BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Links

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #5

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period and that some 15 pages have been added in the last 24 hours.

Today's digest has been arranged according to transfer target or discussion topic for ease of reading. As previously, a degree of selective editing has also been carried out for the same purpose.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Michael Owen

any other clubs apart from stoke and hull showing any interest in michael owen nicko ? i know you dont believe big sam is keen , but i was just wondering who the competion would be if he was to change his mind ?

Owen has got an offer from Everton but thinks he will get more at Aston Villa. Mind you that has been the way of it for two weeks, so maybe he should take a hint about how real the Villa interest is.

And, by the way, Owen started only 15 games for Real Madrid. Newcastle ruined him? How dare they ask him to actually start matches and earn those £120,000-a-week wages. Tut, tut.

If Everton are in for him we don't have a prayer of getting him in on a reasonable wage. Avoid.

The offer there has a limit of £50,000-a-week on it...good dough.

In my view if you wanted a horse trainer for £50,000-a-week you would be better going for Aiden O'Brien.

just out of interest , would owen have more support IF mark hughes was still manager?

craig bellamy was just as injury prone and was more difficult to deal with , but hughes got the best out of him

so is owen the problem or is it big sam?

I honestly think Owen is a spent force and a luxury only some clubs can afford. You can see Everton getting a tune out of him because they will have Europe and they can pop him in and out of the side. But he would have to work his tripe out to play for Moyes's mob, so maybe that is putting him off joining them.

Sorry, but I think he is more interested in his horses. How can you commute from Chester to Newcastle by helicopter for training and still be taken seriously?

Remember last year - when he was meant to be on England duty - and he spent two days at Haydock instead while supposedly suffering from a bug. Yeah, right. No thanks.

Darren Bent

What is it with Spurs and valuations - they seam to pay over the top all the time. Bent and Bentley are going to cost them - and Keane is looking out as well - could either Bent or Keane be something for Blackburn or does Big Sam need a target player.

Doing a little something on Bent's valuation in the morning...he won't be heading this way, that's for sure.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #6

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period and that some 15 pages have been added in the last 24 hours.

Today's digest has been arranged according to transfer target or discussion topic for ease of reading. As previously, a degree of selective editing has also been carried out for the same purpose.

Any comments on nicko's posts should be confined to the respective threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Steven Fletcher

New name in the mix from the Express

SAM ALLARDYCE will bid £4million to bring Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher to Blackburn.

Scotland international Fletcher, 22, has scored more than 50 goals for the SPL club and Allardyce is desperate to bring in strikers after selling Roque Santa Cruz to Manchester City .

Steven Fletcher link, any update Nicko?

Also my uncle thought he saw Kevin Davies driving his car in Darwen this morning. I hope it was just a look a like!

I think you will find the Fletcher thing is wrong. Hibs want £4 million. They won't get it. And other clubs will pay decent fees for him. I don't think he is near the top of your lost at the moment.

No idea on Davies's whereabouts.

Al-Muhammadi

links to the egyptian guy keeps coming up. lazy journalists or something in it nicko?

The Egyptian media seem a bit hysterical and are hyped after the Confederations Cup. Al-Muhammadi has been over once, thought he was coming again and thinks Rovers are about to buy him - or at least his club is pushing it.

You heard and saw Sam...it's a striker first, everyone else nowhere.

If the guy hasn't got fixed up by mid-July he might get another trial. There is no way he is being bought right now - either on recent form or the present asking price.

I think every last penny will be kept back until the striker is signed.

Scott Sinclair

Nicko, what's Scott Sinclair's situation at Chelsea now they've brought Sturridge in? Surely he's way down the pecking order - perhaps he's one to look at.

Chelsea keep sending him out on loan and he keeps coming back without making a great impression. He went to Birmingham City and then dipped out of their team when it got serious. Thought he was going to be a good un, but not done enough to back that up just yet. Would probably be available on loan, but he is probably still Championship level and no more.

Tuncay

Discussion of Tuncay includes the following:

Why haven't we made a cheeky offer for Tuncay yet? Apparently, he "wants to leave his mark" in the EPL, "like Tugay". Perfect.

£5 million fee. £65,000-a-week wages.

Tuncay is a cracking player, but you will never go near those wages.

I was going to mention 're-sale value' but that is irrelevant again in his case.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #7 of 7

Current squad members and fitness issues (of interest here in view of our midfield problems)

Nicko,

I am curious to know what Sam has got in his backroom staff, scientists, fitness coaches, psychologists and medical!! SAM HAS NOT BROUGHT IN TOO MANY NEW STAFF MEMBERS...BUT THAT COULD CHANGE

Sparky was hot in those areas and understood that Sam was too, I think lots of last years injuries, ie: Dunn, Grella and Roque wouldnt have happened with a proper regime in the backroom, I have always had the belief that if you do a good pre season and the proper cooldowns, ice baths etc, injuries should be kept to a minimum!! DUNNY HAS A HISTORY OF INJURIES...SO DID ROQUE...THE GAME WAS JUST TOO QUICK FOR GRELLA

