BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Catering - Brickbats Or Bouquets?

Tomorrow evening (01/06/09) the Fans Forum will be meeting once again with club officials. One of the main agenda items relates to Rovers catering operation ... both concourse and Blues bar. The catering manager will be in attendance and therefore if anybody has any observations or recommendations please add them below.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concourse - More selection needed. Maybe more alcohol options like alco pops for the women. Also allow fans to keep bottles with lids on. They are not a security issue, and its annoying having a bottle of coke under your seat that you cant knock over because there is no lid on.

Blues bar - never tried the food

I don't think the selection needs to be made much wider, everything is pretty standard stadium food/drink. However the service is horrendous. Having sat in the family stand and the Riverside in the past couple of years, it is equally bad in both. On Sunday my uncle queued up for more than 20 minutes and after that didn't even get a beer as they said they'd run out. One person was pulling beers and one girl was just stood there doing not very much at all.

I realise it must be quite difficult to employ people to work in the kiosks, 2 hours work on a Saturday afternoon isn't the best offer in the world, but other stadiums seem to provide a much better service than Rovers. We just need some kind of system whereby we have a couple of people who just pull pints, maybe invest in a few of those machines that can pull six at once, then other people can concentrate on serving.

This isn't a new problem at Rovers, it has been quite bad for a while and whilst it might not be mega bucks we are still missing out money whilst people are in the stadium.

Concourse - More selection needed. Maybe more alcohol options like alco pops for the women.

or guys who cant drink real beer eh Hughesy ;)

I don't think the selection needs to be made much wider, everything is pretty standard stadium food/drink. However the service is horrendous. We just need some kind of system whereby we have a couple of people who just pull pints, maybe invest in a few of those machines that can pull six at once, then other people can concentrate on serving.

This isn't a new problem at Rovers, it has been quite bad for a while and whilst it might not be mega bucks we are still missing out money whilst people are in the stadium.

Some training at Burger king required. Food's already there the cash transaction is what takes the time although the lethargic walk to and from the pie oven by the spotty teen takes a bit of time

I don't think the selection needs to be made much wider, everything is pretty standard stadium food/drink. However the service is horrendous. Having sat in the family stand and the Riverside in the past couple of years, it is equally bad in both. On Sunday my uncle queued up for more than 20 minutes and after that didn't even get a beer as they said they'd run out. One person was pulling beers and one girl was just stood there doing not very much at all.

I realise it must be quite difficult to employ people to work in the kiosks, 2 hours work on a Saturday afternoon isn't the best offer in the world, but other stadiums seem to provide a much better service than Rovers. We just need some kind of system whereby we have a couple of people who just pull pints, maybe invest in a few of those machines that can pull six at once, then other people can concentrate on serving.

They are the slowest bar staff on the planet. The brewery should provide us with the equipment and since we have a sponsor who is one perhaps they'll do it for us. The current fonts are far too slow, I can only assume though that the wastage was extreme when they weren't around. They don't seem to realise that you have 15 mins to not only buy one, but drink one.

Staff turn-over is probably high as well, which means constant training (the brewery again may provide this, with a few well choosen words) and so on. But it always just seems dis-organised as you said. I have to admit I no longer bother buying anything at half-time, because rarely do I get what I want and also I generally end up missing the start of the second half through waiting time.

Every seat in the stadium should have a touch pad you make your order, then enter your card details it gets approved and they get it ready. At half time you stroll down and join the queue, there's a card reader 3 people back from the kiosk, you shove your card in and your order comes up on the screen. Someone gets the order the other serves the customer, nice quick simple, low wastage & even untrained people could do it.

Wouldn't be cheap though! But seriously why don't the staff walk up and down the aisles selling during the game, they are probably just stood around anyway. I'd buy food again if it means I don't miss any of the match.

The provision of outdoor smoking areas.

Pre odering half time drinks, pay up front, then collect your drink at half time - saveing time.

Add another kiosk to the back of the riverside stand for the sale of alchol drinks please.

Get drinks poured and ready to go. They can sell a lot more that way. Like the above, I've stood and waited as about 5th or 6th in line and not gotten served until halftime was almost over.

Get drinks poured and ready to go. They can sell a lot more that way. Like the above, I've stood and waited as about 5th or 6th in line and not gotten served until halftime was almost over.

Forgot to add they must seperate the kiosk serving area into TWO sections, with the pre paid people queing seperately to the awaiting customers.

