BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Betting 2009/10

You really reckon Wigan arent good enough to stay up?

Every season a decent quality mid table side loses a good manager and struggles the season after. Last year was our turn, next year could well be Wigans.

Wigan will of lost their 4 best players - Heskey, Palacios, Zaki & Valencia in the last 6 months very soon.

Then Bruce will come back for the likes of Cattermole and maybe Bramble/ Kirkland.

Then anything is possible! Personally I think they will stay up.

If one thing last season has taught us,it is the fact the premier league is a cruel place for rookie managers.

Therefore contenders for the bottom spots will come from the following:

Coyle: for me another Tony Mowbray,will finish in the bottom 3 end of

McCarthy: less than 2 years experience in the premier league,i expect them to finish in the bottom 6

Mcleish: plenty of experience from scotland,but not much in England.Depending on who they sign they might have a chance.But i expect it to be close,again bottom 6

Brown:i think last season`s half-time trick at City has been his downfall and i expect them to struggle again.bottom 3 for me.

Martinez (assuming he takes over):no experience in top flight either playing or managing.Bottom 3 for me

Zola:had a good season last year but will the honeymoon period be over? Financial restraints may well see them finish in the bottom 6

It`s incredible that out of the 6 managers mentioned they have less than 5 YEARS top flight managerial experience between them (3 of them were rookie years!)

I will definitely be betting some money against martinez,coyle and brown on a losing accumulator most weeks!

Bolton could also be a team that struggle - its just depends who they sign/ sell?

They got very, very lucky with injuries to thier wafer thin squad last season.

Aye i forgot him! Would also depend on if pompey keep hart and who mackems go for as well.

I think Wigan look a good bet at those odds. They've lost their four best players, an experienced Premier League manager and don't appear to have the resources to replace them like for like. Martinez is unproven at this level and will face a very tough test when he arrives.

I agree with Wigan. I think I put earlier on this thread that Wigan look vulnerable and with Bruce leaving, they look even more so now. Valencia will leave and so will Zaki. They have got players in their squad who aren't good enough for the Premier League and they're form at the latter end of the season was appalling. Wigan scored the second least amout of goals last season (34) and only Boro scored less. They won three of their last 18 games against Hull, Sunderland and Portsmouth - proving they were already missing their star players who left in January.

Appointing Roberto Martinez is a big risk and one that I believe Wigan can't afford to take.

• 4 weeks later...
Portsmouth at 8/1? I'll be having some of that.

Erm, I feel a bit daft asking this, but does anyone know who I might have placed this bet with? I think there were only two bookies offering 8/1 at the time. I have an account with every single online bookmaker (to take advantage of new customer offers) - I should really have made a note of which one I had used.

Erm, I feel a bit daft asking this, but does anyone know who I might have placed this bet with? I think there were only two bookies offering 8/1 at the time. I have an account with every single online bookmaker (to take advantage of new customer offers) - I should really have made a note of which one I had used.

Chuck, it was 8/1 at Skybet.

Right now i'd say betting on Burnley to go down is throwing money away !

Their downfall will be the small squad but they have the room to improve it would you not say, so Burnley for relegation is just wishful thinking and purely overlooking Rovers current weaknesses.

My sentiments exactly, Burnley will have a geat start, and unlimately stay up finishing in 13th place. I think rovers will also stay up however, in 15th.

Therefore contenders for the bottom spots will come from the following:

Coyle: for me another Tony Mowbray,will finish in the bottom 3 end of

I will definitely be betting some money against martinez,coyle and brown on a losing accumulator most weeks!

Sorry, dont like to say this, but I disagree, I do think Coyle has a bit more about him, the only problem he may have is if the untried premiership players really struggle, but they are going to be a good, young footballing side!!

Ah brilliant Neil, thanks. I'd also managed to forget my username and pin so that was a pain fetching those too.

I'm sure you haven't forgotten, but just to remind you that I actually lent you a tenner to put that one on........

Archived