BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

I agree with the posters above. There is no point being in a competition unless you are in it to win it.

OK we may well fall short and only finish 3rd or 4th but as long as we are really going for it and busting a gut to top the league then that would be good enough IMHO.

Some people here are just to negative in accepting failure......................

Finishing 12th or above represents REALISTIC ambition for our club. But like every non-league club who starts their FA Cup run, we dream of going as far as we can.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having seen Jacobsen early indidcations are if he was that good why would Everton let him go, he didnt look that good against Hibs though alot better than Homer Simpsons lad from Manchester.

Everton wanted to keep Jackobsen but only offered a one year deal. Rovers offered him two. THe question marks were not about his ability but rather his injury record which is pretty bad.

I think, if he stays fit, he will do well enough for us. Offers cover at centreback too.

I can't believe how long our injury list is as the moment. It is really worrying.

Everton wanted to keep Jackobsen but only offered a one year deal. Rovers offered him two. THe question marks were not about his ability but rather his injury record which is pretty bad.

I think, if he stays fit, he will do well enough for us. Offers cover at centreback too.

I can't believe how long our injury list is as the moment. It is really worrying.

Another crock ? O my god, Rovers must have a special list of players with long career injuries, it must be an essential in the recruitment of players.

Have you seen the size of him to play centre half, he doesnt look much bigger than Grella.

If we paid good money for Jerome Rothen at 31-32 years of age how would you feel about that j_b_n.

Pretty sure Jacobsen's "injury record" consists of a shoulder injury that kept him out of the Everton squad for a season... that's hardly "pretty bad". He looked a solid defender in pre-season and is also an "international quality" player, as he is first choice right back for Denmark who have a fairly decent team.

He's not going to be playing at centre half, don't kid yourself. Only way I see him being chosen for that position is if we receive injuries/red cards during a game and have no other choice.

I agree with ParsonBlue's posts but also agree with the people who think we should aspire to a high finishing spot, but let's get real, survival is success.

Trouble is that the league really has changed now. It's always been said that it was three leagues in one but right now the gulf between these three sections has grown enormously. There's no point turning up if we don't expect to win but in reality we only have a puncher's chance at best for many teams. Landing a haymaker is the only thing to hang on to these days.

If our best players stay fit then I'm happy to think that we can land a few surprise shots and accumulate points even from the big boys. Enjoyment will come from a decent average league position and watching good young talent emerge and whet the appetite anticipating future seasons and so on. Being competitive has to be enough right now because we cannot expect to win anything. I'm happy if we just have a right good go and knock the odd team or two over on the way.

The situation we're in now is the dread of every Rovers supporter, injuries. We have no strength in depth and we cannot ever put out a settled side, consequently we turn up expecting to get mullered every match. Without optimism there's no thrill just the dread of being embarrassed.

There's nowt that can be done about this. We have no money and we never will. Our most important people at the club will be the physios and medical staff because building an affordable team is about buying old players and they get injured regularly. I was happy that we would get a good showing this season but right now with the new injuries and the lack of recovery from the old injuries I'm really depressed, not from any of the friendly results (they are about fitness that's all) but by the new blows to the shrinking 'fit list'. Medial ligament is a bad injury, Nelson is not going to be showing up much for us this season which means Givet at center back instead of left back where I think he should be, which means Warnock at left back and not midfield where I believe he was earmarked for.

Midfield yet again looks exposed and there's nowt we can do about it. Success this season and future seasons will depend on injuries, simple as that. We have injuries, we want to aspire to a good season, but we won't have one unless like me you define 'good season' as survival.

Pretty sure Jacobsen's "injury record" consists of a shoulder injury that kept him out of the Everton squad for a season... that's hardly "pretty bad". He looked a solid defender in pre-season and is also an "international quality" player, as he is first choice right back for Denmark who have a fairly decent team.

He's not going to be playing at centre half, don't kid yourself. Only way I see him being chosen for that position is if we receive injuries/red cards during a game and have no other choice.

Unfortunately with a dislocated shoulder, it is likely to re occur, just one challenge from the wrong angle and out it will pop!!

If they are still quality fine, problem with Rothen is he isnt quality.

Wait till you see him. You are going on one poster's opinion, Eddie's. I will be making my own mind up as much as I respect Eddie's judgement.

Personally I know Rothen is a fine passer of the ball. I am interested to see how Sam fits him into the team as I don't think he will be playing left wing.

I don't think we are going to pay more than half a million for Rothen. THe reason it has dragged on for so long seems to be we are trying to get him in for free.

Wait till you see him. You are going on one poster's opinion, Eddie's. I will be making my own mind up as much as I respect Eddie's judgement.

Personally I know Rothen is a fine passer of the ball. I am interested to see how Sam fits him into the team as I don't think he will be playing left wing.

I don't think we are going to pay more than half a million for Rothen. THe reason it has dragged on for so long seems to be we are trying to get him in for free.

Big Sams summer gambles with unproven youngsters doesnt allow him any more leeway to take on anymore players who are unfamiliar with the premeier league. Now Sam has to bring in proven premiership quality not ageing foreigners if the balance of the team/squad is to avoid disaster this season.

Sadly that is so true. Would hate for this to be a reoccurring thing.

