BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Catering - Brickbats Or Bouquets?

The end game here is for the club to make as much money as possible by making it as easy as possible for punters to be served as quickly as possible. Technology has to be the answer.

And please, no food being sold in the stands. This probably works in rugby and American sports because of all the stoppages. I imagine it works in cricket too. Now if they introduced replays to assist with decisions it might be feasible - but that's a whole other debate...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe employing people who don't have the memory capacity of the average goldfish would be a start.

"A steak pie and a pint of lager; and a pastie and a pint of bitter" was taking about 4 attempts until I decided to stop ordering the second meal deal until the first one had been delivered. However, that in itself has a problem... they can't add up either.

I like the food.

It seems to work elsewhere! Last week I visited Toronto and went to watch a game at the baseball. People walk up and down the aisles the entire game selling food, drink and ice cream. They don't sell stuff like hotdogs (these are sold in the concourse where there are more food and drink outlets than I think there is in the entire of Blackburn), but anything that had a wrapper or container of some kind could be sold. There seemed to be no problems whatsoever with money passing up and down the lines either.

#

I've been to a couple of baseball games in Boston to watch the Red Sox, I don't think football will ever be like baseball. All through the game people are up and down the rows, football fans would never put up with it. Fair enough, Toronto may not have been as bad but it was a full house at Fenway and I probably got to see half the game due to people keep walking past. he Americans have a totally different take on spectating sporting events, they are not real fanatatics like you see at football, they are there more just for the entertainment (and hotdogs).

How's about selling beer 'tokens' at the ticket office/club shop. possibly books of ten tickets for £25/£30? if this caught on surely it would speed up service at the bar. we must understand that the barstaff on the concourse are not like in our local pubs, the pay (I would have thought) will be bottom dollar and you get what you pay for. this is the case in most football grounds I have visited in the past. My experience of the service on the concourse is what I would expect from a football ground to be fair, and there is a lot worse out there! I'm more concerned about the service in the Blues Bar as we pay an extra £40 per season for the privilege of using it.

One valid point that has been brought up is the issue that bottle tops are not given out with bottles on the concourse. I took my family to the Coventry game and my little girl wanted a bottle of Coke, I spent most of the game holding it for her as the staff on the concourse would not give me the top... Maybe a bit of common sense should be used here.

I don't have much experience with the concourse bars any more as I now go in the Blues at half time. I have made my points, along with a few others, on the Blues Bar thread.

Go and look and Man City's catering. Probably the only thing they get right but even at half time, the service is reasonably quick and they have Singha beer on tap, not horrible Carslberg pi**! They just seem to see to people quicker. The worst is Bolton. Half an hour to get a beer this season!

The best i've ever seen was at Old Trafford (cricket). They have machines pulling the pints and they serve you in no time!

For old time's sake/authentic experience, I bought a pie and a pint before the game recently.

In the absence of perimeter shelving, how are you supposed to open the pie wrapping?

You should have gone in the BBE. Plenty of shelving and there's even tables.

How's about selling beer 'tokens' at the ticket office/club shop. possibly books of ten tickets for £25/£30? if this caught on surely it would speed up service at the bar.

Now that is a good idea. Not just beer either, everything. People could buy a book tickets for a pie and beer, or soft drink and chocolate bar (or what ever permutation).

Or they could put up some machines around the place where you put your notes/coins in, choose your combination and approx time of collection (most of which will be "half time"), and you get a voucher of some sort.

Voucher handed over to waiting bar staff - who already know the quantities they need to prepare and can half things in a reasonable state of readiness.

Simples!

I think we've cracked it Morton. :tu:

Now that is a good idea. Not just beer either, everything. People could buy a book tickets for a pie and beer, or soft drink and chocolate bar (or what ever permutation).

Or they could put up some machines around the place where you put your notes/coins in, choose your combination and approx time of collection (most of which will be "half time"), and you get a voucher of some sort.

Voucher handed over to waiting bar staff - who already know the quantities they need to prepare and can half things in a reasonable state of readiness.

Simples!

I think the token machines are a bit excessive, but other that that it's promising stuff!

I've been thinking about this off and on during the day so hopefully someone from the FF will see these comments about what I would buy at Ewood.

