BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Kelly Snr.

Some of the older members will have seen Alan Kelly Snr playing for PNE and the ROI, over the years. He died todayof cancer aged 72. Of course he was the father of Alan Kelly, the goalkeeper who played for Rovers in recent years.

Alan Kelly.

He is a PNE legend.

Not a tale about him, but maybe an indication of his longevity in the game...I remember when Alan Jnr was in the nets for Preston I used to watch them a bit. In the proram it used to have a 10 years ago this was the team and we were playing whoever, 20 years ago this was the team and we were playing whoever.

Playing in the nets for PNE was Alan Kelly, 10 years previously it'd been Alan Kelly and 20 years previously it had been...Alan Kelly!

RIP Alan.

He is a PNE legend.

Not a tale about him, but maybe an indication of his longevity in the game...I remember when Alan Jnr was in the nets for Preston I used to watch them a bit. In the proram it used to have a 10 years ago this was the team and we were playing whoever, 20 years ago this was the team and we were playing whoever.

Playing in the nets for PNE was Alan Kelly, 10 years previously it'd been Alan Kelly and 20 years previously it had been...Alan Kelly!

RIP Alan.

Alan Kelly was indeed a legend to the PNE fans. He was the keeper in the 1964 FA cup final when north end lost 3-2 to West Ham. They beat Oxford United [Ron Atkinson included] in the quarter finals, the round after Oxford had beaten us 3-1. PNE went on to beat Swansea 1-0 in the semis, thanks to a freak goal from Tony Singleton, who scored from his own half when he was actually only clearing the ball. Another player from the same era was Willie Cunningham, a left back who captained Scotland in the world cup. Willie trained me when I was playing football - a great guy.

While we're talking PNE, Tom Finney from the same era as Cunningham and Kelly, is my sister-in-law's uncle. I knew Tom's sister Dolly very well. I also know that Tom's health is failing him since his wife died. It's been kept away from the general press, because I'm sure Tom wouldn't want the publicity, but he isn't very well now.

I'm pretty sure after Alan Kelly quit playing, he teamed up with another ex-north ender - Alan Spavin - and opened a couple of sports shops, one of which was in Lancaster.

I remember him very well Den, excellent goalkeeper who was a stalwart for P.N.E. and Eire in the sixties. He probably had more to do with North End getting to Wembley than any other player, he had a good game in the Final as well. It was because they knew Alan was on the way up that they allowed Fred Else to come to Ewood. Maybe we'd have been better off with Kelly. R.I.P. Alan.

I remember him very well Den, excellent goalkeeper who was a stalwart for P.N.E. and Eire in the sixties. He probably had more to do with North End getting to Wembley than any other player,

A young lad called Howard Kendall played well TS.

Youngest ever player in a cup final at 17. I saw him score an absolute belter for PNE against Nottingham Forest at Deepdale in one of the earlier rounds. Got his chance to play in the cup final when north end dropped Ian Davidson for lying about attending a funeral, thus missing the game prior to the final, - so as to stay fit for the final.

A young lad called Howard Kendall played well TS.

Youngest ever player in a cup final at 17. I saw him score an absolute belter for PNE against Nottingham Forest at Deepdale in one of the earlier rounds. Got his chance to play in the cup final when north end dropped Ian Davidson for lying about attending a funeral, thus missing the game prior to the final, - so as to stay fit for the final.

Kendall amazed us all that day, so cool and calm for a 17 yr old, you could see he'd go on to be a top player. I didn't know the truth about the Davidson story Den, it was hushed up at the time, what an idiot he was !

Archived