste our threadbare resources (and we couldn't get better for what we'd sell them for)

Robbo (pre last couple of months)

Grella

Dunn

Zurab

Andrews

Roberts

Pedersen

Derbyshire

Ooijer - though doubt we will

Players we should get rid of asap

Olsson

Simpson - done

Reid

Santa Cruz

Tracey

Gallacher

Carlos (not worth the transfer fee)

Mokoena

Based on this we'd need a right back, a top class cm, a striker, and possibly another cm or right winger (ideally both but doubt we can afford it) of high quality.

One thing that strikes me as really important is that if we're going to have a squad of 18 stronger players, those who are versatile, like Samba, Givet, Emerton (all of whom are effective in more than one position) are vital if we're to avoid being undone by injuries.

Assuming Ooijer leaves and Givet comes in - then we sold Warnock I'm just wondering who we play

1) At LB if Givet got injured

2) At CB if one of Nelsen or Samba were injured

3) In either position if Givet and one of Nelsen/Samba were injured simultaneously.

I agree and am personally and strongly of the opinion that any of the players, no matter how good, should be shipped out if they believe that they are bigger than the team.

I'd much rather have a team of less technically gifted but commited players who play their hearts out, week in, week out, than a bunch of arrogant and bombastic prima donnas.

RSC and Warnock could bring quite a few pennies in. Good riddance. Enjoy the bench, fellas.

Temper your attitude with the knowledge that any manager would be happy to have the chance to manage the overblown ego's and temperaments of Messrs Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov. On the other hand I'd wager that the Stoke players are easy to manage. but who would you rather support / see in the blue and white shirts?

Unlike the last clown Allardyce is a manager and a leader. If he cannot manage men I'll wager few others can.

Too many computer game players on this MB to have a sensible discussion.

Not too sure where you are getting this from.

Most people are of the concensus that we should trim the squad of the obvious deadwood - e.g. Gally, Olsson, Mokoena - sell rocky to generate some funds, and have acknowledged that whilst players like andrews, peds & grella have been disappointing, realistically they won't be sold as we can't adequately replace them for the money we get for them and that we have more pressing needs in the side.

I'd be suprised if my thoughts aren't roughly along the lines of what Sam is planning - although he probably has a better idea of the incoming targets :P - as if we added the 3/4 to the players I reckon we keep that'd give us a core squad of 18 or so strong players. Realistically Sam may have more reservations about Derbs, and Zurab will probably be off wanting 1st team football, whilst it might be harder to shift one or two players, especially a crock like Reid.

Some people need to engage their brains.

What would be the point of getting rid of Olsson? We won't get a major transfer fee or a real weight off our wage structure. It only makes sense to keep Olsson for another season, preferably loan him out and see if he can develop into a useful squad player or a player of some value for future sale.

The same for Treacy. Loan him out and see if he can boost his value for sale or learn a trick or two to make himself useful at Rovers. (Although, if a gullible chairman came in with any kind of monetary offer, I would not say no to selling the new Keith Gillespie).

BTW: If I read the headline "Mokoena signs new Rovers deal" this summer, I am going to scream like a giantess. You'll hear it, whereever you are.

I couldn't agree more Phillip . £ 7.0 Million for Warnock !! Who's going to pay that ?

spuds full backs: bale 5m meant to rise to 10m, hutton 9m, corluka 8m, gunter 3.5m( now off to forest hes that good?)

everton; baines 6m

newcastle; enrique 6m

back to liverpool hes a million times the player dossena will ever be and he cost 7m

villa have a collection of sub standard dross in the full back positions all costing 4-5m

fair to say a lot of clubs don't see spunking 7m on a full back as an issue

compared to that shower he is a world beater and 7m would be far too cheap...........9m minimum or reject all offers out of hand, he is 27 his transfer value should reflect he is in his prime as a footballer.

Some people need to engage their brains.

What would be the point of getting rid of Olsson?

a. he is a terrible footballer, an absolute liability, danny simpson in disguise

b. its very clear he ain't a rough diamond, just rough

c. 5k per week, or whatever he is on is better spent on a new sports scientist, more prozone, better sub chairs, headset for sam, ....a better prospect.

on the issue of selling warnock, put it this way.....HELL NO!!! Buy a RB, a CB and 2 strikers to replace santa and derbs and we'll be reet!!

-------------Robbo---------------

New RB, Samba, Nelsen, Givet

Spit, Bert, Warnock, Peders (or new LM)

Any Combo of strikers

WATCHA THINK???

Keep grella (he's lookin better since hes got fit), andrews (good squad player) and perhaps reid (unlikely) will gain fitness as will dunny. It may seem a crud idea, but i'm thinking if we dont have adequate funds. This is worst case scenario stuff (ie: rovers sell satnav cruise for a crap fee)

Personally I'd listen to any serious offers for any of the squad with the exception of big Chris Samba with the aim at replacing four or five of them. Any more than that then we are looking at major reconstruction and as such we can expect another experinece like this season.

Once the players which are already off , Ooijer, Mokoena, Tugay off the wage bill we will still be stuck with sicknotes like Reid and Dunn who need shifting. I've said before that these two are just a drain on wages that Rovers cannot afford.

Out of the youngsters it seems that Sam only rates Howarth and Doran so I'd be willing to let the rest go cheaply with large sell on clauses as Arsenal do. Let somebody else spend money in the vain hope of developing them.

I think majority of the squad will stay. Roque, Mokoena,brown,Ooijer and Reid(if he cant get fit) might go. I cant see too many wholesale changes by Sam, because the money to do that is not available to him. I think there will be 4 or 5 leaving the squad and maybe 4 to 6 quality additions. If we can get in a quality right back, 2 good creative midfielders, Givet to sign permanently and maybe 2 more strikers then we will be a solid team again.

It amazes me that football supporters of this club think they can safely assume that the highly paid, highly equipped and computer literate management, fitness and scouting teams at top league clubs in this country, Spain, Italy, France and Germany and elsewhere

- cannot detect that a Rovers player has had injuries

- do not know who Blackburn Rovers are

- will pay a fraction to Rovers of a sum an equivalent player has been sold for elsewhere

and various other such assumptions that have appeared in thisand other threads etc etc...

Off the top of my head.......

Keep:

Robinson

Bunn

(a 'young keeper', Bussman, or Fielding)

Nelsen

Samba

Warnock

Zurab

Olsson

Emerton

Andrews

Judge

Grella

Pedersen

Benni

Think about selling:

'Young keeper' (whichever is worst out of Bussman and Fielding)

Dunn (depends on fitness)

Reid (see above)

Derbyshire

Definately leave:

Brown

Mokoena

loan out:

Treacy

Gunning

'Young keeper'

It amazes me that football supporters of this club think they can safely assume that the highly paid, highly equipped and computer literate management, fitness and scouting teams at top league clubs in this country, Spain, Italy, France and Germany and elsewhere

- cannot detect that a Rovers player has had injuries

- do not know who Blackburn Rovers are

- will pay a fraction to Rovers of a sum an equivalent player has been sold for elsewhere

and various other such assumptions that have appeared in thisand other threads etc etc...

Name one message board, where fans of BRFC look at it any differently? What the fans want is not always what the fans get, we know that. Every club has fans who want their management to sign certain players but its not up to the fans now is it?

Archived