BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gigs/festivals

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Springsteen was superb last night. Over two and a half hours of his own stuff, sung by him and played by him and his own band with no fannying around with dancing, clever light shows or intercut with pre-recorded nonsense. Some of the crowd seemed a baffled at first but by the end they were eating out of his hand. Music from the heart in a relentless performance by a band whose average age is well over 50. Bloody marvellous stuff.

Springsteen was superb last night. Over two and a half hours of his own stuff, sung by him and played by him and his own band with no fannying around with dancing, clever light shows or intercut with pre-recorded nonsense. Some of the crowd seemed a baffled at first but by the end they were eating out of his hand. Music from the heart in a relentless performance by a band whose average age is well over 50. Bloody marvellous stuff.

Ditto for tonight (except the crowd knew what to expect). Dave Matthews Band was excellent and another (besides Bruce) New Jersey band, Gaslight Anthem were incredible.

Doesn't he play Born in the USA these days? I'm not a major Springsteen fan but I stood through the entire two and a half hours at Glastonbury because I assumed it'd be a good singalong. By about halfway through there was hardly anyone left in the area I was at, which was a fairly good spot, so I reckon there must have been quite a few 'casuals' who got fed up waiting for the hits and walked out. I almost joined them when he said 'this is a song written in 1855'...

I hope that was your Rovers flag I just saw flying in front of the Pyramid stage during the CSN set?

Daughter of some friends saw Springsteen play with the Gaslight Anthems a little earlier. She's got it now!

Nope - I was working at the WaterAid stand just to the left of the stage at the time.

To be honest I cannot see the point of people carrying flags at these big gigs. I can see that they are useful stuck by your tent so that you can find it but why would you stand for what can be hours in front of the stage holding the flag up (the big ones need both hands) for the split second that your mates at home can recognise it (not you of course)?

Anyway, just back from Glastonbury - 6 hours including an hour's stop at the mother-in-laws in Bristol for a shower, which was a damn sight better than the 8 hours with no stop on the way down last Wednesday. Without a bit of creative manoeuvring around the back lanes it would have been a couple more.

Another wonderful weekend. The weather was pretty good - some rain on Friday but the mud had dried up by Saturday lunchtime so I could return to dry weather tyres. Plenty of rain overnight last night so a long slog in the mud back to the car this morning

Springsteen was magnificent - much better than the only other time I've seen him at the MEN some 7/8 years ago. There were a number of other stand-out performances for me - Neil Young, Crosby, Stiils & Nash, Amadou & Mariam (twice yesterday because Manu Dibango had to pull out), Tinariwen, Khaled, Warsaw Village Band and Seun Kuti. I suspect Orchesta Aragon would have been on the list but I missed them as I was working at the time.

But yesterday was a real stand out one for me - chatting to Nick Clegg at the WaterAid stand, shaking Khaled's hand after he had signed a CD for me, spending the afternoon applying temporary tattoos to young girls' body parts but best of all, standing on the Park Stage at 11.00am saying Good Morning Glastonbury to the assembled thousands - well about 100 actually but still it's never something I thought I would ever do.

Yes, the obvious song to play while he is in England....

Being his best and most famous song and the one a lot of the crowd was shouting for, certainly. I wondered if maybe he doesn't play it because it's anti-war and he wants to support the US troops these days or something.

Reminded me of Paul McCartney a few years ago, when I stood through more than two hours of godawful Wings dross, thinking how the hell can this man have had a hand in any Beatles songs, when he turned it all around with Hey Jude right at the end. People were singing it spontaneously all over the site for the rest of the night.

Being his best and most famous song and the one a lot of the crowd was shouting for, certainly. I wondered if maybe he doesn't play it because it's anti-war and he wants to support the US troops these days or something.

Certainly Born in the USA is his most famous song but I'd argue he has written many better, my personal all time favourite being The River though there are so many great songs from that era it's hard to pick one.

I don't know this but I'd guess Springsteen doesn't play Born in the USA precisely because it is his best know song. It's 25 years this month since it was first released though I don't know any longterm Springsteen fans who name it as their personal favourite.

Highlight of Glastonbury without a shadow of a doubt for me was Neil Young. Never seen him and only knew a few of his songs and went with little expectation but he completely blew me (and everyone else who I spoke to) away. Hats off too to Blur who played a storming set of just about all their classics (even including the awful Country House). Great act to round off an excellent, at times muddy and always sweaty few days in Somerset. Back to work tomorrow :(

I`ve got Oasis at Wembley on Thursday. Should be fun.

My other half has never been to a rock concert. The nearest she`s been to one is Stevie Wonder with her mum.

I think i`ll chuck her in the mosh pit......if there is such a thing at an Oasis show??? :huh:

Been to the Oasis show at Wembley.

Suprised to see it wasn`t sold out (although it was a 3rd 'add-on' show, after the 1st two shows had apparently sold out in hours) i`d say 60,000 to 70,000 there.

I was a bit disappointed with the overall occasion to be honest.

Here`s what i thought of the acts....

Reverend & the Makers.....had only heard of them (not heard them) before Wembley. I was mildy impressed with them. They had a good sound for a warm up act & a decent looking girly in the group too. Enjoyed their set :tu:

The Enemy......i had been looking forward to seeing them, but came away disappointed with their act. They had a terrible sound & sounded weak in the guitar dept. The singer bloke was full of energy & anger but it was just a wall of noisy shouty kids at the end of the day :(

Kasabian.....another group i`d heard lots about & wanted to see. They were good but far from being the amazing act everyone bleats on about. The only member of the group with any stage presence is the singer. The rest just stand there. Wembley is a huge stage.....80% of it wasn`t used. I`d give them 7/10......not good enough for a real top group.