I noticed under Souness, we had lots of hamstring problems and I also noticed early last season, many of the stretches before the games were static and not dynamic, I do wonder if Ince and his team contributed to some of the injuries we had!! THE CHANGE IN BACK-UP TEAM WOULD CERTAINLY NOT HELP AS THE PLAYERS WERE USED TO ONE REGIME AND ASKED TO ADJUST TO A NEW ONE THAT WAS LESS PROFESSIONAL

I also note, the staff at Ewood are confident that Grella, Dunn, Emerton and Reid look to be good and ready for pre season, there must be good reason for that, as well as Bennis directive on the amount of body fat he is carrying!! THE ONLY TEST OF THAT KIND OF TALK IS ON THE PITCH...I WOULD NOT RELY ON SEEING TOO MUCH OF THREE OF THOSE FOUR BEING FIT EVERY WEEK...I HOPE EMERTON IS BACK AS QUICK AS HAS BEEN SAID...

The point here is Nicko, under sparky both Dunny and Roque played almost 80% of the games during the previous season, strnge how a change and the old injuries return, I would put it down to proper preparation and modern techniques!!

Dunny and Roque had major injury problems in the past and at other clubs - granted they had good spells under Sparky's regime - but in both cases they have recurring problems that take some managing.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was only briefly active on the thread in the afternoon yesterday, but a clutch of overnight reports on Rovers' transfer activity have seen nicko very active on the thread until lunchtime today.

The Transfer Window

Yesterday afternoon the question of when the transfer window opened arose. Discussion ensued, with the issue finally being put to rest when Lee made the following contribution:

[...]

... the window has been open since 6pm 24th May. As has been mentioned, contracts run from July 1st to June 30th. This has nothing to do with the transfer window. Once the season ends you are free to sign who you want until August 31st.

The Eleven O'Clocker

There was no eleven o'clocker yesterday:

nicko: i know i keep asking this, but i'm just curious. anything news tonight?

Not Rovers wise.

But Burnley have made a record bid for someone...in the paper tomorrow I trust.

Early Reaction to Overnight Reports

Overnight news that Sam was reported to be interested in van Nistelrooy drew this early morning reaction from nicko:

Started six games for Real in La Liga last season.

Yes cause he had a serious injury.

But his scoring record is beyond question, isnt it?

Something which has hit most players at one point or another.

Great finisher in his time.

Van Nistelrooy had TWO ops at Real in the past 17 months - one on his ankle, the other on his knee.

The second injury was so worrying that Real 'dropped' him from their official squad. I don't think he has played since November.

He makes Roque look like an advert for physical fitness.

Steven Fletcher

Yesterday's reports of Rovers being interested in Steven Fletcher are put into perspective:

Hi Nicko,

So Coyles in for Fletcher then???

Cheers

Yes. Bid in. Waiting for an answer. Decent chance.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was only briefly active on the thread in the afternoon yesterday, but a clutch of overnight reports on Rovers' transfer activity have seen nicko very active on the thread until lunchtime today.

Kevin Davies and Target Men

Further details of Rovers' enquiry about Kevin Davies' availability were revealed in today's Lancashire Telegraph (link below). Discussion, which also included a brief exchange on target men, was as below.

I can't find it anywhere...but if the story about Rovers confirming they made a call about Kevin Davies has been printed could they post it here?

Nice to find out I wasn't hearing voices in my head about that one.

In return I will tell you what happened.

Cheers. I believe the local paper had to swallow even harder and go into more detail. Very revealing.

Davies WAS the first target...and probably still the best option.

Wondered if anyone can think of another English target man coming through? Watched under-21s briefly last night...and it is obvious that this is a major problem looming for England in the future. They are a dying breed.

[...]

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...van_Nistelrooy/

Not a great deal about Davies but says Williams made a call and was told not for sale

Cheers again...

Allardyce has confirmed that chairman John Williams did make an enquiry about Davies but was told by Bolton that the former Rovers forward was not for sale. “John told me on Thursday that Kevin Davies is not available,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned that is it.”

So, the inquiry is confirmed.

As promised, in return...Bolton wanted #10 million.

Nice of the local paper to catch up with the tale six days later all the same.

10 MILL???????????????????????????????#

That's a "hands-off" valuation, not a serious pricing.

[...]

Bolton were perfectly entitled to quote that price. He is their skipper, most important player and has three years left to run.

I am just glad Sam has been honest enough to admit Rovers went in for him. He would want that out there because he wants Davies to know as well...if he doesn't already.

When I broke the tale I did say it would spark a war...apparently that has been the case in more ways than one.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

Miscellaneous Musings on Transfers

Further discussion of transfer targets and speculation included the following:

nicko, any indication who is in for Tuncay and how Sam sees him in terms of our plans? I know you mentioned his wages, but the same applies to someone like Ruud. I want to know is Sam interested at all?