We go to The Lowry quite often to see a band, theatre, dance group etc. I always go straight from work and invariably I'm late, tired, hungry and probably irritable. I can dump my car in the NCP car park walk round to cafe Rouge at 6.50 - 7.00pm, explain to the waiter I need a good glass of red, something good and fast to eat, "what does he recommend as I have to leave in 25 minutes". As soon as the food arrives I pay the bill and I always get out in time for the performance having eaten and drunk well. I'd guess in percentage terms the numbers in The Lowry / Cafe Rouge would be close to those at Ewood on match day. If Cafe Rouge can cater for me arriving unannounced why can't Rovers when they KNOW I'm there every game.

Football has chosen to market itself as entertainment (I don't approve but there you go) but does NOT provide me with any of the trappings that go around the main event. I don't drink beer (well not the stuff that comes out at Ewood), coke or any fizzy bottled stuff, eat burgers, hot dogs, pies etc. The hot drinks are awful. So there is nothing for me to buy.

I understand there is something from Northcote in the Darwen End? I've been to a sportsman's dinner in there which was heavily sold as including food from Northcote. Now I've never eaten at the Northcote restaurant so I'm not sure what to expect but on the basis of being charged £30 per head for some very disappointing food in the Darwen End function rooms I would never be tempted to go back. My wife felt the food was "OK" for mass catering, personally I think £30 for what was basically chicken in lemon sauce plus some awful waiter service leaves a lot to be desired. The dinner is arranged by a club we belong to and frequently support in various ways but we've never been back to the annual shindig they hold at Ewood because of the food.

I would be happy to set out to Ewood early on matchday and have a bite of lunch but I need convincing there is anything on sale to make it worthwhile. If I feel the value for money is poor, as with the Northcote thing, I will feel resentful and disappointed. On the other hand if I can drop in and get a decent main course and glass of red for £12-15 in a good atmosphere I would go.

That is the challenge from my perspective :)

I've been thinking about this off and on during the day so hopefully someone from the FF will see these comments about what I would buy at Ewood.

I would be happy to set out to Ewood early on matchday and have a bite of lunch but I need convincing there is anything on sale to make it worthwhile. If I feel the value for money is poor, as with the Northcote thing, I will feel resentful and disappointed. On the other hand if I can drop in and get a decent main course and glass of red for £12-15 in a good atmosphere I would go.

That is the challenge from my perspective :)

I recommend that you join the 500 Club, you can get a nice glass of wine and a decent hot buffet. Yes, the food is catered by Northcoat Offsite, but from what I have experienced has been a good base for the day and night ahead... good hand carved roasts, good veg, and quality roast pots, usually a good curry,chilli or pasta dish too.

If you want better than that at a football ground I'm afraid you'll have to buy a table in the Centenary Suite or the like for next season.

Football has always, and will always be a different different from the theatre. I do not believe that your challenge is a realistic one that the club would be pursuing. However, everybody is allowed to voice their opinion.

I went to the Blackburn College staff do about two weeks ago, we were in the Blackburn End and that was done by Northcotes. So I guess you mean in the Blackburn End, not the Darwen End, unless they do both?

(It was delicious by the way.)

I think he means the 500 Club, and in the defence of the 500 Club it is very well run and the food is very good. Maybe not Michelin Star stuff but at the end of the day it is a Lancashire football ground!!!

More importantly to me, the bar is always accessible!!!

I recommend that you join the 500 Club, you can get a nice glass of wine and a decent hot buffet. Yes, the food is catered by Northcoat Offsite, but from what I have experienced has been a good base for the day and night ahead... good hand carved roasts, good veg, and quality roast pots, usually a good curry,chilli or pasta dish too.

If you want better than that at a football ground I'm afraid you'll have to buy a table in the Centenary Suite or the like for next season.

Football has always, and will always be a different different from the theatre. I do not believe that your challenge is a realistic one that the club would be pursuing. However, everybody is allowed to voice their opinion.

Do I have to pay to join the 500 club? Don't think I've ever been offered the opportunity.

I agree football is different from the theatre but I think the point is this. Football is trying / has tried to market itself as entertainment. Now I don't approve of this and I feel the PL has destroyed much of the game I love. However if football in general and Rovers in particular want to market the entertainment, food etc and earn more money from me the club has to match my expectations. I don't eat in MacDonalds and I'm not going to eat in Rovers equivalent because the club needs revenue. Give me quality food and drink and evry now and then I'll pop down for lumch before a game, but not if I have to pay for the privilege of being in the 500 club. I don't pay to belong to Cafe Rouge for example.