Could supporters open up accounts and use their mobiles to text orders or use some other form of modern technology.

The provision of outdoor smoking areas.

Pre odering half time drinks, pay up front, then collect your drink at half time - saveing time.

Add another kiosk to the back of the riverside stand for the sale of alchol drinks please.

Where exactly would you put these smoking areas?

Where exactly would you put these smoking areas?

At Coventry and Derby Countys ground they open the gates and put a barrier outside to cordon off an area so that people can stand there and puff away to their hearts content.

I dont smoke, but I know of a couple of people who stopped going because they couldnt have their half time fag.

At Coventry and Derby Countys ground they open the gates and put a barrier outside to cordon off an area so that people can stand there and puff away to their hearts content.

I dont smoke, but I know of a couple of people who stopped going because they couldnt have their half time fag.

Like Jal I don't smoke (unless ######) but my colleague does and he wasn't happy about it they should provide somewhere in each stand.

We just need some kind of system whereby we have a couple of people who just pull pints, maybe invest in a few of those machines that can pull six at once, then other people can concentrate on serving.

They already have these devices, and have had them for a few years Clare. One was in operation at the Portsmouth game in the DE. They must keep them under the stairs most of the season.

The pies are too hot, it must be something to do with those bags they come in. You are taking your life in your hands when you buy one.

Just reminded me, bought a pie once put it in my mouth, nearly melted the dentures it was that hot. :)

But seriously why don't the staff walk up and down the aisles selling during the game, they are probably just stood around anyway. I'd buy food again if it means I don't miss any of the match.

A bit fraught with difficulties if hungry person ten seats away from an aisle decides to order a burger 60 minutes into a game.

"COOO-EEE, A BURGER WITH ONIONS AND TOMATO KETCHUP PLEASE."

"ONE BURGER WITH NO ONIONS OR KETCHUP."

"NO, WITH ONIONS AND KETCHUP."

"OK, THAT'S £1.50 PLEASE"

"HOW MUCH?"

"£1.50"

Hungry person stands up and fiddles for change.

"HAVE YOU GOT CHANGE FOR A TENNER?"

"YES, SEND THE MONEY ALONG THE ROW, THERE'S ONLY TEN PEOPLE BETWEEN US, THEY'LL BE REALLY HAPPY TO SEND YOUR TENNER THIS WAY AND THEN PASS BACK YOUR BURGER AND CHANGE."

Ten pound note goes eastwards, burger and change go westwards, but before it arrives......

GOAL!!

Burger and change somewhere 10 metres northwards.

They already have these devices, and have had them for a few years Clare. One was in operation at the Portsmouth game in the DE. They must keep them under the stairs most of the season.

They sit on the back completely unused much of the time.

I especially liked it when a server put two pint cups on one, pratted about for a bit to make it pull two, then gave me my two pints.

This was at half time! Im sure the other 4 wouldnt have been waiting long before being bought!

They need one person to do nothing but operate them, this would speed up serving lager (and therefore everything else!)

The pies are too hot, it must be something to do with those bags they come in. You are taking your life in your hands when you buy one.

Is it honestly that much trouble to wait for a minute for it to cool down?

I'd rather have a hot one than a cold one, personally.

And yes, I do have the pies. Almost every game too.

Is it honestly that much trouble to wait for a minute for it to cool down?

ADB,

Well, yes it is actually for too many of the "I want it and I want it now, thumb-sucking, instant-gratification" people.

Can you imagine running the catering at Ewood (or any other football ground?)

19 times a year, you get 30 minutes before KO, then mayhem for 15 minutes at half-time. Then "I want my pie & pint now! I haven't had the foresight to actually eat anything before I set off for the game which will take all of 2 hours out of my life."

"I want a pint right now and my pie at the correct temperature, and while you're at it will someone hold my john thomas while I have a leak because I've got a pint in one hand and the pie in the other."

or guys who cant drink real beer eh Hughesy ;)

Ha I knew that would come up. No seriously, prior to every game I have a pint or two, the missus however wont because she isnt a lager drinker, and if they had alco-pops then no doubt she would buy a couple each week.

The pies are hot, but like some have said - its best to be hot (then you can just let it cool) than it to be cold when you get it.

To be honest the bottle bars also cover the pay before, pick up later idea (yes i know its only for bottles).

Best option for quick sale of pies, would be to have a guy walking around at the front of each stand selling them, like they used to with programmes.