There is a surgical procedure which can prevent this from happening, which involves "pinning back the muscle" or something like that... I'm no authority on the subject (clearly!) but a friend of mine who has twice suffered a dislocated shoulder is looking into it.

There is a surgical procedure which can prevent this from happening, which involves "pinning back the muscle" or something like that... I'm no authority on the subject (clearly!) but a friend of mine who has twice suffered a dislocated shoulder is looking into it.

It must be relatively new, Bryan Robson did his three times!!!

The shoulder is a ball and socket joint and I dont think the muscle would have a great deal to do with it, unlike a hip joint (also a ball and socket) a shoulder can re dislocate, its a nasty and awkward one!

Anyone else just not fussed about this season (other than Waggy) maybe its because the Ashes is still on (useless gets) or I'm still coming down from the Lions Tour, or the fact the season only finished last week it seems, but I have great sense of 'meh' and 'pfft' about Saturday. I'm sure it'll be changed by Saturday evening. But at present my 'give a toss meter' is at 'dont give a'

Anyone else just not fussed about this season (other than Waggy) maybe its because the Ashes is still on (useless gets) or I'm still coming down from the Lions Tour, or the fact the season only finished last week it seems, but I have great sense of 'meh' and 'pfft' about Saturday. I'm sure it'll be changed by Saturday evening. But at present my 'give a toss meter' is at 'dont give a'

You are a strange fellow Flopsy. I can't wait to see the lads back in action.

Its a massive, massive game on saturday, plenty of interest here in Blackburn. Its one were we, Rovers are definitely the underdogs against City, what a wonderful feeling for Blackburn Rovers to be underdogs to Man City with our history against City.

Come saturday the town will be buzzing, providing the lads dont do a Norwich, the fans will certainly get behind the team.

Big Sams summer gambles with unproven youngsters doesnt allow him any more leeway to take on anymore players who are unfamiliar with the premeier league. Now Sam has to bring in proven premiership quality not ageing foreigners if the balance of the team/squad is to avoid disaster this season.

We literally do not have the cash for that. A "proven premiership player" costs three or four million minimum. And thats if you sign them after they are bloody relegated. Probs best you could get for one or two is Alan Smith. If you're lucky. He is no longer in the premiership. Viduka is free?

Its simply not an option for us. Last "premiership proven" purchase for Rovers was probably Michael Gray. And he was thirty at the time. Or what about Matteo.... goodness!

One time 'proven' did work for us it was Andy Cole. He cost seven million quid seven years ago.

You are going to need to involve a bit of realism with your thinking.

I'm excited and interested. A proper 'revolving door' summer, different team, two genuine exciting talents in Kalanic and Di Santo signed. A good defence. A complete lack of any idea about how we are going to play. Hoilett looks like he could make a breakthrough. NZonzi has something about him too.

Midfield is tragic. Which is a bit of a downer. But Sam is up to something I think.

Plus the league as a whole is a bit of a different shape. Citeh and Real have rocked the boat. All the top teams are weaker (although still stronger than everyone else). It is all a bit unpredictable.

The muscle in reference is the labrum, and while the procedure you're talking about is somewhat accurate in description, it is not a guarantee against the injury occurring again. It just allows the stabilization of the joint in order to be able to build up more muscle around it and keep it from happening again.

It must be relatively new, Bryan Robson did his three times!!!

The shoulder is a ball and socket joint and I dont think the muscle would have a great deal to do with it, unlike a hip joint (also a ball and socket) a shoulder can re dislocate, its a nasty and awkward one!

The labrum is like a bubble around the ball and socket, keeping it tight and in place. When this tears the arm is more susceptible to dislocation.

The Ashes and certainly the Lions Tour are merely there to make the summer pass just that little bit quicker!

The only evidence I have is just a gut instinct having watched both first team and reserve team pre-season. The big plus for us this season is the manager. It might not be pretty, and no doubt there will be plenty of moans and groans on this messageboard, but I genuinely believe that Big Sam will keep us up. On the evidence of last season he is able to squeeze out results when it matters.

There is a new factor to be taken into account this season. The club has taken a big gamble by reducing the season ticket prices. There will be 5500+ new ST holders.............. a fantastic achievement and there should be a wonderful atmosphere at most of the games. But now the team has to deliver.........the stalwarts on this board may tolerate "grind 'em out" results but it won't build a solid fan base of new recruits.

In the recent past, JW has appealed to the fans to turn up to the crucial games at Ewood and often the performance has been dire. This time it has to be different and I think that everyone at the club appreciates that.

As always, I remain optimistic - I think Sam will do the business and we will see some good stuff (sometimes). I think he is pragmatic but I also think that he has something to prove. He wants the world to know that he is one of the best. I see that he has been repeating his view that he was the right man for the England job. This still burns him and he needs to succeed here to ram home his point.

Let's hope he gets it right!

I'm with you all the way Flopsy.

I'm not really bothered about the new season, I've not been bothered for a while now, European football apart. My son enjoys the experience and that ensures I keep going, but I think a mixture of no money to challenge and disgusting wages is really starting to grind me down.

But come Saturday night, if we win, I’ll be as happy as the next man/woman.

Archived