Btw, whats up with Tugay, has he joined Hughes at City or is he relaxing somewhere, cause QPR is interested in getting him to play next season.

Tuncay has not got a club as of Friday...agents were calling round and telling potential buyers of the deal...I think the sale price of 5 million will have to drop...his wages are still a major worry.

QPR have asked Tugay if he wants to play on...he is doing his coaching badges in Turkey and has an offer from Man City...he might sign for QPR if the money is right...he could still play at that level..whether he could manage 46 games is another question...it will come don to how much he wants in the contract.

Ruud had 10 goals in less than 15 games when he got injured last season. He was de-registered WRONGLY, when they thought that he wouldnt be fit for the rest of the season, but he did get fit and it caused an outcry and was one of the last straws in the old regime's ineptness, because they missed me for the last month or so of the season, and he had declared himself fit. That was widely reported in Spain.

Are you sure that wasn't the season before? When did he last play? I heard it was November. Happy to stand corrected if not.

Arango was mentioned on here yesterday. Signing for Borussia Munchengladbach for around £2.75 million. Interesting player but not likely to have been on the Rovers radar in all reality.

nicko in your opinion, if the Di Santo deal falls through, do you think the sound of war drums will intensify (internally), or will they be heard/directed even louder at the breeze block.

Sam said yesterday he would blow the whole budget if needed on one player.????

Di Santo should happen, but until it is done there is obviously a bit of a worry.

I get the feeling we are going to move to a phase of watching targets in pre-season games and deciding whether to move for them.

Davies won't go away obviously. The only 'plus' on that side is that no-one will outbid you because no-one values him more than Sam.

It's going to be a fascinating few weeks. At least you have the Roque and Derbs money, so you know what you have to spend. Finding the right one is not easy. If Di Santo fell through it would be a nightmare.

[...]

Nicko, I know Gudjonsen has been after big wages in the past but would he not come down to a reasonable level in order to play in the EPL again - hopefully for us?

It would take quite some cut for him to come to Rovers. Plus there is still a fee. And I don't think he wants to get hurt any more by playing target man...and that - I hate to bang on - is what you want and need.

Just checked out the Eidur Gudjohnsen idea with someone who tried to bring him over...

The big chap does not fancy the Prem too much any more. Looking for a big pay day elsewhere.

Of course, he may not get the deal he wants in Italy or Turkey, so he could have a change of heart.

Just to provide another update on M'Bia, it is now being reported that a move to England is the most likely outcome for him this summer. The general manager of Rennes has said that there are three clubs interested, this might fit Nicko's rule, but we already know that Everton and Marseille have been in contact so it may hold some truth. Both L'Equipe and the paper I read this morning are speculating that it might be City.

Everton would take him if the price is right - around £4 or £5 million. Would make him cheaper than their other midfield target Joe Ledley at Cardiff.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Lunchtime update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 12:30 today.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was active on the board yesterday, including a single post on the Mr Ruudy Van Nistelrooy! thread, which is reproduced at the end of this digest along with a further post in that thread this morning. This morning his activity on the main transfer topic thread has been brief and largely restricted to non-Rovers-related matters.

Andre-Pierre Gignac

10m Striker link

Id be delighted if that was true - nicko???

The way I see things so far this window is that we have done great business so far. We have got shut of RSC asap for big money, we then cut Derbyshire who isnt good enough, and we have let some ageing players go, aswell as setting up moves for some other young players to leave.

Sam now has the funds to work with and a much better wage budget with room to move.

IN SAM we should trust.

I think it is a classic two-plus-two job. Gignac has moaned about Toulouse selling one of his pals. They sell players for BIG dough and he is a French international...so he won't be cheap.

Right now anything is possible, but I would say Gignac is unlikely. Very unlikely.

Barton and Nolan

Anyway Mr Nixon dare i bring their names up again, but any further news on Barton and Nolan? Are there any clubs considering taking a gamble on them?

Barton is happy to be picking up his wages at Newcastle and wants to earn them next season. If they ever get round to finding an owner and a manager we shall see how that progresses.

Nolan is on monster money and Hull want him but need the Toon to subsidise the deal.

Right now there won't be any money set aside for a midfielder.

It's a striker [or two] first.

Targets Update

ok nicko who do you think we will sign

IDEAL TARGET

Kevin Davies...too dear [at the moment].

OLD TARGETS

Nicola Zigic...oh dear...Valencia want rid, horrible feeling you will end up with him.

Mark Janko...been watched, inquiry made six months ago...possibly to be watched again...treat with caution.

Edin Dzeko...watched but always out of reach...won title in Germany, now bound for big things.

NEW TARGETS

Too many to mention...some decent, some dodgy doing the rounds.

MIGHT BE ONE NAMED IN THE SUNDAY PEOPLE TOMORROW...but he is only a possible.

DISMISS

Peter Crouch...too dear...was the target in January, but didn't fancy it...let him take his silly dances elsewhere.

Darren Bent...far too dear...finisher, not Big Sam type.

Tuncay...too dear...not really a central striker.