A bit fraught with difficulties if hungry person ten seats away from an aisle decides to order a burger 60 minutes into a game.

"HOW MUCH?"

"£1.50"

"YES, SEND THE MONEY ALONG THE ROW, THERE'S ONLY TEN PEOPLE BETWEEN US, THEY'LL BE REALLY HAPPY TO SEND YOUR TENNER THIS WAY AND THEN PASS BACK YOUR BURGER AND CHANGE."

Ten pound note goes eastwards, burger and change go westwards, but before it arrives......

GOAL!!

It seems to work elsewhere! Last week I visited Toronto and went to watch a game at the baseball. People walk up and down the aisles the entire game selling food, drink and ice cream. They don't sell stuff like hotdogs (these are sold in the concourse where there are more food and drink outlets than I think there is in the entire of Blackburn), but anything that had a wrapper or container of some kind could be sold. There seemed to be no problems whatsoever with money passing up and down the lines either.

"HOW MUCH?"

"£1.50"

GOAL!!

Nah, this works well at rugby grounds so i'm sure it could happpen at Ewood too. You leave your seat and go to the sellers of beer or food and then waddle back to you seat.

I would buy more food if it wasn't for the long wait each time, it's crazy how long you have to wait and very inefficient

I very rarely buy drink or food at Rovers. Occassionally I get a Kit Kat if the game is poor, it helps to cheer me up (put on some weight this season!). Although I'm only an occassional user I'd say the service is generally OK but I have experienced poor service on a number of occassions - it is difficult to sell Kit Kat badly which of course makes me less likely to consider buying anything else.

ES for the club's info I don't buy food any more because:

1. The kids have gone past the age where they want (not need) something during the game. This is the main reason for not buying

2. The hot drinks, which I would probably buy, are awful. We are talking sweetened water here. I probably would be persuaded to buy a reasonable cup of coffee - Costa / Coffee Nation etc.

3. I don't want to queue for 15 minutes knowing I may miss the game

4. I don't need anything to eat or drink at a football match. I had lunch at 1.00pm, tea will be around 7.00pm. Why bother?

5. The facilities do not encourage people to buy. Went to Stoke this year and had a beer in the concourse. The beer was OK but the crowding etc took away any enjoyment. Left me thinking I will avoid organised club travel in future. I simply am not prepared to be dumped outside a football stadium 90 minutes before KO, hemmed in by police and coaches, find the coaches are locked behind us so we either have to haul our lunch around or leave it on the bus. There were no facilities other than to be rammed into a concrete concourse or to sit and look at a large area of grass. It isn't just Rovers who have the problem of providing an environment for selling food and drink.

Before someone asks what do I expect - it's simple better than the above. Football stadia do not have an environment for anyhting other than watching football.

I realise why the club want to increase sales and revenue but TBH honest it would take a small revolution in catering to persuade me anything on offer was worth the hassle. This I feel is the problem for the club. Chips are usually good but I wouldn't touch any of the other hot food items on offer - I wouldn't buy these anywhere else so I'm not going to be persuaded at EP. I do like being able to buy bottled water, that was a good move.

Please do NOT even consider selling food / drink in the stand or from the front of the stand. It's irritating enough having to put up with the constant flow of traffic up and down the rows and aisles during the game without someone trying to vend stuff while I'm watching the match! What is it with people who can't sit down for 45 minutes? Or those who have to leave 5 minutes before HT to get a beer? Or those who have to leave 5 minutes before FT. You came to watch a game of football! It only lasts 90 minutes.

That may sound like a rant but it isn't meant to be. Football clubs struggle to provide any sort of facility which encourage me to turn up early and spend more money. If Rovers want more money from me than the cost of an ST they are going to have to provide the facilities. I think it's close to impossible as stadium design and time constraints limit the options to what is already on offer.

If we go to theatre, cinema or similar we will often eat before or after, provided there are reasonable options available. This is the challenge for Rovers, persuade me down to the ground to eat and drink before a game. As far as I know all there is available is hot dogs, chips etc stood in a concrete bunker. It doesn't work. I want to sit in comfort, have a reasonable choice at value for money prices - that doesn't mean cheap.

• Backroom
For old time's sake/authentic experience, I bought a pie and a pint before the game recently.

In the absence of perimeter shelving, how are you supposed to open the pie wrapping?

Balance the pint on your head of course !! :blink::P:tu:

Archived