BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Life Of A Legend

I watched the womens European cup final at Ewood Park between Germany and Norway and that game was similar to how football used to be played.

Obviously the men were a lot rougher but that game was slower, plenty of skill, no spitting, no diving, no arguing with the ref, no surrounding the ref etc.

In the 50s and 60s full backs were a lot slower. There were more cloggers in a team who could be easily beaten by a twinkletoes. Nowadays a team is full of superb athletes and three of them don't play for 90 minutes. A truly gifted player now isn't allowed to show his skills. He is conveniently man handled off the ball. A player like Ronaldo would have been unstoppable and opposition players would have applauded him on occasion.

Finally, don't denounce today's football as crap. Look at Barcelona; Arsenal a couple of seasons ago; the complete teamwork of Manchester United.

Appreciate what you can see in the present.

I didn't really appreciate Matt Jansen enough until now that he has gone.

I agree with you about the Barca's , Arsenal and even the Red Rats. They play sublime football at times. However there's a hell of a lot of very dull teams playing dull football in the Prem at the moment. Apart from the top four how many teams come to Rovers and set out to try and win the game. In those days every team came to Ewood and tried to win, they might have got battered but they set out to win the game. There was no parking of the bus in front of the goals by the away team like you see most of the time now. Not all the full backs were poor, try telling that to anybody who saw Keith Newton play. He's still the best full back we've had in my life time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how the team from the early-late sixties would have fared against the prem winning side, if all things where equal, fitness pace of the game and so on.

Could you play it on FM or something like that, did they not do it with two boxers, can't remember which two.

That's amazing! I suppose Dougans predecessor was Tommy Johnston and who succeeded Roy Vernon when he was transfered to Everton?

Ah! Got it! Bimpson Dobing Dougan Douglas McLeod?

/quote]

Basically Dougan replaced Tommy Johnson for 4 games at the end of the 59-60 season ( Dobing , Swindells, and Cairns had all been tried up front first after Johnson left). Roy Vernon left at the end of January 1960. Vernon missed 12 games that season before he left, Douglas also missed 14 games in that period.

Just had a recount it was 7 league games and 2 cup ties.

Games all 5 played in.

1958-59 season

Arsenal A drew 1-1

Forest H won 4-0

Forest A drew 1-1

1959-60 season

Fulham H won 4-0

Burnley H won 3-2

Forest H drew 1-1

Sunderland A FA cup drew 1-1

Wolves H lost 0-1

Blackpool H FA cup drew 1-1

/quote]

Basically Dougan replaced Tommy Johnson for 4 games at the end of the 59-60 season

Surely that can't be right. Dougan was an established player and handed in his transfer request on the eve of the 1960 final, having played only three games? :blink:

Sorry, should be the previous season 1958-59. He came into the team towards the end of that season.

Dougan wasn't that good really in my memory. Best description that I can give to those that cannot rem him without being unkind is that he was similar to James Beattie in both style and ability.

Dougan wasn't that good really in my memory. Best description that I can give to those that cannot rem him without being unkind is that he was similar to James Beattie in both style and ability.

My memories of Dougan are that if he were to come to Ewood today we'd think the messiah had arrived. He was alright, up to his decision to want away on the 60's cup final eve.

He was just before my time really at Rovers so I can't say. I thought he was pretty handy at Wolves especially when he partnered Peter Knowles. He had a better touch than Beattie from what I remember. His temperament was always a problem though.

I never saw Cheyenne either, but fellow fans who did, tell me was dynamite. A big guy who knocked people about and could play as well.

That's about right. He was quick too with long legs that covered the ground deceptively fast.

He was a real coward though. I was once sitting on the grass at a cricket match chatting to him and his girl friend (beauty queen Valarie Martin [WOW!]) and had my dog with me, the tiniest yorkshire terrier you ever saw, and he was terrified. Insisted that Valerie sat between him and me. Suited me fine. :rolleyes:

There's a name I'd forgotten. Top class footballer, brother of Cyril, who gave up the game at 25 to become a jehovah's witness.

He missed his way Jim, could have been an all time great. A tall Matt Jansen for those who are new to this thread. Wolves kept his registration for the next TEN years, just in case he changed his mind !

Dougan was a far better player than Beatty. I would liken him more to RSC than Beatty.

I still detest the guy for what he did in 1960.

Cyril Knowles played for Spurs and it was this man that the Spurs supporters sang about thus:-

"Nice one, Cyril. Nice one, son. Nice one, Cyril. Let's 'ave another one."

What????

I was at Maine Road for the cup semi final v Sheff Wed, Dougan took the then England top Centre Half Peter Swan and Tony Kay to pieces!!

He was so good he could pass better with his head than most could with their feet, Jimmy Mclroy in his autobiography said he commiteed a foul on Dougan who was far quicker than he thought, he had pace, good in the air,good on the floor, his only downfall in his younger days was that he was a bit of a nutcase.

Dougan had at least two seasons at Rovers, came from Portsmouth. (1959 to 1961 scored 26 goals in 59 appearances!!)

In my opinion, worth twice the money of Santa Cruz, as for likening him to Beattie is like comparing Tugay and Keith Andrews, Dougan was really top notch,

his only downfall being his stupidity as a young lad, but his ability was never in question.

In my opinion, worth twice the money of Santa Cruz, as for likening him to Beattie is like comparing Tugay and Keith Andrews, Dougan was really top notch,his only downfall being his stupidity as a young lad, but his ability was never in question.