Michael Owen...not fit.

Ruud van Nistelrooy...massive wages...massive medical.

Obviously I have Di Santo 'counted' too although I will be happier when it is done.

Otherwise it is two of the above.

Zigic

I personally would be happy with Zigic, he is a very good target man and scored 13 goals in 19 apps last season in La Liga, very impressive. He is also about to turn 29 so age wise its not really a concern.

Nicko- any idea how much Valencia are looking for and what type of wages Zigic is on? Just wanted to see if this is a realistic signing or not. Also are you naming a decent player or a dodgy one tomorrow in the People?

Zigic has re-sale value too...in the timber trade.

Valencia are skint and want rid, so there is a deal to be done.

It doesn't fit with the 'I'd blow my budget on a good striker' profile. But I just have these nightmares about him coming.

The guy named in the People is ok, cheap but not a bad thought that has been put in. Not sure it will be used as the football is being squeezed because some pop star has died apparently.

Blame it on the boogie.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Lunchtime update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 12:30 today.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that nicko was active on the board yesterday, including a single post on the Mr Ruudy Van Nistelrooy! thread, which is reproduced at the end of this digest along with a further post in that thread this morning. This morning his activity on the main transfer topic thread has been brief and largely restricted to non-Rovers-related matters.

Re-Sale Value and Striker Options

The following exchange is followed by further discussion on the relevance of re-sale value.

Nicko, can you please stop mocking the concept of 're-sale value'?

Our club operate on a shoe-string budget, one that will grow tighter every year that goes by without obtaining outside investment. For the long-term future of the club, it is important that we bring in player whom we can develop and sell on for a profit or, otherwise, manage to recoup some of their transfer fee. Bringing in the likes of Grella for £4m and Davies for £5m is financial suicide.

We're struggling at the moment to get anybody in, think how much we'd be struggling if we hadn't have bought Roque and made the profit on him that we did.

Re-sale value is important to the club, but you CANNOT let it be a handicap on your current chase for a striker.

It is hard enough finding the ideal striker without putting this daft restraint on it.

Judging by some of the alternatives to Kevin Davies that have been bandied about within the club in the last week I would think it is safe to say that 're-sale value' is not much of a concern right now.

Winning games, putting out a strong team and staying in the Premier League are the three most important factors.

Re-sale value is a bonus. Right now it would be a pain to apply it to a very difficult search for a striker.

In Zigic's case I can see the point. He would make a good lamp post.

Davies is very hard to do...the price is way too much.

As he is a dying breed it makes alternatives thin on the ground.

Davies at £5 million is worth a punt, but Davies at £10 million is just plain silly.

Just like thinking Ruud would come of half or third wages won't happen...

So it's a toughie.

The Eleven 0'Clocker

Slightly early - but I have an Al Stewart CD to listen to...

ROVERS - a bit more on the Davies thing in the morning, but basically what you know already about the £10 million asking price...I will keep the possible striker option until later just in case it gets cut out.

YOUR DINGLE MATES - have bid for Marcus Tudgay at Sheff Wed as well as Fletcher at Hibs...Coyley wants things done fast...seems to enjoy having money to spend for a change.

WEE MICHAEL OWEN - would probably be going to Everton I think...said no to a big deal at Hull and the Goodison mob think they are getting him...all the best.

That's about it I think.

The Possible Striker Option

[...]

Frederic Piquionne...in final par.

Would like to know his current form from our French friends.

He was a handful before he went to Lyon but looks to have made the wrong move.

Reasonable choice at a low-ish price.

[...]

Amr Zaki

With the striker options being drawed up on the board here, I realize that signing Amr Zaki would be the BEST possible move for Blackburn at this time, both ability,potential,money and agewise !

Sam is close to Steve Bruce...I think a call to him might end that interest very swiftly.

Ruud van Nistelrooy

From Mr Ruudy Van Nistelrooy! thread:

Ruud is a natural goalscorer, a poacher, someone always there is a chance falls in the box - something we could do with!! For 1.5m its a win, win situation if we could get performance related wages set-up with his agents

Ruud is due £6million plus in wages in the next 12 months.

I can't see him doing cuts or performance-related pay.

Not with his performance-related record.

Van Nistelrooy was out from November 2008 until April 2009 after a repair job on a torn meniscus.

Before that in March 2008 he had an ankle operation.

Of course he had the famous cruciate before he joined Man U.

And some would say he has also had to have work done on his hooves. ;)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 12:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread but starts with unleaded's news from early afternoon yesterday of N'Zonzi's arrival at Brockhall for a medical on Saturday. (The post is now found in the N’zonzi Deal Agreed thread.) Yesterday afternoon there was a general discussion on the impact of Man City's forage (sic) into the transfer market for the coming season, while this morning's reports of Lars Jakobsen's imminent move to the Rovers from Everton has been the main topic of interest.

Stephen N’Zonzi

French midfeilder Stephen N’Zonzi had his Medical yesterday down at Brockhall and should wrap up his move to Rovers this week.................£500 K....................................