Football is entirely different from theatre. I don't expect to eat well at Rovers, in fact I have no need to eat there at all. I'm simply saying if the club want me to spend more money it will have to offer something I want to buy.

Football clubs can't have it both ways. If they want more revenue then provide what this customer wants.

Look at Stoke. For 90 minutes I was treated like a hooligan, pended in a concrete bunker, served beer through a wire grill. I won't be going back unless the game is vital.

I went to the Blackburn College staff do about two weeks ago, we were in the Blackburn End and that was done by Northcotes. So I guess you mean in the Blackburn End, not the Darwen End, unless they do both?

(It was delicious by the way.)

Nope it was definetley the Darwen End and took place three years ago.

Do I have to pay to join the 500 club? Don't think I've ever been offered the opportunity.

I agree football is different from the theatre but I think the point is this. Football is trying / has tried to market itself as entertainment. Now I don't approve of this and I feel the PL has destroyed much of the game I love. However if football in general and Rovers in particular want to market the entertainment, food etc and earn more money from me the club has to match my expectations. I don't eat in MacDonalds and I'm not going to eat in Rovers equivalent because the club needs revenue. Give me quality food and drink and evry now and then I'll pop down for lumch before a game, but not if I have to pay for the privilege of being in the 500 club. I don't pay to belong to Cafe Rouge for example.

Football is entirely different from theatre. I don't expect to eat well at Rovers, in fact I have no need to eat there at all. I'm simply saying if the club want me to spend more money it will have to offer something I want to buy.

Football clubs can't have it both ways. If they want more revenue then provide what this customer wants.

It would be worth you checking out the prices of the 500Club, for the extra over cost to your season ticket you have the choice to watch the game from inside the 500 Club (the viewing window stretches the length of the Darwen End), and you get the hot buffet and pay bar facility. There are also pre-bookable sandwiches available at half time.

Of course, it is not everybodies cup of tea but I think it is a good set up. Personally I prefer to have a few beers in the pub before the game, a couple in the Blues Bar at half time and a couple in the Blues after the game then off home for a curry!

I do agree that Rovers need to cater for all fans, and soon enough they will be able to offer something that suits you down to the ground, I really hope they can anyway.

Take a look on the Rovers website at the detail on the 500Club and let me know how you get on. You can also get tickets for the 500 Club for one off games, but Man Utd will cost an arm and a let where your Fulham's and Hull's will cost around £30 on top of your ticket.

OK I take all this on board. I'm sufficiently interested to look on the official site. I've checked the tabs for Hospitality, Fans, Club, Tickets, Team, Match and News. No mention whatsoever of the 500 club. It tells me about Blues Bar but nothing else on the catering other than a pop up for Northcote Offsite. So anyone thinking they might like to eat before a game is being offered Blues Bar or the Concourse.

Now I'm not trying to have a pop at the club, I think I've constructively put my point. I've heard what unlucky says and tried to find out more. No information readily available on the club website. End result I'd go somewhere else. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

This is probably the nub of the problem. I have a very, very casual interest in eating at Rovers. If I never eat at Rovers my life will not be any poorer. So it is all down to the club to make people aware of what is available.

OK I take all this on board. I'm sufficiently interested to look on the official site. I've checked the tabs for Hospitality, Fans, Club, Tickets, Team, Match and News. No mention whatsoever of the 500 club. It tells me about Blues Bar but nothing else on the catering other than a pop up for Northcote Offsite. So anyone thinking they might like to eat before a game is being offered Blues Bar or the Concourse.

Now I'm not trying to have a pop at the club, I think I've constructively put my point. I've heard what unlucky says and tried to find out more. No information readily available on the club website. End result I'd go somewhere else. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

This is probably the nub of the problem. I have a very, very casual interest in eating at Rovers. If I never eat at Rovers my life will not be any poorer. So it is all down to the club to make people aware of what is available.

It's called Legends now Paul - here are the details.

I don't think it's what you're looking for really (and I'm sure you're not looking to spend that sort of cash) ... Whilst I take your point about popping into Cafe Rouge before going to the Lowry, that's really chalk and cheese. There's probably a reason why Cafe Rouge don't have a branch on the Albion Triangle!!

