BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gael Givet Signs

Hoping it's not another Gresko scenario. Pretty good whilst on loan, pants once permanently signed.

Could also be a Bentley scenario. Pretty good whilst on loan, our best outfield player once permanently signed.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pleased with the signing. When he first came and was playing at left back I just didn't notice him - perhaps not a bad attribute for a defender. Later on I saw him play centre back against Mido and Crouch. I was sitting behind the goal and had a good view of him. I was quite nervous as these were really big games for us but I was mightly impressed. There is not a striker in the premierrship who will have an easy time against him and some will get no change what so ever. As my son pointed out the price is a snip. There are central defenders going for more than twice the price that I dont think are as good as him. As you can see I have gone from indifferent to a big admirer in a very short time.

The thing with Givet is he reads the game well and is where heshould be all the time, I saw some excellent last minute interceptions where his awareness

took him into a position others hadnt seen, however, with Zonal defending things are different to the days of marking individual players!

Gresko got injured either early on in his perminent deal or late on in his loan and was never the same player since. Can't see us having the same issues with Givet.

Add in his versitility and it gives us an option of using several players in other positions if needed, this is an exceptional piece of business.

Now I know why I'm still here - to be the official Gresko Myth Dispeller.

Gresko was not a genius who turned into a cretin who could not mark a an opposition player, preferring instead to try to rip his shirt off due to Danny Mills, the injury or some mysterious curse released when he signed a permanent contract.

Ask anyone who knew what he was like in Italy and they will tell you that he was okay but quickly got found out and then, after some calamitous mistakes, was virtually an untouchable - loitering in Parma's reserves.

Whilst he did well for us, at first, he joined a team that was picking form and was being spear-headed by an outstanding Damien Duff. By contrast to Nils Eric Johansson, it was inevitable that the first left back who could keep his footing would be hailed a hero.

Gresko was like Jon Stead. Not particularly good but had a purple patch.

Givet, on the other hand, looks a genuinely good player whose career has stuttered, not capitulated, as Gresko's had, pre-Rovers.

I think you'll find that Givet will be between Gresko and Bentley. I think he played just about as well as he can during his 6 months on loan, but isn't going to fall apart like Gresko did. He's not the world class defender some on here seem to make him out to be, but he'll do his job. He's a good signing, especially with his ability to fill in at left back if needed (if not all that well), but hopefully we haven't spent too much of our budget (transfer and wages) on him. 3.5 million and 40k a week is still a lot for a player who was basically unwanted by a team in France.

Class act and you can only be happy when you are adding good quality to the team/squad.

Very pleased with this signing. I hope his form carries on, because he was beginning to look very good in the latter half of the season.

Good signing. Solid backline now set up, now time to concentrate on attackers and a midfielder - VERY impressed with Sam´s business so far.

I think you'll find that Givet will be between Gresko and Bentley. I think he played just about as well as he can during his 6 months on loan, but isn't going to fall apart like Gresko did. He's not the world class defender some on here seem to make him out to be, but he'll do his job. He's a good signing, especially with his ability to fill in at left back if needed (if not all that well), but hopefully we haven't spent too much of our budget (transfer and wages) on him. 3.5 million and 40k a week is still a lot for a player who was basically unwanted by a team in France.

I actually think he could turn out to be one of the Premiership's better defenders with more experience and the key attribute - consistency over a number of years. If he has a similar next three years, at thirty he'll be worth a small fortune.

I loved Givet's attitute last year, he looked like an almost typical english defender, strong willed, full of grit and determination, never stopped trying and loved to go in for a tackle.

Sams very words... He is a Frenchman who plays football like an Englishman.

Do you mean 'a' team in France or 'any' team in France? OK Marseilles have moved on but I bet lots of teams in France would want him but can't match our finances.

Do you mean 'a' team in France or 'any' team in France? OK Marseilles have moved on but I bet lots of teams in France would want him but can't match our finances.

agree with you there. Most teams in France can't afford big signings, and even what we call a modest or average signing is expensive for most of them. Some have cash but not many. It's presumably why allardyce seems to have been looking closely at the French league. Choose carefully and there are players to be picked up who would suit our league and not cost a fortune.

So is he going to replace Nelsen at CB? I hope so, which means we'll need a new captain.

Warnock - Samba - Givet - Jacobsen

Doesn't look that bad, though Warnock needs to improve his defensive game, Samba needs to stop being clumsy and Jacobsen needs to do the job.

So is he going to replace Nelsen at CB? I hope so, which means we'll need a new captain.

Warnock - Samba - Givet - Jacobsen

Doesn't look that bad, though Warnock needs to improve his defensive game, Samba needs to stop being clumsy and Jacobsen needs to do the job.

You've just tore apart our defence that "doesn't look that bad" with ease!

Warnock could get shifted to midfield?

We have an entire transfer window to find proper midfielders, we don't need to play him out of position again. Unless I guess BFS wants to convert him to a full left winger and keep MGP on the bench. But we definitely need someone natural in the center position.

But if we stick with him as LB, someone will need to be dropped and I can only see that being Nelson.

• 2 months later...

Gael's been on the old Ewood emails, he can do it all this lad

From official site:

Gaël, it has to be asked, what made you shave off that pretty magnificent beard and what happened to the long hair? I barely recognised you. By the way, I'm sure I speak for all Rovers fans in saying that we are delighted that you made the move permanent. (Thomas Evans, 25, West Sussex)

Once or twice a year, I decide to cut my hair and I shave my beard - and every time it's the same.

What can you tell us about our new signing Nikola Kalinic and how well do you think he can do in his first season at Rovers? (Michael Jones, 12, Mellor)

I think he's a good player. He's quick and clever. I think he will be very good for Blackburn.

I think you have made a great start to life at Ewood Park Gaël, but what attracted you to the club? (Elliott Morton, 13, Darwen)

Last season, for the last six months, I was very happy to play for Blackburn, because the Premier League is the best championship in the world. The atmosphere in the stadium and the fans are very passionate, so I'm happy with that.

After such a long career in France, was it a difficult decision to come to England and what are the main differences between the two leagues? (Dave Fareham, 27, Chesterfield)

In England, the football is stronger. In France it is more tactical. I think it is harder in England, because in every moment of every game you have to run, jump, tackle. Whereas as in France it is a lot slower. Of course it was difficult to leave, but I wanted to move. I played in France for 10 years and I wanted to see other things. So I think coming to England was the best choice. My English is not very good, but I'm learning!

Which of your team-mates has got the liveliest personality? (Kristian Roberts, Swansea)

Probably Dioufy. He speaks and speaks and speaks, but deep down he is a good person.

In the last Ewood E-males, Diouf said that you were the worst dressed player in the squad. Would you agree with him? (Jamie Moore, 17, Barrow)

Yeah, I think it's true, but I'm ok with that. When I come to training, I don't come in a suit and tie - I just come for the training! I wear what I feel comfortable in, here and at my house with my family. I don't need all those flash things!

Who is your best friend in the Rovers squad? (Martin Janata, 19, Czech Republic)

Because of the language, I'm most friendly with the French players - Chris Samba, Steven Nzonzi and Dioufy, but all of the players are good with me. I think there's a good atmosphere in the team. Everybody works hard for each other.

Gaël, I spent six months living in France as part of my degree course and found many differences between the two countries. What has been the hardest thing to get used to here and what has been the easiest? (Gemma Watson, Blackburn)

The hardest thing has been the language. The easiest thing has probably been the integration into the squad, because all of the players have been very good to me. They always ask if I need anything or if they can help with anything, which is very good.

Who is the best centre-back you have played alongside? (Mark Ashworth, Blackburn)

Philippe Mexes because he has the technique, the tactics, the physique, everything! I played with him in the French team when we were young and he is a good friend.

Would you like to get back into the France team this season? (Alicia Russell, 20, Preston)

For now, I want just one thing and that is to play here and to play well. I want to help Rovers do well and the French team comes second. If I play well here and if we are doing good, then maybe. But now, it's not important. What's important is Blackburn.

Since joining the club, what has been your best moment in a Rovers shirt? (Matty Whawell, Gorleston)

When we won against Portsmouth at home, because that ensured that we would stay in the Premier League, and also Fulham away, because that was very important - and my first goal at Sunderland last weekend.

If you could recommend one of your former team-mates to the club to sign, who would it be and why? Good luck on your Rovers career - you have been a revelation so far and long may it continue! (Babak Golriz, Dubai)

Sebastien Squillaci, who plays for Sevilla. Because he is my best friend and a very, very good player. He is a centre half as well.

Other than Gaël Givet, what has Blackburn got that Marseille hasn't? (Michael Howarth, Blackburn)

Excellent training facilities...and the rain!

We didn't see much of you on TV when you first joined the club, as I believe you weren't very comfortable speaking English in front of the cameras. How have the club helped you to improve? (Andre Nel, Marseille)

The club and players have been a big help. When they speak with me, they will say 'it's not this word, it's this word' and things like that. I also have lessons once or twice a week and now my teacher is my friend. She is French and sometimes we go to a restaurant with my wife and her husband, who is English and who speaks only English, so I'm able to progress.

The best CB he's played with is Mexes and if you ask him a team mate we should buy it would be CB Squillaci, obviously doesn't rate Samba or Nelsen haha, don't take that literally!

I love this guy, yes real man love which is perfectly fine as he has a girls name. I think he's our best defender, probably the best we've had since....(Thinks way back), Hendry?? Not that I don't rate Samba and the admiral etc, just that Givet is class. Also he looks mean, I reckon he'd go 12 rounds with Salgado and it would be messy.

Archived