BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

If we're thinking of creativity in midfield, then two words: Andres D'Alessandro. Quick feet, great set-play, and experience in the PL having helped guide Pompey to safety in 2006. Currently playing in Brazil.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gone: Oojer, Mokoena, Tugay, Villanueva

Going: Santa, Gallagher, Kishi, Derbyshire

Too injured: Reid, Dunn, Emerton (maybe), Roberts

Too fat/old/slow: McCarthy.

Useless: Grella, Pedersen, Andrews, Ollson, Treacy

So that's 18 out.

We need 3 forwards, 2 centre mid, a right back and a left midfielder. Not to mention 4-5 fall backs.

And we need players that play, not "Duffs/Dunns/Reids/Warhursts".

I think we need to go down the power/pace/height route (so no "Villanuevas/Sellars's/Johnny Prices".

Actually i'd kill to have Sellars back.

Good luck Sam.

Did you not see the games he played in the PL? He was rubbish! You say he's destined for a Big Club, why the hell would Barca sell him then if he was that good?

He's just another player that had the hype.

Complete nonsense, he was a massive prospect at 17-18 at Barca, when Ronaldinho came out and said that Dos Santos is the best Barca player- in front of him, he has /had Ronaldinho (3 times world player of the year), Messi (will be 2009 world player of the year), Eto'o (one of the best strikers in the world), in front of him, amongst others.

The boy is a top prospect, did you see Henry in his first season at Arsenal? Santos played in a struggling Spurs side (SIX times) which was bottom of the table, cut him some slack, I would snap him up like a shot!

• Backroom

He's got a good shot on him and can pick out some excellent passes... but I still think his best position is the wing. He's great at cutting inside and getting into the box.

I think Santos is one of those players who finds it difficult to find a position in the English game, as it is fairly rigid in its formations. Would I be right in saying he may be useful in a Paul Scholes or Teddy Sheringham role?

He's quick so I think he would adapt well to playing as a wide striker. I think he'd be an improvement on either Pedersen or Diouf in that position. He'd probably play very well in a Sheringham type role as well.

Someone compared him to Villanueva before, which is a tad unfair. Villanueva might adjust to the physical side of the English game but he'll never be quick or strong, and that puts him at a huge disadvantage. Dos Santos does have some of the required physical attributes (notably pace) which means he could be excellent if/when he adjusts. He seems the perfect player to 'do a Bentley' with - i.e. buy cheap, improve and sell on for massive profit.

Complete nonsense, he was a massive prospect at 17-18 at Barca, when Ronaldinho came out and said that Dos Santos is the best Barca player- in front of him, he has /had Ronaldinho (3 times world player of the year), Messi (will be 2009 world player of the year), Eto'o (one of the best strikers in the world), in front of him, amongst others.

The boy is a top prospect, did you see Henry in his first season at Arsenal? Santos played in a struggling Spurs side (SIX times) which was bottom of the table, cut him some slack, I would snap him up like a shot!

WAS a massive prospect but isn't. Francis Jeffers was meant to be the next Ruud Van Nistelrooy what happened to him?

Barcelona sold Ronaldinho, and if he was a massive prospect, they would have kept him as his replacement, but they didn't.

As for Spurs, it's the special players that make the difference in a team, look a Ronaldo, Berbatov, Torres. He ain't made no difference as of yet. Henry had the potential, in his first season at Arsenal, he was no where near as poor as Santos has been.

Like I said, he's similar to Villanueva, both of them won't make it in the PL. You saw how well Carlos played VS Grimsby and then how he played VS Chelsea. Big step up in quality, and one none of them are capable of taking.

WAS a massive prospect but isn't. Francis Jeffers was meant to be the next Ruud Van Nistelrooy what happened to him?

Barcelona sold Ronaldinho, and if he was a massive prospect, they would have kept him as his replacement, but they didn't.

As for Spurs, it's the special players that make the difference in a team, look a Ronaldo, Berbatov, Torres. He ain't made no difference as of yet. Henry had the potential, in his first season at Arsenal, he was no where near as poor as Santos has been.

