BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Catering - Brickbats Or Bouquets?

they are all agency staff??, well that won't be cheap, not cheap at all.

Yeah, all agency staff. They are paid terribly also.

The NHS use a lot of agency staff too, stupid.

NHS pay the agency £500 a week, Agency pay employee £210 a week.

I wasn't sure from your post if you were being sarcastic or not...but hiring from an agency is amazingly expensive

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans forum was told last night that Ewood needs 175 staff every matchday. They have worked hard to reduce the number of agency staff and increase the number of returning staff, and the split is now 100 on the BRFC payroll and 75 from agencies.

I'm not sure when it was you did your one day there BPF, but it appears that improvements are being made on that front.

My first career - General manager in a hotel. So no sarcasm, personal experience.

I remember how expensive and useless agency staff where (its why I wouldn't use them). This is why I can't get my head round the catering at rovers.

Catering is a harsh life, so don't let your experiences get you down.

I haven't worked in it for several years but even back then I would have had to part with £13.00 pp hr, but they would be trained ( if they weren't well they go home, we work harder). Its just the club said that we are very tight on controlling the non-football costs and then we find out they use the most expensive method of employment possible.

Must be some serious staffing issues.

My first career - General manager in a hotel. So no sarcasm, personal experience.

I remember how expensive and useless agency staff where (its why I wouldn't use them). This is why I can't get my head round the catering at rovers.

It will be due to the relatuively low number of shifts per year - 25 in a good season?

the unpredictability of the work - Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday

It will undoubtedly overlap with any other part time or full time job someone has.

It will be due to the relatuively low number of shifts per year - 25 in a good season?

It will undoubtedly overlap with any other part time or full time job someone has.

The club would be delighted if they could have all their staff on their books and not use agency staff but that is not practical - they need to have more staff at some games than others and I presume there is still quite a high turnover on their own staff as well.

An aside from last night's Fans Forum. Mel said that the Friday before the West Brom game the two agencies she uses for staff and the laundry firm that does the uniforms all went bust and could not deliver anything. It was a wonder there were any kiosks open.

They'll still need a core of staff based on the minimum amount required from the last season, probably.

Its hardly un-predictable, you get the majority of your shifts the same day the fixtures come out. Any changes are generally done well in advance. I don't know many jobs where I get a full years shifts in one go.

Evenings or weekends are hardly going to overlap with the majority who work 9-5, in the current climate I would have thought people would be looking for work and or extra cash. College kids will always want drinking cash and so on, it could be done.

At the end of the day agencies charge a fortune it will be over £10.00 an hour, so pay £8.50 to all. £8.50 at 16-17 they will be queuing up and we'll save money, casuals and regulars. I'll wager a few more than kids will want the job as well no pub/restaurant pays that well.

Then we could train them and the majority of issues would go away.

Recruitment is one industry who will take a serious hit and if there all going bust, we'll have to do something like this or there will be no catering and if there is they'll be coming from manchester and that will be expensive.

If she was left high and dry on a friday before a game then fair play to her and the agencies for getting it sorted and open.

They'll still need a core of staff based on the minimum amount required from the last season, probably.

Its hardly un-predictable, you get the majority of your shifts the same day the fixtures come out. Any changes are generally done well in advance. I don't know many jobs where I get a full years shifts in one go.

Evenings or weekends are hardly going to overlap with the majority who work 9-5, in the current climate I would have thought people would be looking for work and or extra cash. College kids will always want drinking cash and so on, it could be done.

At the end of the day agencies charge a fortune it will be over £10.00 an hour, so pay £8.50 to all. £8.50 at 16-17 they will be queuing up and we'll save money, casuals and regulars. I'll wager a few more than kids will want the job as well no pub/restaurant pays that well.

Recruitment is one industry who will take a serious hit and if there all going bust, we'll have to do something like this or there will be no catering and if there is they'll be coming from manchester and that will be expensive.

If she was left high and dry on a friday before a game then fair play to her and the agencies for getting it sorted and open.

What you suggest is pretty much what Rovers are doing, increasing staff on the club's books and reducing the use of agency staff where they can. However, it's highly unlikely that they will be able to manage completely without agency staff for peak demand and to cover staff turnover which is bound to be high for this sort of job.

