BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it me or are these games getting worse? A few years ago we had barcelona, then Lazio, a few other decent teams, but it seems our opposition is getting worse, very unattractive to most. This also seems to be reflected in the attendances for these games. But i suppose its our performance that really counts.

is it me or are these games getting worse? A few years ago we had barcelona, then Lazio, a few other decent teams, but it seems our opposition is getting worse, very unattractive to most. This also seems to be reflected in the attendances for these games. But i suppose its our performance that really counts.

I agree it's not very attractive but it's much better in terms of preperation. Some of these games against Espanyol etc in recent seasons were useless. Just a bunch of soft players constantly diving. At least from the scottish league it will be similar to what we will face in the prem, ok the level is worse but the effort will be the same and they will play more tough football and give us a test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/1487681.stm

Good times.

What a sickener. When I heard a rumour we were playing Hibs I assumed it was at Easter Road and was well looking forward to it. Can't believe that anyone in their right mind would call Hibs "giants". When I tell my Hibs supporting mates they will enjoy the irony in that one. Look forward to a visits from "the casuals" as well.

Have to say I'm a tad disappointed that the final home friendly of the season seems to be becoming a non-event. I think, especially with the fantastic ST prices, that a big friendly could add another dimension of interest to the Blackburn public, and help draw in more people for rovers. I'm not saying it'd do this on it's own, but it could be the final thing/a contributory thing that tips the scales in rovers favour for people moving up a level of commitment.

I've been to a few over the last few seasons, the NZ one and that dutch team, and whilst it's a day out, I haven't really come away with a much better picture of how the team'll do. They've seemed pretty meaningless, even for a friendly, and to be honest, if I didn't now have a car, I'm not sure I'd have been bothered to make all the effort to go see such a non-event game.

Not many people appreciated it at the time but we had such a good team then. Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Cole, Yorke, and Tugay were all extremely capable footballers. In terms of technical ability I would say that side was probably better than the Champions in 1995, although it lacked the solidarity, work rate and, of course, Alan Shearer.

I wonder what would have been if we hadn't signed a turkey in Grabbi, and Jansen hadn't fell off his scooter? If we had upgraded on Flitcroft for a more powerful midfielder, found a left back, and held onto Duff and Berg we would have been a really tremendous side with a shot at CL qualification.

What could have been!

Have to say I'm a tad disappointed that the final home friendly of the season seems to be becoming a non-event. I think, especially with the fantastic ST prices, that a big friendly could add another dimension of interest to the Blackburn public, and help draw in more people for rovers. I'm not saying it'd do this on it's own, but it could be the final thing/a contributory thing that tips the scales in rovers favour for people moving up a level of commitment.

I've been to a few over the last few seasons, the NZ one and that dutch team, and whilst it's a day out, I haven't really come away with a much better picture of how the team'll do. They've seemed pretty meaningless, even for a friendly, and to be honest, if I didn't now have a car, I'm not sure I'd have been bothered to make all the effort to go see such a non-event game.

So on the one hand you say the pre-season games become something of a non-event. And then with the other you say they are pretty meaningless?

They are there for match practice! Blackburn Rovers don't have the luxury of being able to host tournaments or be in the position to pick and choose opposition to play at Ewood, nine times out of ten they pay the opposition to turn up.

You might think the games are crap but if the manager thinks they are ideal preparation then who are we to argue?

Good point. To play teams like Barca and Lazio costs the club a hell of a lot of cash. Not sure how much - does anyone actually know?

To play Hibs would be beneficial to both clubs, good match practice and probably cost the club nothing in hosting.

They're not a bad club - held both Rangers and Celtic at the end of the season and personally would rather be plaing them than the likes of Chievo a few seasons back.

They are there for match practice! Blackburn Rovers don't have the luxury of being able to host tournaments or be in the position to pick and choose opposition to play at Ewood, nine times out of ten they pay the opposition to turn up.

Hope to christ we aren't paying Hibs to turn up!!!!! :lol:

So on the one hand you say the pre-season games become something of a non-event. And then with the other you say they are pretty meaningless?

You might think the games are crap but if the manager thinks they are ideal preparation then who are we to argue?

First off I'm sure Sam has far more experience and if he deems that best practice for us, I'll go along with that.

However, if you read the post I'm not advocating a tournament against Real, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc. I was merely stating that an exciting final pre-season friendly can help build the anticipation and excitement amongst the fans, which given rovers recent efforts would make sense to capitalise on.

Also I'm fairly confident that it'd be better practice for rovers to play against some top quality opposition as well as the easier friendlies we have, as funnily enough we'll play some decent teams in the prem. Rover under Souness didn't do to bad having played Barca and the like, so playing some good teams may well give us a more rounded preparation for the incoming season. I'm fairly confident the weaker teams will help us prepare for the physical side of the game.

Thirdly, money. I wasn't aware of the fact we had to pay, and like many things at rovers this could be a restrictive thing on this area. However, I'd venture playing in front of a substantially smaller crowd against a weaker team may not be much/any better financially than paying more and playing in a fuller stadium against a bigger name team.

the barcelona friendly was cracking. The team also featured both de boers I think, aswell as a newly signed wonderkid saviola.

Just before Hughes came on, some wag from the Jack Walker lower shouted at hughes "ey hughesy, wheres your zimmerframe?", to which hughes turned round and made an impression of him walking with one which was highly amusing.

He then ran on the field and with his first touch scored that wonder volley!

good times indeed :rover:

the barcelona friendly was cracking. The team also featured both de boers I think, aswell as a newly signed wonderkid saviola.

Neither of the De Boers actually played. The Barcelona team that day (12th August 2001) was:

1 Roberto Oscar Bonano

2 Michael Reiziger

4 Patrik Jonas Andersson

6 Xavier Hernandez

8 Philip Cocu

9 Patrick Kluivert

11 Marc Overmars

17 Philippe Charles Lucien Christenval

18 Gabriel Garcia de la Torre

21 Luis Enrique Martinez

22 Deiberson Mauricio Geovanni

Subs: