BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

A lot of sentimental guff on this thread imo.

Why should Rovers help Stanley out? They're a rival for local support albeit on a small scale.

If we hit really hard times ourselves, do you think Liverpool and Man Utd would be queueing up to play a friendly to help us out? Was anyone queueing up to help us in the early 70's when we had gates of 3-4000?

As a few others have said on this thread, if the people of Accy can't be bothered turning out to watch them, it certainly isn't our problem.

We have enough problems of our own trying to survive in the Prem with wantaway owners.

The only way in which it might make sense for us to help them was if they were to become some sort of feeder club for us and for us to send youngsters out to toughen them up, but they're probably at too low a level for that to be viable.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rovers fell on hard times I wouldn't expect rival clubs such as ManU to help us and Rovers would not expect them to either.

Stanley however are not our rivals, never have been and never will be. We do not compete with them for support. But they are part of the local football fabric and part of English football history and as our nearest league neighbours deserve our support.

Back in the 1960s Southport's (then a league club) main stand burnt to the ground. One of the few clubs to offer assistance was Blackburn Rovers. It's about doing the right thing.

So sentimental yes, but then football is an emotional game.

If Rovers fell on hard times I wouldn't expect rival clubs such as ManU to help us and Rovers would not expect them to either.

Stanley however are not our rivals, never have been and never will be. We do not compete with them for support. But they are part of the local football fabric and part of English football history and as our nearest league neighbours deserve our support.

Back in the 1960s Southport's (then a league club) main stand burnt to the ground. One of the few clubs to offer assistance was Blackburn Rovers. It's about doing the right thing.

So sentimental yes, but then football is an emotional game.

For once, I agree with you.

Your rite it's not, my point is how many fans do both clubs have form Accy and how many less would they have if Accrington had not suffered that fate. I would guess there are around 5000.

The citizens of Accy perhaps would be bothered if the roots of there football heritage had not been distroyed, and if 20% of the estimated figure attended Accy it would make a differance.

Still living in your bomb shelter in Blackburn or Burnley it dosn't matter what happens to local football as long as it does not effect your club.

Wonder if we would have found Derbs, if not for Gt Harwood Town, not to worry though they went bust as well, didn't they?.

If Great Harwood Town hadn't folded they would have had a nice little sell on clause for Derbs, if he goes.

Would probably have set them up quite nicely for a few years.

If Great Harwood Town hadn't folded they would have had a nice little sell on clause for Derbs, if he goes.

Would probably have set them up quite nicely for a few years.

I dont think they should have had to. We stand to make upwards of £4 mill for Derbyshire and we couldn't bung Harwood a few quid to keep them going? Shamefull.

Wouldn't it just be throwing good money after bad?

If anybody should be helping out Accy fiancially it should surely be the local council and the local populace. Why is it that Rovers should be bothered when others cannot?

How much do Accy owe? 300k? They would probably only need half that to keep going...so 150k....that would be less than a fiver from each of the residents of Accrington.

Now unlike others on here I do not mind Rovers helping out in some way but I fail to see any reason why they should be expected to if the folk of Accrington are not doing their best to keep the team afloat either. Ultimately they should be an amateur team as they do not have the gates to support even a League 2 pro team.

If we helped them now, they're sure to reach further turmoil down the line again, due to poor gates.

The fans just don't turn up, why watch Stanley when Rovers and Burnley are a short drive away?

Stanley have a good supporter in some local asian origin chap, cant think of his name but is one of the stands named after him, he'll surely sort out the inland revenue bill.

Ilas Khan.

He has offered to bail them out with the IR, however the board our confident that a meeting with the IR and a offer of regular payments and a presentation at the Ir HQ in london today, explaining as to why they where unable to pay the amount, will do the job.

What gets me about stories like this and the mess other clubs have found themselves in is not for mega bucks self imploding Leeds style debts, but for figures that Ronaldo or Terry or Gerrard alone would have little problem financing with little more than a months wages (after tax).

That is just plain wrong.

Absolutely - the contrast between footballs haves and have nots is quite astonishing when represented in these terms.

It wont be long before retired players become owners rather than managers.

Has anyone noticed all the old Accrington Stanley milk add being run again on many sky channels.

Doing there bit I guess.

I assume Stanley will get some sort of kick back for it?.

I havant seen the re runs but I think Stanley got a one off payment for the origianl advert.

You're not. I went to school in Accy and Stanley are very close to my heart.

I'm a Rovers fan first, but I'm also a Stanley fan.

Fingers crossed that this all gets resolved with the club staying in existence.

Me too, lived a short walk from the Crown. Sad indeed. Was at their first match when they re-formed and most all their games after that for a while even went to watch them away.

Accy are sounding confident they have agreement with the tax man.

Good news if true. It's now down to their fans to show their support - for those games when Rovers aren't playing! They actually had a really good season ticket offer for next season.

Archived