BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] French Open Tennis

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was always going to beat Ferrero, it's amazing that Ferrero is even at this stage of the tournament. The test will come in the next round and even if he gets past that, he can expect a drubbing in the final.

Not world class until he wins a grand slam.

Thats a bit daft mate - you're basically saying that the difference between him being World Class was the winning/losing of one match against Federer at Flushing Meadows?

There's no way you can call it as black and white as that.

He was always going to beat Ferrero, it's amazing that Ferrero is even at this stage of the tournament. The test will come in the next round and even if he gets past that, he can expect a drubbing in the final.

Again, silly. He's beaten Federer enough times for it to be believable that he can atleast hold his own IF he makes the final.

Edit: GSM Murray. Easy.

The second one was a prediction, we'll see what happens. If it is a Federer v Murray final my money will be going on Federer in 3 sets and the under in whatever the game number is set at.

For the first part, yes I do think it is that simple and if you don't do that then the list of "world class" tennis players becomes very long. Basically any player in the top 20 would be able to claim that they have been world class at one time or another. If Murray sits in 3rd for years and makes countless semi-finals and finals without winning a grand slam then I would change my mind, but simply being ranked highly and doing well on the Tour doesn't do it in my mind. Was Heman world class? Afterall he made 7 grand slam semis and at one point was 4th in the world. Is Djokovic? Roddick? Hewitt? Gonzalez? The list of players who have been ranked highly, won grand slams or lost grand slam finals is really long. Murray needs to do something special before he pushes himself into the highest class.

Henman was never World Class. Murray has more singles titles than him already.

As for the rest - you could make a decent case for each that at one time or another they were at that level. Right now, possibly not. Its a tag that can be lost as quickly as it is achieved. At the moment Murray is undoubtedly at that level, and has been for most of the last year.

Fair enough, but for me until you've won on the biggest stage I don't think you can be put at the highest level.

Agree with that much, but right now Murray is World Class. It wasn't so much intended to be a statement about Tennis greats past and present, more a reflection of the consistent form he's been putting in for the last year and where that places him amongst the current active bunch.

Got a sneaky feeling he'll struggle against Roddick the more I think about it. No idea why, he's made for him.

They are both made for each other. If anything has been shown in this tournament it is that Murray's serve isn't quite good enough and that attacking him is the way to go. Roddick is suited to taking an aggressive approach, if he does that then he could struggle. Murray has started putting more kick on his serve and if he has to go to his second serve a lot then it leaves the door open for very aggressive returning.

I'd say Murray in 4, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see Roddick win it.

• Backroom

C'mon A-Rod you can do it, although I doubt you will

I hate the biased crowds at Wimledon I have to watch on mute

Currently in the 4th set, Murray has broken Roddick straight away, could well go down to the last set if he can keep it going.

:wacko: Darwen must have fallen behind again! Happens sometimes.

edit - ok, you were just confused then! Nice edit!

Listening to tennis on the radio really is the most arduous task ever.

Could the mods not rename this topic to 'Tennis Thread' or 'Wimbledon' or something? Seems a bit demeaning to be talking about this in the French Open topic.

• Backroom

I really do dislike horse face, but I just did a good impression of his cheering when Roddick hit that set winner then.

Archived