And to be fair to Rovers, they have to make money on matchdays from the space that they have, and clearly as enough people (perhaps 500 going by the old name) pay the cash to use that facility in the Darwen End, Rovers aren't going to abolish it in order to open a bistro with free entry ... I would guess that Legends nets the club around 500K a season before bar sales, so it's useful cash even if it's the cheapest "hospitality" option at Ewood.

Likewise they have to get the balance right in Blues Bar ... between serving reasonable food and maximising revenue over the bar. Not sure that they have, but there's a whole thread on that one.

I'm not sure what Unlucky means by the 500 Club - I thought the offering in the Darwen End was Legends. I've been in there once, for my son's 21st with a few of his mates as a treat. It did the job, the food was fine but nothing special - decent pub grub. The cost was such that I haven't been back - not ridiculous but more than I'd want to pay regularly. Much better to save up for a trip to Northcote Manor - certainly not cheap but worth every penny. Having said that you can currently get lunch for £15 for two courses and £19.50 for three at Northcote. That will be cheaper than any corporate package at Ewood and in a completely different class of quality. Just typing that makes me think it would be an excellent pre-match option, especially for a 4.00 or 5.30 kick-off.

I'm not sure what Unlucky means by the 500 Club - I thought the offering in the Darwen End was Legends. I've been in there once, for my son's 21st with a few of his mates as a treat. It did the job, the food was fine but nothing special - decent pub grub. The cost was such that I haven't been back - not ridiculous but more than I'd want to pay regularly. Much better to save up for a trip to Northcote Manor - certainly not cheap but worth every penny. Having said that you can currently get lunch for £15 for two courses and £19.50 for three at Northcote. That will be cheaper than any corporate package at Ewood and in a completely different class of quality. Just typing that makes me think it would be an excellent pre-match option, especially for a 4.00 or 5.30 kick-off.

I think you just hit the nail bang on the head. I have no interest in "decent pub grub", I know the image it conjures up and it doesn't leave me thinking "Lets pop down to Ewood for lunch" What I got at the sportsman's dinner was one level above decent pub grub and for £30 a throw I'm looking for a lot more.

Ah right thanks Tris. You're right at those prices I'm not going.

Not a chance!! However you have to compare like with like ... the equivalent (and cheapest) package at White Hart Lane would set you back 4,025 quid (inc VAT) per season - which makes the 899 for Legends look modest (and illustrates how hard it is for BRFC to generate matchday income to compete with our rivals).

However thinking along the same lines as O2G - for the same outlay required to spend a season in Legends - for every game I could get a taxi from home to the Clog and Billy, eat a three course meal, get a second taxi to Ewood, and a third taxi home after the game, and still have change :unsure:

However thinking along the same lines as O2G - for the same outlay required to spend a season in Legends - for every game I could get a taxi from home to the Clog and Billy, eat a three course meal, get a second taxi to Ewood, and a third taxi home after the game, and still have change :unsure:

Sounds like a plan!

I'm sure the Rovers offer great value in this market, we do in every other aspect so I think it's a fair assumption. I appreciate the club has to provide for the majority and I'm just wondering out loud on all of this. The thread is about catering and by asking ES presumably is taking the feedback along tonight.

I may be unique (?) but I don't want:

Blues Bar

Concourse

Legends

Pub

I would probably use, especially on a wet Saturday lunchtime, something at £12-15 - perhaps £10-12 for food and £3-5 for the glass of wine.

Simples!

Yes its a good idea and you may not know vouchers are already in use and have been for some years all matchday staff are given/can buy a voucher then use them for a pie and a drink (pop\water) before we start work so it would be ever so simple to extend this to you mere mortals :mellow:

Yes its a good idea and you may not know vouchers are already in use and have been for some years all matchday staff are given/can buy a voucher then use them for a pie and a drink (pop\water) before we start work so it would be ever so simple to extend this to you mere mortals :mellow:

Seems like a fine idea to me. No doubt with your influence as 'an insider' we'll be able to get it implemented in no time! :D

Sorry Paul, it is now called Legends, it was called the 500 Club before that. I think it's as good as you'll get without going full on corporate.

Archived