Rovers already have to bus agency staff in from Manchester and Preston as there are simply not the people in Blackburn on agencies' books.

What you suggest is pretty much what Rovers are doing, increasing staff on the club's books and reducing the use of agency staff where they can. However, it's highly unlikely that they will be able to manage completely without agency staff for peak demand and to cover staff turnover which is bound to be high for this sort of job.

Rovers already have to bus agency staff in from Manchester and Preston as there are simply not the people in Blackburn on agencies' books.

Could they not have casuals???? people who work when required (I always used to have some or is it too complicated nowadays). But I guess people want something more regular these days.

I believe the local college has a catering department, its all experience for them, perhaps a word to there tutor.

Staff turn-over has always been high in catering you just have to find out why and do you best to eliminate it.

Mel's got a long time till the next game to train people and work out an effective way of serving us. If she can sort it out with one night to go then it should be done by the first home game.

And that is a vivid example of the club being too big for the town it is located in.

And that is a vivid example of the club being too big for the town it is located in.

A business requiring 175 casual and probably young staff from this area which you allude to as incapable of providing, come on philipl, you've got to ask is the branch of communication the link to the town really there to bring them in. The answers is an emphatic NO !

A cold hearted advertisement in the paper isnt the solution, each group of young individuals will probably have friends, associates, contacts etc., that could and should grow the numbers quite easily.

Looks like Mel needs some support for recruiting, the youngsters are definitely out there, bringing them in and providing a suitable environment for them to work in is probabaly the challenge given the short timescales they have to work in.

Nothing wrong with BRFC catering quality..its just the cost..No cheap options whatever ground you go to in whatever league...For rip off prices go to Man U burgervans outside the ground..A cartel of fixed prices if ever there was one

I know all that, and I know the difficulties we have in recruiting staff for similar shift patterns.

25 irregular shifts per year isnt enough to be a sole job usually, and like I say invariably overlaps with the regular part time job. If it was every other saturday or whatever it would be far easier.

Nothing wrong with BRFC catering quality..its just the cost..No cheap options whatever ground you go to in whatever league...For rip off prices go to Man U burgervans outside the ground..A cartel of fixed prices if ever there was one

If the Ewood stadium prices are too much for you, go to the vans outside the Jack Walker stand on matchdays. They pay rent to the club so you would still be giving some money to the club. Other vans, further from the ground, don't pay the club. Surprisingly, they have had no effect on sales inside the ground.

I know all that, and I know the difficulties we have in recruiting staff for similar shift patterns.

25 irregular shifts per year isnt enough to be a sole job usually, and like I say invariably overlaps with the regular part time job. If it was every other saturday or whatever it would be far easier.

I took kids on from the catering college we had a link to them and we gave there kids experience, they then also got a working reference from a very good hotel when they graduated. The working environment within Rovers catering has valuable traits to pass on that kids will need if they are to succeed in the industry, something similar could be done, doesn't the local college do catering?? We sat down as it was a major issue and asked who needs experience in catering?

I would ask if any feedback has ever been taken from staff, agency included. What do people think of working in Rovers catering department?? This is the key.

I just don't see the issue with the shifts I'm afraid, you get plenty of notice and they fit in around college. Its a big operation and someone on here said they where there for 10 hours or so on a sat so thats £1500 a year (£6 per hr), tax free don't forget (for the college kids), I made a lot less at that age.

I just don't see the issue with the shifts I'm afraid, you get plenty of notice and they fit in around college. Its a big operation and someone on here said they where there for 10 hours or so on a sat so thats £1500 a year (£6 per hr), tax free don't forget (for the college kids), I made a lot less at that age.

You may not, but its clear that potential employees do. Or they wouldn't have to resort to agencies (which is the last resort in the catering operation and has been for some time - the fact it still provides almost 50% of the staff pool indicates a continuing issue with recruitment and retention)

Incidentally, most of the concession staff start at 12.30 or 1. And finish by 5/5.30.

Its clear we dont agree over the issue and I dont think either of us will change the others mind.

I made less than that as I was on £2.50 an hour at that age :wacko::lol:

Most people who want work experience will get something far more regular and equally as badly paid.

You may not, but its clear that potential employees do. Or they wouldn't have to resort to agencies (which is the last resort in the catering operation and has been for some time - the fact it still provides almost 50% of the staff pool indicates a continuing issue with recruitment and retention)

Incidentally, most of the concession staff start at 12.30 or 1. And finish by 5/5.30.

