BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Can We Stay In Dublin?

Cletus, I am sorry you didnt have a good experience in Ireland, dublin is a kip anyway! Anyone from outside of the pale, dont really like living there anyway and the ones that say they do are only lying!!

Come to Limerick or Cork when Munster are playing in Thomond or Musgrave Park, and you will have a much better time and not get ripped off.

I`ll certainly bare that in mind. My uncle is a keen outdoor persuit-ist (running, walking, cycling, climbing etc...) he goes to Eire every year to visit rellies & take in the wonderful scenery. He loves the place, but hates Dublin ;)

Around 4 euro but you could probably find a pint of the black for about 3.50

If you are coming for a trip or short stay I would really recommend Dingle (dont let the name put you off) Its called An Daingen (as its in the gaeltacht) a predominantly Irish speaking part of the country, but its stunning and you wont beat it for the craic!

You could probably fly into Farranfore (Kerry Airport) and then its only a short drive to Dingle from there. Buts its a great spot

Around 4 euro but you could probably find a pint of the black for about 3.50

Rip off! :o About what I pay in Dublin!

If you are coming for a trip or short stay I would really recommend Dingle (dont let the name put you off) Its called An Daingen (as its in the gaeltacht) a predominantly Irish speaking part of the country, but its stunning and you wont beat it for the craic!

You could probably fly into Farranfore (Kerry Airport) and then its only a short drive to Dingle from there. Buts its a great spot

I love Co Kerry, stayed in Killarney a few times, in fact almost got arrested there once!

Rip off? You must be joking?

Its all relative isnt it!

Witht he Euro being so strong against the pound that is expensive for us Brits (and obviously the reason that the supermarkets just over the border are doing a roaring trade with Irish wandering over to do their shopping!)

We were paying 4Euro a pint last Monday and Tuesday in Dublin. So not much difference out in the country!

We still love Dublin despite the prices, but are keen to try a few other places. Next time Mr O leary lets us fly for a quid think we're gonna take you up on your suggestion.

Unfortunately they didn`t sell "I GOT RIPPED OFF IN DUBLIN" t-shirts....which is a shame, cos they`d sell thousands!!! :unsure:

Got back from Dublin last night & tbh none of us were impressed with the place.

Many thanks for all the advice from everybody on here. The prices were nothing short of extortionate to say the least!!

I paid 6.10 euros for a pint of lager in one pub (we didn`t stay long) & a round of four drinks (3 pints lager & 1 small glass of wine) came to an astonishing 23.60 euros in another boozer!

We stayed at the Ripley Court hotel in Talbot St. It was a decent place & the staff were good.

The Temple Bar was an expensive plastic version of what tourists 'think' Dublin pubs should be like.

We went in two non-tourist pubs & found them rather unwelcoming. Upon leaving one of them my mate heard somebody say "eff off you English c####"....which was nice. Pity they didn`t say that before we spent 20-odd euros on drinks.

Generally after visiting a new place, we give it the 'litmus test'

The litmus test being the questions....

1...Did you enjoy?

2...would you go again?

3...would you recommend it to your friends & family?

I`m sorry to say Dublin failed on all 3 of our litmus test questions :(

The only good points of the trip were Muse being absolutely fantastic (as usual) & the 1st pub we went in (hard rock cafe). The lad behind the bar asked where we came from. We said Blackburn & he shouted the other bar lad over, he is a Rovers season ticket holder! :tu:

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. Dublin is an utter sh!thole for the most part and a ridiculously expensive one at that. I would recommend many other places down South however wherever you go, the arm will be in your pocket.

Belfast is far superior as a tourist destination.

Its all relative isnt it!

Witht he Euro being so strong against the pound that is expensive for us Brits (and obviously the reason that the supermarkets just over the border are doing a roaring trade with Irish wandering over to do their shopping!)

We were paying 4Euro a pint last Monday and Tuesday in Dublin. So not much difference out in the country!

We still love Dublin despite the prices, but are keen to try a few other places. Next time Mr O leary lets us fly for a quid think we're gonna take you up on your suggestion.

The euro is weak agaisnt the pound, isnt it? For a pound you will get 1.11 euro. Agreed there isnt much difference, but still anywhere outside of dublin will be cheaper I'd imagine.

The thing with the trade in NI, is that its still cheaper to do shopping even against a stronger pound than shop in ROI

The euro is weak agaisnt the pound, isnt it? For a pound you will get 1.11 euro. Agreed there isnt much difference, but still anywhere outside of dublin will be cheaper I'd imagine.

The pound is weak, Euro is strong. Sterling has plummeted, not long since 1.40/1.50 was standard, making Irish prices semi sensible.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. Dublin is an utter sh!thole for the most part and a ridiculously expensive one at that. I would recommend many other places down South however wherever you go, the arm will be in your pocket.

Belfast is far superior as a tourist destination.

Visit Donegal, you get the best of both worlds that way :)

Prices down south are utter madness, Killarney is the only place in Ireland that comes close to the natural beauty of Donegal.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to Dublin for a long weekend in January to stay with friends in Dun Laoghaire. I'm trying to avoid them having to pick us up at the airport as I guess the road journey is pretty bloody. It seems the airport doesn't have a railway station so apart from taxi can anyone recommend a quick, comfortable way to do this? There seem to lots of buses and coaches, plus the DART but all the information I've found so far is very sketchy - good thing for Dublin we are determined to go and not easily put of!!

All my Googling keeps coming up with masses of ads and little real info. mad.gif

Cheers

The 746 goes from directly outside the airport to Dun Laoghaire via the City Centre, takes a while though.

Alternatively the 747 goes to the Central Bus Station, and the DART from Connolly (round the corner) takes about half an hour I think.

www.dublinbus.ie has the timetables.

We are going to Dublin for a long weekend in January to stay with friends in Dun Laoghaire. I'm trying to avoid them having to pick us up at the airport as I guess the road journey is pretty bloody. It seems the airport doesn't have a railway station so apart from taxi can anyone recommend a quick, comfortable way to do this? There seem to lots of buses and coaches, plus the DART but all the information I've found so far is very sketchy - good thing for Dublin we are determined to go and not easily put of!!

All my Googling keeps coming up with masses of ads and little real info. mad.gif

Cheers

There are no trains from the airport but there is a pretty good bus service. When you walk out of the arrivals hall they'll all be lined up over to your left - there's usually a conductor there telling people which bus to get to go where etc. An alternative is a private bus service called aircoach (www.aircoach.ie) that departs from the same area. It's very comforatble altho a bit more expensive than the public buses. It goes to pick points all over the city (mostly hotels etc) and one of the routes goes out towards leopardstown / sandymount which wouldn't be too far for your mates to come and pick you up from

Archived