[...]

nicko: are the nzonzi (or whatever his name is) deal done?

He has been over for a medical. I think it is a £400,000 signing with extras.

Cheap and cheerful. No harm done.

Ben Haim

"...Defender Ben Haim has been offered to Blackburn Rovers, but wages could be a stumbling block. Striker Benjani has been told he can leave the club, but as of yet there are no takers for the injury hit player..."

http://www.football-latest.com/footballnews/

This fella is 70/80% right all the time.

Ben Haim is on huge wages. Rovers don't need another centre half. And Sam wants striker first.

I think there will be a long wait before that one comes round.

[...]

The Eleven O'Clocker

Not got a lot of Rovers news...N'Zonzi coming is about it...for the moment.

Man U are signing Valencia any day now...Alan Irvine about to go to West Brom if they sort out compo...Eto'o should get done [although it seems Barca are shooing him out of the door].

[..]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 12:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread but starts with unleaded's news from early afternoon yesterday of N'Zonzi's arrival at Brockhall for a medical on Saturday. (The post is now found in the N’zonzi Deal Agreed thread.) Yesterday afternoon there was a general discussion on the impact of Man City's forage (sic) into the transfer market for the coming season, while this morning's reports of Lars Jakobsen's imminent move to the Rovers from Everton has been the main topic of interest.

Lars Jacobsen

The Independent, 29 June 2009

Jacobsen Set for Rovers (in today's Transfer Talk)

thanks to 67splitscreen for the link

According to Danish TV 2: http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/id-23344856.html

Denmark international fullback Lars Jacobsen is to complete his move on a free transfer from Everton to Rovers today and sign a 2 year contract.

Should be signed for right back competetion.

Nicko: Is there any in it about Lars Jacobsen?

Jacobsen story very odd...but if he is a free it could be right...didn't do much at Everton. He was linked with Burnley recently which was absolute pony. So we will see if this one is right.

On strikers...the prices are scary.

The Swedish lad Berg - linked with Everton today - is being offered around at £12 million. Way too much.

Man City's Jo will probably go to Everton on loan again...although they will try to get Lescott as part of that deal [plus a shedful of cash].

I've been concentrating on trying to find out what striker you can land, so a bit shocked if Jacobsen is happening. But I don't suppose that would take much out of the budget.

Miscellaneous Names

Nicko is there no way our Civelli interest could be revived now that we have some cash?

Civelli's wage demands are a bit high...he is due in for talks with Everton...which maybe explains the Jacobsen 'switch' from getting a new deal at Goodison to being a potential Rovers target.

Very worried about Jacobsen's injury record.

Any news on Di Santo coming? It seems to have taking a long time

Also is there any chance we can get Janko, Nico?

I think you will have to wait until mid-July for Di Santo. Ancelotti wants to see him first before giving the 'si' to that one. No point in rushing them, they are doing you a favour.

USA did quite well getting to the final..wonder if there are any bargains to be had amongst that lot..

I'm not saying he woould be the ideal answer or a starter, but that kid Davies up front looked good for the Premier League. Quick, brave, persistent. A tough little character, took a shine to him.

[...]

Whats happend to the rothen deal Nicko?

PSG want money...Rovers have not made a contract offer to the player because of more pressing issues...so that one is stuck in neutral or maybe even in reverse.

[...]

Is it true robbie keane could be available again nicko? He could be a good option for us is we are looking for striker and have the rsc money to spend.

There are constant rumours about Keane just now, but he would still cost a fortune and he is on ridiculous wages.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread. Over 10 pages have been added since yesterday afternoon, much of the discussion being on Kevin Davies and the importance of a target man in Sam's system. Please refer to the thread itself to follow the discussion.

nicko: do you know when the signing of nzonzi will officially be revealed?

and another thing, sam did say that they would bring in a striker before anything happened. and then they probably will sign two players before i striker comes in. that makes me think that the comments about not going for davies is just plain bullshit.

I think N'Zonzi is a done deal barring some unforeseen hitch.

I don't believe that the money spent on that kid - or Jacobsen - will affect a striker coming in.

However that is a hard chase and I have a funny feeling there will be another go for Davies before much longer.

[...]

'If Sam persists with Davies and Davies kicks up a fuss, what is the likelihood of Bolton letting him go?'

It is still a very hard one to do and it won't get easier as the summer drags on.

I wouldn't want to be trying to broker this one.

Davies is happy enough at Bolton, it's just a matter of whether he would be happier still under Sam again.

Nicko IF we do sign Davies can you see us also bringing in a quality midfielder? i.e. shelling out some decent money.

It's still a very big IF but until a proper striker is signed I don't think you can make plans for any real signings in other positions - rather than the current crop of cheapies like N'Zonzi, van Heerden and Jacobsen.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 3

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been very active on the thread during this period.

Today's digest is essentially a chronological summary of the thread. Over 10 pages have been added since yesterday afternoon, much of the discussion being on Kevin Davies and the importance of a target man in Sam's system. Please refer to the thread itself to follow the discussion.