Like I said, he's similar to Villanueva, both of them won't make it in the PL. You saw how well Carlos played VS Grimsby and then how he played VS Chelsea. Big step up in quality, and one none of them are capable of taking.

Nonsense. You have based this assumption on the following two facts:

He was sold by Barca

He didn't "shine" under Harry Redknapp in a struggling Spurs team.

Neither of those facts mean he won't ever be a success in the Premiership. I guess we can only wait and see.

Carlos was signed as a 23 year old playing for a small Chilean team, Dos Santos was snapped up by Barcelona as a 16 year old.

The only similarity they have is that they are both South American. I assume you are discounting all young South American's because Carlos didn't make the step up.

Jesus, talk about not giving the lad any benefit of the doubt at all, he's only 20 and he's got more pace than Villanueva, so I don't think it's a completely fair comparison.

Giovanni might make it. He might not make it. There's only one chance to find out - the question is whether we want to be the team to take that gamble. I haven't seen him enough to make that call.

Good news if true, though i'm struggling to see where he will play next season especially if its true that Warnock is staying. Perhaps we are going to play five at the back?

Absolutely no chance! I've never seen an Allardyce team play that way, I can't see why he'd start now. We'll also hopefully end up with 6 or 7 good midfielders, doesn't mean they'll all play at once though.

We need more than 4 good defenders. Nelsen will inevitably spend some games out injured and Warnock will probably play some of his games in midfield. I suspect we'll see Samba up front in times of desperation too.

I would say he is probably going to play in the same position as he has played since joining us on loan and be a regular starter.

Picture of the stoke player is even less flattering he seems to have a some sort of growth coming out of his head.

I think I might have an idea who Nicko's target is but I'm not going to say his name for obvious reasons!

Absolutely no chance! I've never seen an Allardyce team play that way, I can't see why he'd start now. We'll also hopefully end up with 6 or 7 good midfielders, doesn't mean they'll all play at once though.

We need more than 4 good defenders. Nelsen will inevitably spend some games out injured and Warnock will probably play some of his games in midfield. I suspect we'll see Samba up front in times of desperation too.

I was thinking that myself.

He's been very decent on loan, but Samba for me has to start in defense when everyone is fully fit so that leaves just one centre back position open in a 4-4-2 formation. Nelsen has been superb since Sam has come in, back to his best and he is a proven leader on the pitch.

Its going to be interesting to see what Sam does and whether or not he can keep everyone happy.

Eddie, is Modeste M'bami any good?

He is, yes. He's better than anything we have in central midfield at the moment and is probably well suited to the fast and physical nature of the premiership. I still think he would need a better partner in central midfield in order to really be effective, but he would be an improvement. He's still a bit raw and there's room for quite a bit of development, but he has talent. On a free he'd be a very good signing. It was not surprising when he was linked with Arsenal, he's a very Wengeresque signing, but that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be a success. He'll certainly always retain a decent transfer value though, so it would seem a sensible signing with a large upside and yet still a relatively risk-free move.

He is, yes. He's better than anything we have in central midfield at the moment and is probably well suited to the fast and physical nature of the premiership. I still think he would need a better partner in central midfield in order to really be effective, but he would be an improvement. He's still a bit raw and there's room for quite a bit of development, but he has talent. On a free he'd be a very good signing. It was not surprising when he was linked with Arsenal, he's a very Wengeresque signing, but that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be a success. He'll certainly always retain a decent transfer value though, so it would seem a sensible signing with a large upside and yet still a relatively risk-free move.

That wouldn't be too hard really. Hope he does come in if he's as good as you say.

Modeste M'bami wants move to England, us and Everton are apparently interested: http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,1952...5349339,00.html

Where is the everton link? i can only see fulham and birmingham interested.

Gael Givet might help him come over here. He looks like a good free transfer.

Update: we are linked to Mbia and M'bami on sky sports :lol: confusing.....

I think Santos is one of those players who finds it difficult to find a position in the English game, as it is fairly rigid in its formations. Would I be right in saying he may be useful in a Paul Scholes or Teddy Sheringham role?

:blink: Those two have never exactly found it difficult to find a starting spot.

Archived