Oasis.....had always wanted to see them live. Now i have, i won`t bother again. They played well but were marred once again with bad sound & power cuts. The band lost all sound during Wonderwall & it kept cutting out during their next couple of songs. Noel apologised but jokingly stated "you`re not getting yer effing money back though!" I`d give Oasis another 7/10. Liam amused with his "southern softies" jibes & at the end of the show said "next time bring yer effing mates".....in a jibe at the not selling out of the show. I don`t think it`s the fans faults though. It`s up to Oasis to attract the fans.

.....On an upside, my girlfriend totally loved the whole experience.....seeing as it was her 1st 'proper' concert. Maybe i`m turning into a cynic in my old age.

She asked if i enjoyed the show. I said yes, but i`d seen better. I just can`t wait to take her to watch Muse in Dublin in November.......then she`ll know what a proper top act does for a living!!!! ;)

Just caught some of `T in the park` on BBC3 and have to say the set by The Killers was absolutely breathtaking,they really were outstanding and are definitely on my hitlist to see them if they tour again next year.

Whereas I thought they were incredibly flat compared to other performances! :lol:

U2 in Dublin in 2 weeks.... believe there are also some other brfcs members going as well.

Suprised to see it wasn`t sold out (although it was a 3rd 'add-on' show, after the 1st two shows had apparently sold out in hours) i`d say 60,000 to 70,000 there.

Reverend & the Makers.....had only heard of them (not heard them) before Wembley. I was mildy impressed with them. They had a good sound for a warm up act & a decent looking girly in the group too. Enjoyed their set :tu:

The Enemy......i had been looking forward to seeing them, but came away disappointed with their act. They had a terrible sound & sounded weak in the guitar dept. The singer bloke was full of energy & anger but it was just a wall of noisy shouty kids at the end of the day :(

Kasabian.....another group i`d heard lots about & wanted to see. They were good but far from being the amazing act everyone bleats on about. The only member of the group with any stage presence is the singer. The rest just stand there. Wembley is a huge stage.....80% of it wasn`t used. I`d give them 7/10......not good enough for a real top group.

Oasis.....had always wanted to see them live. Now i have, i won`t bother again. They played well but were marred once again with bad sound & power cuts. The band lost all sound during Wonderwall & it kept cutting out during their next couple of songs. Noel apologised but jokingly stated "you`re not getting yer effing money back though!" I`d give Oasis another 7/10. Liam amused with his "southern softies" jibes & at the end of the show said "next time bring yer effing mates".....in a jibe at the not selling out of the show. I don`t think it`s the fans faults though. It`s up to Oasis to attract the fans.

.....On an upside, my girlfriend totally loved the whole experience.....seeing as it was her 1st 'proper' concert. Maybe i`m turning into a cynic in my old age.

She asked if i enjoyed the show. I said yes, but i`d seen better. I just can`t wait to take her to watch Muse in Dublin in November.......then she`ll know what a proper top act does for a living!!!! ;)

As for Oasis,I`m glad to hear they have learned to play live at last ! I saw them at Knebworth 14 years ago (back in the days when they made decent music!) and they were and still are the worst band I have ever seen live,and I include warm-up acts in that!

I wouldn`t pay Monopoly money to see them again!

I had the honour and pleasure of seeing Ry Cooder for the first time in 14 years in Liverpool last night - still the greatest slide guitarist in the world. His playing was simply breathtaking once again last night. One of the few performers that can bring tears to my eyes.

I'm sure it will be some time before I'll be at a better gig but I have got Laughing Len Cohen on Tuesday night....

I had the honour and pleasure of seeing Ry Cooder for the first time in 14 years in Liverpool last night - still the greatest slide guitarist in the world. His playing was simply breathtaking once again last night. One of the few performers that can bring tears to my eyes.

I'm sure it will be some time before I'll be at a better gig but I have got Laughing Len Cohen on Tuesday night....

Did he shout "Weeeeeeee!!!" every time he went down it? :rolleyes:

Im going to see Muse in November - yep your right show her a proper live band do !

I saw Reverend & The Makers the weekend before last at the Beat Herder festival near Gisburn, first I've really heard of them, and really enjoyed them. They headlined on Friday night and really had the crowd going, slightly smaller setting than Wembley though!

Last night I saw the Eagles at the MEN. They were great, sounded fantastic, and Joe Walsh is a brilliant guitarist.

A complete and utterly stunning performance from Springsteen last night in Glasgow. It really is impossible to find words to describe it. The River, my all time favourite, was sung with such passion and emotion there was hardly a dry eye in the stadium. I felt drained at the end. The band simply went on and on, every time we thought it was over Bruce strapped on another guitar and played on till 11.00pm.

You never see anything but smiles at a Springsteen concert. Three hours of the finest live rock and roll band in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to the Green Man festival in Wales in 3 weeks, I can't bloody wait, so many great bands/acts I want to see.

Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Four Tet, Jarvis Cocker, Camera Obscura, Wilco, British Sea Power, Gang Gang Dance, The Leisure Society...I'm sure I'll discover some great new bands as well.

Has anyone ever been to Green Man before? This'll be my first trip so any tips from experience would be great.

Archived