Nicko, did the Jacobsen deal catch you on the hop or were you aware of it. It seems there's been little mention of him on here and now it appears to be a done deal.

It came as a surprise. I knew they wanted a right back, but I can't say I ever heard his name mentioned.

My Everton source says he was happy to stay there until Moyes went for Naughton at Sheff U a couple of weeks ago and he decided to go elsewhere.

It's got a 'cheap and cheerful' look about it. He has a poor appearance record, but he is a free - so it happens.

The striker signing had better be a good one - been spending time on that one without much joy. Keep coming back to the same name...

Two strikers needed. Di Santo 'counted' but the other one is the all-consuming issue for management and onlookers.

Sorry, so Sam wants 4 strikers only?

Benni Mac, Roberts, Di Santo(Mr X) and Mr Y?

I thought it was 2 in to replace Derbs & then another to replace RSC?

I'm losing count now myself...but he wants a Big One and he thinks Di Santo is coming...there could be another or even another after that. But the priority is a Kevin Davies-style proven target man who can start and lead the line...with Di Santo as his right-hand man if Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti agrees to the loan.

The Eleven O'Clocker

A bit Murrayed out, but here goes.

Jacobsen obviously done, a bit shocked. I hear there are big things expected of N'Zonzi with talk of him maybe playing 15-20 games next season. So you may already have signed two 'starters.'

I have got to say it is hard to see the big picture right now - the biggest parts are still missing. Have a funny feeling there are going to be a lot more surprises.

On other fronts...Eto'o wants a massive chunk of the Barcelona 'sale' money before he goes to Man City...Alan Irvine is back from hols and still waiting on West Brom agreeing compo [what a joke] and your lovely neighbours have agreed a £3 million fee for Steven Fletcher and offered £1 million for Hamilton's James McCarthy...Villa could be very close to signing Tuncay from Middlesbrough which would be a rather neat capture if you ask me.

Gaetano D'Agostino of Udinese is linked to a move to an unspecified Premier League club late last night - thanks to Hi Mack for the heads-up and to Doaksie for the subsequent report that it was being reported on the BBC website, courtesy of the Press Association.

nicko replies to overnight speculation in the press and on the board:

NEILL...as well as Jacobsen?...would start to wonder what is going on if that happened.

VAN DER MEYDE...sheesh.

UDINESE GUY...probably just trying to get more money out of Juventus or whoever.

DOYLE...it CAN'T be that much, but it probably will be in installments.

BEYE...thought he might have been an option, but does not seem to be a vacancy for him after Jacobsen either.

It's up to John Williams to protect the financial future of this club, not just immediately but also in the long term. It's fairly obvious the signing a 32 year old for nearly £10 million would cause huge problems for us in a couple of years time. Williams wouldn't be going beyond his power in preventing a deal like that happening.

As it stands - after the signings of Jacobsen, N'Zonzi and even Givet and after the loss of Roque, Derbs and the rest - Rovers look like a side that could be close to the relegation zone.

If you don't sign one top striker or two that will remain the case.

What price is that to you? What long-term financial future will that mean?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 3

One question. What did Roque , Derbs and the rest do from January and on?

Not much, but you have also lost Ooijer, Tugay, Villanueva, Simpson as well on top of those two...maybe even Kishanishvili.

You are well short and it would be a struggle without getting in the right strikers.

And I don't mean Big Chris. Remember he was pushed up there because you didn't have a target man.

Do you really want that again?

nicko: you seem to say that nzonzi is signed.. when will it be officially announced?

No idea, time-scales for the 'official announcements' are a bit unpredictable at this time of year. But - like Givet - I think you can take it he is coming.

ok. nice to know nicko. do you know when the hoilett situation will be solved?

No idea. There is supposed to be a tribunal, but don't know when. Soon. Hopefully.

nicko responds to LeChuck in the course of discussion on target men:

[...]

Rovers NEED the right target man otherwise the tactics will not work. You scrambled away from trouble last time courtesy of a couple of big displays in key matches with Big Chris up front.

If you want to be in that kind of fight again, don't sign a top striker.

There is no way Sam is going to go into a season with McCarthy and Roberts as his senior options.

He left the pair out a couple of times when the going got rough. What does that tell you?

That means that Sam will have to adjust his tactics. The bleak Stoke copy version of football presented is not going to cut it. We were fell found against Stoke away. Most embarassing match I've watched from us.

No, he won't adjust his tactics.

Yes, he needs the players to make it work.

Starting with a target man.

You employed Sam because he plays pragmatic football after the harem-scarem trash you had for a while under his experimental predecessor.

So let the man sign who he wants and stuff the micro-economics.

There just ISN'T a young re-sellable striker around who could play the way that YOUR manager wants. If there was he would [a] cost a fortune with little re-sale value, still be a risk if he came from outside the Premier League and [c] HE WOULD ALREADY BE HERE!

[...]

