• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Baby

Givet it up

Givet it up. Baby

Givet it up.

Nice, maybe change the baby word though, remember us taunting the geordies away to that tune but with Dennis Wise. It was whilst both sets of fans were queing up under the away stand. It was very catchy but didn't go down well with the barcode fans lol.

Delighted with this signing - I thought he was excellent at the end of last season. Some will no doubt feel that the money should be used elsewhere but when you see Brum signing Championship defenders for £5 + million you understand just how good a bit of Business signing Gael is for £3.5 million.

I feel exactly the same. It is a very good signing, especially since we know that he can perform at this level through last years loan spell. Birmingham are taking a massive gamble in paying 5 million for an unproven Premier League player in Roger Johnson, so the capture of Givet is an excellent signing in comparison.

I feel exactly the same. It is a very good signing, especially since we know that he can perform at this level through last years loan spell. Birmingham are taking a massive gamble in paying 5 million for an unproven Premier League player in Roger Johnson, so the capture of Givet is an excellent signing in comparison.

Just so nobody can accuse me of always being negative, i too am very pleased with this signing and even though we've known for a while it was going to happen it's always nice when the i's are dotted and the t's crosseda nd it's actually happened.

Hoping it's not another Gresko scenario. Pretty good whilst on loan, pants once permanently signed.

I was thinking the same thing, as it also happened with Michael Gray. Both him and Gresko looked good players during their loan spells but were really poor and dropped after signing permanently.

I believe Givet will be different and will prove to be a good signing for Rovers. You don't make 13 international appearances for France and play for a side like Marseille if you are no good. Gresko and Gray came from two very different backgrounds in terms of previous clubs, so I believe Givet will be a success.

Well I thought the deal was done anyway but glad to know it's now an official.

I believe the fee was somewhere around 3.5m which is a great bit of business for someone who has at least 5 years left at the top hopefully.

I believe he showed himself to be as good as Nelsen and Samba this year, it'll certainly be interesting to see who plays where next year. It certainly gives us a lot of options with the likes of Givet at center back or left back and then Warnock with the chance to go into midfield or even Samba to go upfront if needed again.

It's almost a replacement for Ooijer as someone who can play centerback but also at fullback, now all we need is a right back!

I loved Givet's attitute last year, he looked like an almost typical english defender, strong willed, full of grit and determination, never stopped trying and loved to go in for a tackle. I think we've got ourselves a bargain here, a year or so ago before his failed move to Marseille he was regarded as a top player and would have cost a lot more.

Welcome Mr Givet!

This will probably be the best signing we make all summer, I think he's that good.

Delighted with this signing - I thought he was excellent at the end of last season. Some will no doubt feel that the money should be used elsewhere but when you see Brum signing Championship defenders for £5 + million you understand just how good a bit of Business signing Gael is for £3.5 million.

Agree - my sentiments exactly. Quality player at a bargain price. Right age as well, will get 3/4 years out of him with some resale value (although I hope he stays for a long time), and if he stays on beyond that - it'll be a steal having someone of that quality for so long for a mere 3.5 million.

Hoping it's not another Gresko scenario. Pretty good whilst on loan, pants once permanently signed.

Gresko got injured either early on in his perminent deal or late on in his loan and was never the same player since. Can't see us having the same issues with Givet.

Add in his versitility and it gives us an option of using several players in other positions if needed, this is an exceptional piece of business.

hi all,

I know a bit off topic I recognise Givet has singed on permanently but Setanta broke it I thought they were in administration everyone from them was to be chopped even saw an ad with our very own T.Sherwood going for the axe can someone please clarify the situation thanks

hi all,

I know a bit off topic I recognise Givet has singed on permanently but Setanta broke it I thought they were in administration everyone from them was to be chopped even saw an ad with our very own T.Sherwood going for the axe can someone please clarify the situation thanks

I assume you are referring to the Setanta story at the start of this thread? The story was from late May, before they went under.

For the record, only Setanta UK has gone. They still operate in Ireland, Australia and the US (and likely elsewhere).

Archived