Its clear we dont agree over the issue and I dont think either of us will change the others mind.

I made less than that as I was on £2.50 an hour at that age :wacko::lol:

Most people who want work experience will get something far more regular and equally as badly paid.

If I had run any Hotel at 50% agency staff the other 50% would have been on the dole within months, myself included.

Cheers for the timings still more than I made at that age, about the same as you £2.50, I'd have loved £750 at that age I could have bought a car by 17.

Look I'm not trying to change your view, but the whole point of a problem is that its there to be solved. If people don't want to work for you why don't they and what can we do to solve it.

I look at it as we're not advertising it right, we're not targetting the right people and we're doing something wrong if we can't retain staff, you have to try things, if idea one fails try idea two.

We obviously look at this differently and as you said lets leave it.

Not a catering point but one for the Fans Forum people to pick up on. Before I get slaughtered I agree renewing an ST online is very simple. However when there are mistakes on one's account it is less so. Some points for the club:

1. Once logged into "onerovers.co.uk" there is no Help feature

2. There is no e-mail address to contact the club

3. There is no phone number to contact the club

4. There is no "are your details correct" type thing

If the club wants an electronic system to work it should be complete. Denying a customer the opportunity to communicate means the customer is likely to do nothing.

The prices showing for our STs are incorrect. I've logged in three or four times with the intention of renewing and been disuaded because of the errors. I've made a real attempt today but find things are still wrong and all of the above points are missing from the site. It's very poor in my view. I want to spend money and can't. If Rovers want my money they have to tell me how to communicate with them. I shall make the effort to find the contact details - a casual supporter might not bother.

EDIT: I've just made the effort to find the info on the main site. I'd like to add the following. Logic tells me to go to the Tickets tab. A few more observations on this:

There is no Contact us option

The telephone number is buried behind a picture of Ewood

There is no obvious e-mail address for contacting the ticket office.

About 90% of the page is taken up with adverts - I want information

I'm not very impressed that as a longterm supporter the information I need this morning is difficult to find or simply not available. Someone less committed would have given up by now. The club website needs looking at in order to ensure it's actually giving out information and not just a collection of irrelevant ads and links - which is what it looks like right now. No wonder I rarely bother to visit

There should be a BIG panel on the Home Page telling visitors how to contact the club. There should be a BIG panel on the tickets page giving contact details. It's the most important piece of information - how do I speak to a human being! There isn't one I can see and I'm interested.

Not a catering point but one for the Fans Forum people to pick up on. Before I get slaughtered I agree renewing an ST online is very simple. However when there are mistakes on one's account it is less so. Some points for the club:

1. Once logged into "onerovers.co.uk" there is no Help feature

2. There is no e-mail address to contact the club

3. There is no phone number to contact the club

4. There is no "are your details correct" type thing

If the club wants an electronic system to work it should be complete. Denying a customer the opportunity to communicate means the customer is likely to do nothing.

The prices showing for our STs are incorrect. I've logged in three or four times with the intention of renewing and been disuaded because of the errors. I've made a real attempt today but find things are still wrong and all of the above points are missing from the site. It's very poor in my view. I want to spend money and can't. If Rovers want my money they have to tell me how to communicate with them. I shall make the effort to find the contact details - a casual supporter might not bother.

EDIT: I've just made the effort to find the info on the main site. I'd like to add the following. Logic tells me to go to the Tickets tab. A few more observations on this:

There is no Contact us option

The telephone number is buried behind a picture of Ewood

There is no obvious e-mail address for contacting the ticket office.

About 90% of the page is taken up with adverts - I want information

I'm not very impressed that as a longterm supporter the information I need this morning is difficult to find or simply not available. Someone less committed would have given up by now. The club website needs looking at in order to ensure it's actually giving out information and not just a collection of irrelevant ads and links - which is what it looks like right now. No wonder I rarely bother to visit

There should be a BIG panel on the Home Page telling visitors how to contact the club. There should be a BIG panel on the tickets page giving contact details. It's the most important piece of information - how do I speak to a human being! There isn't one I can see and I'm interested.

Paul,

Go onto the home page of the website, click on the Club tab and click on 'Contact us'.