Nicko... in amongst all this talk of Davies I may have missed it but

Do you know whether Davies wants to come or not. Clearly BFS has tapped him up on holiday and I would guess Davies wants to play for him. Any ideas ?

I couldn't possibly comment on that...

However I first heard the Davies thing about a month ago now and it is still lingering. So the manager must think he has a chance.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was quite active on the thread yesterday evening, but so far today he has only been active from early afternoon. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

In the Nzonzi report for the BBC, it says Sam still wants Ruud.

Is he still trying for him?

The agent who brought in N'Zonzi is also the agent trying to find Ruud a home for Real Madrid.

However that one will take some doing on grounds of his fitness and wiliingness to drop wages from £120,000-a-week.

Having wrapped up Steven "The New Viara" Nzonzi and Elrio" The Aaron Lennon Of Africa" Van Heerden.....................We are also chasing Franco "The Peter Crouch of South America" DI Santo......................All we need now is the new kevin Davies.................I think Everton have one by the name of Victor Anichebe and then there is also Andy Carrol at Newcastle but wait he might be "The New Shearer!!!................................................................

Are they on the shopping list ?

Anichebe is injured and - despite unleaded's undoubted skill - not the best.

Carroll is very raw and Newcastle won't want to lose him.

Nicko...or any one else for that matter...

whats the craic with Martins @ newcastle? is he available? thought someone might have went in for him by now.

also, with Saviola signing for benfica... could that open the door for us and a move for cardoza?

[...]

Martins can go, but there don't seem to be many takers. Did himself no favours at the end of the season one way or another.

Cardozo is available. But the price is something ridiculous. Rovers got 'used' in a story last week from Benfica - trying to spark an auction. Nobody is signing him for that much.

The Eleven O'Clocker

Early one...want to see CSI Miami's return [taped].

Ince is talking to MK Dons...not sure he will take it.

Valencia done, Fletcher done, Eto'o lawyer playing a blinder and screwing Barca in public.

No Rovers news...still running around looking for a striker.

Strange day. That nice Alan Irvine gets messed around by West Brom and EwoodGlory makes a mint on a tip he should never have won with.

That is almost cosmic.

All the best.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko was quite active on the thread yesterday evening, but so far today he has only been active from early afternoon. Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread.

Early this morning Kamy100 posted a concise summary of today's Rovers news in the Lancashire Telegraph (see below for link):

In this morning's Lancashire Telegraph John Williams has confirmed that Rovers are interested in Di Santo, they have also been looking for a proven Premier League goalscorer but may now have to look abroad. JW also says that Rovers made NO enquiry for Kevin Davies, it was Bolton chairman Phil Gartside who rang Rovers to seek clarification on the rumours. [...]

Lancashire Telegraph, 1 July 2009

Blackburn Rovers to look overseas for striker

Gignac and discussion of French strikers dominated discussion for a period during the morning.

nicko joined the thread early afternoon and suggested there was movement on the striker front that did not involve Kevin Davies.

Nicko: Any news on incoming strikers? I've heard from a mate that Sam would love to sign a new striker in time for the training camp in Austria?

There should be something soon. Earlier than you think.

Patience, people.

Does that mean there is movement as we speak?

Give it time, but there should be some light at the end of one tunnel.

I know its tribalfootball.com, but anything in this Nicko?

Biglia reveals bolton and blackburn offer

The guy has been pushing for a move for weeks. Not been an awful lot of interest.

I believe the striking department is the one focussing minds right now.

Corriere della Sera apparently reporting Vieri will join Rovers' Austrian training camp according to Goal.com.

edit- this story has been rubbished by Lee on the official site

LT have reported:

- 16 year old Aussie Tony Vasic signing for Rovers

- Aristiedou has signed for Shrewsbury Town

- Tony Kane has signed for Carlisle United

- Andy van der Meyde will not be joining Rovers for pre-season training (he flopped when he was here at the end of last season)

- Sam completely rules out any interest in Owen and Barton.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was extremely active on the thread yesterday evening, but so far today he has only been active briefly around 09:30.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that over 10 pages were added during the course of the evening yesterday as the board went into overdrive on the back of hints from nicko that he understood there was an imminent move for two strikers in the offing.

nicko, did you say something about people at rovers are expecting nzonzi to play about 20 matches this year, do you know if he is any good?

N'Zonzi is a discovery of the new European scout Dave Worthington [one of the famous family].

Worthington worked for Sam before and was the guy who found Abdoulaye Faye in similar slightly-obscure circumstances.

The feeling is that the kid could go right into the mix. I will reserve judgement. But if he does crack it in his first season and the fee is low [£400,000 initially] then it is a steal.

[...]

The other day you seemed positive Allardyce would go back in for Davies... Not the case? A change of heart? An opening of the eyes?

If you recall I said 'a hunch' but we digress.

There was a big summit yesterday and I think things may have 'moved on.'

Until someone or some two arrive we will have to wait and see.

Nicko, when can you let us know the name of the striker that we hope to get in sooner than we all thought?

