BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Confederations Cup

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very disappointing crowd for the Spain game. Im hoping this isnt a sign of things to come for some of the WC matches next year.

New Zealand were amateurish in defending all game long.

The BBC kept pushing this angle, but it's nonsense.

The World Cup stadiums will be twice as full as that if only the delegates of the FAs involved and corporate sponsors show up. Pretty much no fans of the participating nations have travelled for what is essentially a week of friendlies and backslapping, and the tickets are priced so high that the only locals showing up are the construction workers who got in for free rather than have to send them to the important games next summer.

SA should be 1-0 up, header into an open goal and cleared off the line accidentally by his own team-mate. :lol:

The BBC has this down as a sitter on its website. There is no way that it's a sitter. The ball was about half a yard behind him.

It makes no sense charging the fans stupidly high prices. The same thing happened during the cricket tournament in the Caribbean. The locals couldn't afford to go and the lack of crowd just makes the tournament seem a joke. They should give out a percentage of tickets to local schools, community groups etc for free and then use the decent size crowds to test stewarding, policing methods for the upcoming World Cup.

It makes no sense charging the fans stupidly high prices. The same thing happened during the cricket tournament in the Caribbean. The locals couldn't afford to go and the lack of crowd just makes the tournament seem a joke. They should give out a percentage of tickets to local schools, community groups etc for free and then use the decent size crowds to test stewarding, policing methods for the upcoming World Cup.

When they first built the Allianz arena in Munich they did a test run at a minor game and discovered that the walkways approaching the ground were too narrow. Luckily they had left themselves time to deal with it before the real crowds turned up. That's the kind of thing South Africa should have been looking at doing

Very disappointing crowd for the Spain game. Im hoping this isnt a sign of things to come for some of the WC matches next year.

Sadly we were never gonna have a chance against Spain. The gap in skill between the world class players they have, and mid table A-League players what make up the bulk of the NZ team is huge.

The games against Iraq and South Africa are the ones we need to get up for. Hopefully we will get our first ever point in a FIFA tournament in one of these games.

Rather harsh Bobby. The crowd was poor, but the prices of the tickets are ridiculous. I also think that had Cape Town been ready to host a game, we would have packed the stadium for that Spain game. You must also remember that, when the World Cup starts, there are going to be so many travelling fans. In Germany, there were also a few games, where the stadiums were empty and that was in Europe. This whole recession means, that people wont spend to come and watch this event, and then have to splash out again for the World Cup. Fifa have got this wrong, and tickets should have been given away to the local schools and the poor community.

I don't follow this competition at all but had the idea it is for the "lesser" (for want of a better word) Southern Hemipshere, African, Asian teams? Please don't challenge my geography as I don't really know who is playing. Why are Spain there?

Iceman it said that on BBC that there was a lot of complaint about the prices, how much were the tickets ? Also I had never heard of the venue where is it in South Africa? Good luck with the rest of the competition.

Rather harsh Bobby. The crowd was poor, but the prices of the tickets are ridiculous. I also think that had Cape Town been ready to host a game, we would have packed the stadium for that Spain game. You must also remember that, when the World Cup starts, there are going to be so many travelling fans. In Germany, there were also a few games, where the stadiums were empty and that was in Europe. This whole recession means, that people wont spend to come and watch this event, and then have to splash out again for the World Cup. Fifa have got this wrong, and tickets should have been given away to the local schools and the poor community.

I don't know how high the ticket prices are but seems very silly to make them so people can't afford them.

In the World Cup, whilst there might have been empty seats, every ticket would've been paid for already. The way that they do the ticketing, especially when you get them at late notice you cannot refuse the ticket. It happened to us in Germany, we'd already got ticket for Italy vs Australia, then 24 hours before got allocated ticket to Switzerland vs Ukraine. We couldn't do both, but had to pay for the ticket anyway and let the seats be empty.

FIFA wouldn't care if 2 people were sat in the stadium by themselves so long as they've got the money for all 40,000 seats!

Iceman it said that on BBC that there was a lot of complaint about the prices, how much were the tickets ? Also I had never heard of the venue where is it in South Africa? Good luck with the rest of the competition.

Rustenburg, is basically in the north of SA, close to Johannesburg. Ticket prices were not cheap, and people had to apply for them as well in some instances.

There are basically 4 categories. In the group stages, tickets vary from 70 to 80 pounds, to about 10 pounds for category 4. In the semi finals, its also about 80 pounds, and the final 140 pounds, to about 21 pounds for category 4. Category 4 tickets wil be sold exclusively to SA residents but dont let that 10 pounds fool you. Most SA soccer fans, earn a wage of 100 pounds a month, and many are unemployed. Category 1 is for the best seats, and there are also prices for people who are disabled and are in wheel chairs. The whole ticket application for this tournament has been a farce, as i dont think you can buy tickets at the stadium. I could be wrong though, so ill check up on that.