All the info you require will be there. However, I can't guarantee that the right person will be at the other end of the phone.

I've used the 'comments email' facility a couple of times and real people have replied to me, pretty prompt too instead of automated reply!!!

Give it a go, I'm sure everything you need will be there.

Paul,

Go onto the home page of the website, click on the Club tab and click on 'Contact us'.

All the info you require will be there. However, I can't guarantee that the right person will be at the other end of the phone.

I've used the 'comments email' facility a couple of times and real people have replied to me, pretty prompt too instead of automated reply!!!

I've also found in the past that a fax works very well. 01254 671 042

Pre odering half time drinks, pay up front, then collect your drink at half time - saveing time.

Unfortunately, factoring into consideration the number of people wanting pints in such a short amount of time, the inexperienced staff and the crowding that would take place, I could see this getting very complicated and confusing.

Get drinks poured and ready to go. They can sell a lot more that way. Like the above, I've stood and waited as about 5th or 6th in line and not gotten served until halftime was almost over.

This would be an obvious solution to part of the problem. You'd get served a fair bit quicker and it's easily to implement.

I dont smoke, but I know of a couple of people who stopped going because they couldnt have their half time fag.

I'll occasionally have a smoke with a pint, so am not really a regular smoker, but I find this very sad - not that the club have in some way failed to provide for them, but that they would rather stop attending Rovers game then go two hours without a smoke.

"I want a pint right now and my pie at the correct temperature, and while you're at it will someone hold my john thomas while I have a leak because I've got a pint in one hand and the pie in the other."

:lol:

Go and look and Man City's catering. Probably the only thing they get right but even at half time, the service is reasonably quick and they have Singha beer on tap, not horrible Carslberg pi**! They just seem to see to people quicker. The worst is Bolton. Half an hour to get a beer this season!

I have to admit, I cannot stomach Carlsberg and, consequently, VERY rarely order a pint at Ewood. Some variety would be great. However, it can't really be expected at a town club predominantly serving those on a small budget. The club would probably lose money.

The NHS use a lot of agency staff too, stupid.

NHS pay the agency £500 a week, Agency pay employee £210 a week.

I wasn't sure from your post if you were being sarcastic or not...but hiring from an agency is amazingly expensive

I've worked for a few promotional agencies - completely different I know - and I get paid a great wage. Then again, the agency themselves get about 40% on top of that, so an abolutely unbelievable wage. Despite this, most people I work with know that they have relatively little accountability and that they will always be needed. Consequently, they do not work very hard. Not sure if this is the case at Ewood or?...

Is there any way that those pulling the pints etc can be given other duties to extend their hours and thus make their job a bit more worthwhile? Cleaning after the game, for example?

Personally, I certainly don't feel as though the service at Ewood is any worse than elsewhere. In fact, it ranks amongst one of the better grounds I've been to. However, a lot of problems could easily be solved by having pints waiting and maybe one extra member of staff to deal specifically with preparing the food and drink while the others serve.

Tap water should also be more readily available.

Four of us went into the Blues Bar at 6pm yesterday with the intention of having something to eat and watching the England match. A man in a suit came over and asked us where we wanted to sit (the place was empty!) but when we said we wanted to order food he said it wasn't on and we could have a drink! He then lost interest and wandered back to the bar to continue his conversation.

We felt very unwelcome and intrusive. Not happy at all, would have settled for something simple to eat and were very disappointed. Just went and bought salad and chicken from the supermarket and went home to watch the match there. Appreciate it's now out of normal opening times just hoped something might have been laid on for the England match. Should have phoned first.

(Possibly a bit grumpy because we have builders in and no kitchen and dust/chaos everywhere...)

Paul,

I've also found in the past that a fax works very well. 01254 671 042

Well you're quite right it is there. Daft in my view and in completely the wrong place. I'm trying to buy tickets so I look on the ticket tab for information. I'm using the online store to renew my STs, a different web address, and I have to spend time and post on here to find the contact details I need to query a problem.

I shall renew but currently I'm being asked for £149 MORE than the advertised prices. I shall persevere. My point for the Fans Forum people is this; Has anyone from the club realised that a casual visitor would be discouraged and secondly the club could have had my money sometime ago instead of having to wait? Third I'm irritated that a simple process is so complex and full of errors.

Archived