As soon as...not commiting to an 11 o'clocker because there is too much moving...and a deadline to consider.

And it's strikers which makes it just a bit more interesting.

Can we have some clues please...............dinosaur, young pup, foreign languages, small fortune in wages/ value...........................

All I can tell you is that there seem to be breakthroughs on two strikers.

I think you know one of them - and have worked out why. It's just a matter of when.

The other would be a big-money one, which makes him young [ish] and probably foreign. Got three names I am working on and trying to find out which one. Without any joy as we speak.

nicko: you say it's been a breaktrough.. do you think we might sign a striker or two before the end of the week?

I don't want to put time-scales on it, but you are making serious strides. It's been a better day from that point of view.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 4

nicko digest from the Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic (Part 2) thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was extremely active on the thread yesterday evening, but so far today he has only been active briefly around 09:30.

Today's digest is a chronological summary of the thread. Note that over 10 pages were added during the course of the evening yesterday as the board went into overdrive on the back of hints from nicko that he understood there was an imminent move for two strikers in the offing.

[...]

Well, I dont play many hunches on here but I will make two, I think the Di Santo job could be tied up soon due to the fact that Chelsea are signing a couple more front men, one I understand to be Sturridge!

Very warm indeed.

[...]

NOT Piquionne as we speak. Ruled that one out in last couple of hours.

About the only break so far...and the fact that he hasn't flown in to the club's usual hotel.

[...]

Sturridge deal is now clear to go through in the next few days - late problem sorted out in it.

Are they all "target men"....? (*shudder*)

I have a bad feeling about this... :(

All six-foot plus. No harm in that.

They've probably told him to wait until the Horse has bolted. ;)

I'm prepared to be pelted in the stocks for this...but I don't think it's Ruud. I believe this is a big FEE job rather than big wages.

I wonder if the Benni talk this morning has anything to do with the 3 names you're getting Nicko?

No, I think the big summit yesterday is the significant thing here...since then a lot of sparks have been flying.

Sam wanted Davies, so his 'consolation prize' will be to spend a lot of money and a really good striker.

And, yes, I suspect the transfer record could go...but don't hold me to that.

[...]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 4

How about it being Janko?

Pray not Zigic!

I have to say those are the two I have been chasing for the past few hours, but only to rule them out if possible.

Janko's club are in Europe and rich. He is probably over-valued and Red Bull Salzburg are unlikely to drop what they want.

I keep hearing Zigic does not fancy coming to England which would be a relief.

All I can glean is that it would be a big-money deal and hopefully that also means top-quality.

I do have one name I have got some faith in, but not enough to write anything here or anywhere else. Trying like a bear on this because I think it is a hot one.

[...]

The Eleven O'Clocker

STRIKERS...Chelsea have sorted out Sturridge now and are open to Di Santo going...so Mister X may be on his way sooner than anticipated...[ALL CHEER AT THIS POINT]...however Mister Total Mystery is still one...I have been working overtime and can't crack it, but I do know that there has been a major push for a fairly expensive striker [probably European mainland-based] and that there may be a chance with this one...I believe Sam and the chairman went through the options on Tuesday afternoon and are getting very busy...I can't say when this will come out, but I do think there is an amount of hope that it will happen...and the purse strings have been slackened.

Wish I had more for you on the name, but that would spoil the fun. Fair play to those who figured out the Sturridge-Di Santo connection.

For one or two Burnley fans out there...Coyley has now asked Hamiltpn to sell him David Easton, a Scotland under-21 and B international, along with James McCarthy. Sorry if it offends to mention it here, but it saves about 20 PMs.

In other news...Wigan are going to sign another Honduran [the midfielder Hendry Thomas]...and Ince is getting all lovey with MK Dons but may yet reject it if they have no dough.

Mobile is being left on overnight because there are about 20 contacts under orders to get me the name of the striker. Obsessive? Moi?

thank u nicko ur still a tease tho!

Not in the slightest - if I knew I would share. It is one of those that drives me up the wall as much as you. I want this scalp if I can get it.

Nicko, do the think we are at a stage to have put a bid in or just put the feelers out?

You usually only put a bid in if [a] you think the club will sell or you think the player will come. I think there is a lot of work being done to establish both of those things with this one specific target.

Nicko, I know you prob can't answer this but i'll try anyway.

Do you really really think that this will be worth getting excited about, and is there any chance of RVN coming to Rovers?

If I knew his name I would tell you and give you a view. But I don't. I just know that something big is definitely on.

I can't see the Ruud thing because of his wages. There is very little chance that you can match his wages or offer him a deal over the next two or three years that would make it up.

And his current fitness - never mind a medical - would scare the snot out of the club.

nicko: can you confirm that it is possible cordozo might be the guy?

Cardozo certainly has the ability and the height and he is Paraguayan which makes him a sexy Roque replacement.

But the price is huge.

If you asked me to stab at a price for a signing I would say £7 to £8 million.

Cardozo would be £10 to £12 million. If you got it lower he would be ideal.

Archived