BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] French Open Tennis

He definitely eased past Blake. He eased past everybody all week - how many times was he broken? Twice?

Muzza beat Roddick in straights at Wimbledon three years ago. Roddick got beat on grass by Gasquet too (hardly a grass court legend), and possibly Tipsaravic last year (I may just have made that one up though, I don't have time to look it up). His serve is undoubtedly a massive weapon, but he does not have the all-round game to seriously trouble those at the very top. If you could purely serve your way to the Wimbledon title these days, Ivo Karlovic would have won plenty of slams here. It isn't the 90s any more. Nadal, Federer and Murray are nightmare matches for Roddick because they can neutrilise the serve and beat him in all other areas. Djokovic is less so able to do this, but is still a far better player.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously he could potentially beat them and has previously, but five sets are a different animal than 3 set matches. He has a shot because he's in great form, but it's going to be very difficult.

When pretty much ever single tennis player on the tour admits that Federer and Nadal are on a different planet to them who am I to argue? The results at Grand Slams bear that out.

Wouldn't Murray have gone above Federer to No.2 in the World if Fed had lost to Haas at Roland Garros?

He's 6-2 against Federer - you can hardly say the guy on the wrong side of that record is on another planet to him.

Murray needs to win a major soon, once he does that a good number of the doubters should be quietened.

Again, 5 setters are a different kettle of fish. Federer buried Murray 3-0 in the US Open final last year. Oh and Federer beat Haas and y'know went on to win the tournament.

Steady, you were making a good point until you got needlessly facetious at the end there.

I'll ignore that anyway and say I agree with you. Beating one of them in a major is the next big hurdle he has to jump. If he manages it he may well jump the next hurdle at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
C'mon Maria Kirilenko :wub:

She's doing well, was on course for a double bagel.

I went yesterday, brilliant day out. We had tickets on No 1 Court, saw Djoko and Serena win comfortably, witnessed the amusing Llodra/Haas/Ballboy/girl situation then the epic womens doubles (when does Laura Robson turn 16??).

Had too much Pimms, ate lots and met Baby Elvis from Soccer AM. Good fun.

Wish they'd hurry up and get Murray on.

He needs to turn this around quickly or he's going out.

Nothing to worry about yet. Murray has some serious bouncebackability. He's just dropped the first set, even if he drops the second I'll still be backing him to win.

• Backroom

I'll be honest I havn't seen any of Wimbledeon this year but I support anyone against Murray, can't take to him and never will.

Murray - Federer final I'm thinking though.

• Backroom

I hate him even more now, due to him I've missed Crimewatch and it had the Rishton bank job on tonight, wanted to see that one, the yshifted it to BBC2 and my sky+ didnt record

• Backroom

Aye someone did the bank back in Feb, they were asking for people to be on the filming, bet the dole crew were swarming round for their 15 seconds on tv.

13/1 is a decent price on Murray getting beat tonight, especially if you cover your stake money by backing him to win 3-2.

Well at worst this works out like backing an even money winner.

Still a chance of scooping the lot.

Come on Wawrinka !!!

Superb epic game. I don''t watch that much tennis anymore but I enjoyed that immensely. Credit to Murray for refusing to buckle in the final set when the pressure was mounting.

Looking at the past meetings of these two it always looked like it could be a close game, much closer that people seemed to predict beforehand (hence the 13/1 looking huge). I'm glad I watched this and not the U21's !!

Guest Kamy100

Game, set and match Murray. Superb entertainment and Murray showed why is world class in the final set at 4-4, Warwinka threw down some monster serves, somehow he managed to return them and break serve. Only worry is how much this much has taken out of him because he looks very drained at the end of the match.

Archived