Courtesy of Iceman:

Prices and Tickets for the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009

Ticket prices and where to buy tickets for the 2009 Confederations Cup Games in South Africa

The FIFA Confederations Cup, also known as the Festival of Champions, will be the first major test for hosts South Africa on the way to 2010. Tickets for the 2009 Confederations Cup are selling quickly, read on to see how much they cost and how you can buy them.

2009 Confederations Cup ticket prices in USD:

Stage Match Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3 W/chair

Group Round 1-12 100 50 30 10

Semi Finals 13-14 120 75 50 20

Playoff 15 100 50 30 10

Final 16 200 100 60 30

2009 Confederations Cup ticket prices in ZAR:

Stage Match Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3 Cat 4 W/chair

Group 1-12 700 350 210 70 70

Semi Finals 13-14 840 525 350 140 140

Third Place 15 700 350 210 70 70

Final 16 1400 700 420 210 210

Category 4 tickets are reserved for South African residents and will be sold exclusively in ZAR. With these tickets, FIFA and the LOC intend to enable South African residents on low incomes to attend matches.

Locations of the stadiums can be found in our 2010 Google Earth Map.

While category 4 tickets will be sold exclusively to South African residents, tickets in categories 1, 2 and 3 (with category 1 tickets providing the best seats) will be sold on a worldwide basis, both on the international and domestic South African market.

How to buy tickets for the 2009 Confederations Cup

Non-residents of South Africa i.e. members of the International General Public can apply for FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 tickets in the following ways:

1. Online: visit the FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 ticketing website.

2. Ticket Application Form: FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 Ticket Application Forms will be available in a downloadable PDF version via the ticketing webpage of FIFA.com

Once completed, you will have to return your Ticket Application Form to the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Ticketing Centre via post or fax.

Residents of South Africa can apply for FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 tickets in the following ways:

1. Ticket Application Form: FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 Ticket Application Forms are available from all First National Bank (FNB) branches.

2. Online: visit the FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 ticketing website.

The main ticketing centre at Sandton Isle (situated at the corner of Rivonia Road and Linden Street, Sandown/Johannesburg) will be open from 1 May 2009, while the venue ticketing centres at Mangaung/Bloemfontein (Lochlogan Waterfront Mall, situated at the corner of Charles Street and 1st Avenue), Tshwane/Pretoria (Brooklyn Mall, situated at the corner of Middel and Fehrsen Street, New Muckleneuk) and Rustenburg (Waterfall Mall, 1 Augrabies Avenue) will be open from 4 May 2009. The ticket centres will be open from 09:00 - 18:00, seven days a week.

South African residents will be able to purchase FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 tickets by calling the FIFA ticketing call centre on 083 2010 010 from 11 May 2009.

From 11 May, four ticket collection points (two each in Johannesburg and Tshwane/Pretoria) will be provided in the following FNB(Bank) branches:

- Eastgate Shopping Centre, Gardenview 2047

- Maponya Mall, Old Potchedstroom Road, Klipspruit Kliptown

- Sunny Park, situated at the corner of Esselen and Trevenna

Road, Sunnyside

- Hatfield, Hillcrest Blvd Shopping Centre, Lynwood Road

Cracking game between Brazil and Egypt. 3-3 at the moment, after Egypt were 3-1 down. Like i mentioned, the lad from Egypt Mohammad Aboutrika has been superb. Deffinately a play we could sign, as he still plays in Egypt.

Cracking game between Brazil and Egypt. 3-3 at the moment, after Egypt were 3-1 down. Like i mentioned, the lad from Egypt Mohammad Aboutrika has been superb. Deffinately a play we could sign, as he still plays in Egypt.

Agreed, big thumbs up for Egypt from me.

I hadn't had the chance to see Zidan before today. I was expecting someone smaller and just quick but actually he's built like a tank - Roberts like - but looks like he can finish as well.

Not sure, as i was watching a bit of it while at work. But Aboutrika and Mohammad Zidan are tormenting Brazil. Now if only our scouts could have taken my info, eh Hughesy lol

Shikabala?

Is that lad dubbed the Egyptian David Beckham playing...the one we were meant to be after?

What was the name of that Egyptian we are looking at? If it's the number 3, he looks really decent.

And I just saw LeChuck asking, too.

Yeah, Number 3 is El Mohammadi (or whatever seems to be spelt different ways). Came on in the second half. Done OK so far.

Archived