Yet he only played for bottom half teams as in the likes of us, AV, Pompey and Leicester before being signed by Wolves who were then in the 2nd Div. :rolleyes:

I think your memories are somewhat affected by misty eyed nostalgia kelbo. In fact if he was playing now with just short of 60% imported players playing in the Prem and elbowing aside home grown players it's more than likely that DD would be plying his trade in the Championship.

Yet he only played for bottom half teams as in the likes of us, AV, Pompey and Leicester before being signed by Wolves who were then in the 2nd Div. :rolleyes:

I think your memories are somewhat affected by misty eyed nostalgia kelbo. In fact if he was playing now with just short of 60% imported players playing in the Prem and elbowing aside home grown players it's more than likely that DD would be plying his trade in the Championship.

Quote from Website!!

He was then leading marksman at Wolves in 1967-68, 1968-69 and 1971-72. He also netted a hat-trick in the UEFA Cup against Académica, becoming the only Wolves player to date to have scored a hat-trick in a major European competition. His tally of 12 goals in European competition is also a club record. Four days before that game, Dougan had also netted three goals when Wolves beat Nottingham Forest in a league match.

He was one of the best in is time, not nostalgia, ask both Douggie and Clayton, the only reason he played lower league was his stupidity, technically as good s I have seen and if you really believe that (and I speak as a football coach) I wonder what you are looking for in a player.

First touch, arial ability, link play and strike rate as good as it gets, he matured and the quality came through at Wolves, but to compare to Beattie :rolleyes:

No contest, cleaning boots comes to mind!!

As I said I can't remember much about his time at Ewood . I saw more of him later on when he'd got his career back on track at Leicester and then Wolves. He had a nice touch for a big guy and could beat people with ball at his feet . He had a good shot in both feet , led the line cleverly, had decent pace, was strong in the air and a decent finisher. Like thenodrog said, pretty average really ! ! Doog or Roberts ? Give me a milli-second to think about that one.

That Swedish striker with the Slavic name is a better faster version of the Doog I remember. - Ibrahamavic ?

Seems strange to be talking about Dougan ( one of the most disloyal players ever to play for us ) in a topic about Bryan Douglas ( one of the most loyal )

It's been great reading comments and memories about Duggie - who really was a great player. I remember as a a kid being amazed and in a funny way kind of sad when I used to see Bryan at his stall on Clitheroe market. Yes, that was when he was still playing for Rovers and England . How times have changed. How much would Dougie be worth in today's crazy prices I wonder ? Someone earlier mentioned not remembering Duggie scoring any headers. I remember a goal he scored with his head when amazingly he leaped above the entire defence at a corner ( it was actually disallowed as it turned out he'd he used Mike England's shoulders to jump up on . I remember there was some discussion about ungentlemanly conduct or something ) I was always impressed with how he changed from being an out and out winger with the No 7 shirt to a midfield general with the No 10 shirt.

Thanks Bryan for all the great memories.

Seems strange to be talking about Dougan ( one of the most disloyal players ever to play for us ) in a topic about Bryan Douglas ( one of the most loyal )

It's been great reading comments and memories about Duggie - who really was a great player. I remember as a a kid being amazed and in a funny way kind of sad when I used to see Bryan at his stall on Clitheroe market. Yes, that was when he was still playing for Rovers and England . How times have changed. How much would Dougie be worth in today's crazy prices I wonder ? Someone earlier mentioned not remembering Duggie scoring any headers. I remember a goal he scored with his head when amazingly he leaped above the entire defence at a corner ( it was actually disallowed as it turned out he'd he used Mike England's shoulders to jump up on . I remember there was some discussion about ungentlemanly conduct or something ) I was always impressed with how he changed from being an out and out winger with the No 7 shirt to a midfield general with the No 10 shirt.

Thanks Bryan for all the great memories.

He changed to inside forward when the coward from Leeds almost ended his career, maybe Wilber Cush, cant remember but he was number 6, dreadful career ending tackle and took some of Douggies pace away!!

Tyrone's piece about Duggie brought tears to my eyes. Still my greatest Rover EVER.

My best memory of Bryan however was not playing for Rovers, but for England at Hampden. I was but a young boy amid a crowd of 134,000, mainly Scots, the year was 196? and Duggie systematically took Scotland apart.

How proud to be a Rover that day.

The headline in the Scottish Suday's was "Black Douglas of England"

He changed to inside forward when the coward from Leeds almost ended his career, maybe Wilber Cush, cant remember but he was number 6, dreadful career ending tackle and took some of Douggies pace away!!

I don't recall the incident you refer to Kelbo, all I know is Bryan had been playing No 10 for two seasons at least before we ever played Leeds Utd ( they were promoted for season 1964/65) and we played them home and away over Xmas 1964. Maybe something occured in those games ?

Knowing what we all know about Leeds and Revie I wouldn't be surprised if they'd targeted Dougie. There'd be plenty of candidates for your No 6 as well. Norman Hunter ? My choice would be a guy called Willie Bell. An all round hatchet man. I remember him and Mike Summerbee of City having a game without the ball, they kicked each other black and blue. I liked the rough stuff but it was scary just watching them on T.V.! The referee knew the score and just let them get on with it. I'd have loved to have seen him mark Ronaldo !

?

Knowing what we all know about Leeds and Revie I wouldn't be surprised if they'd targeted Dougie. There'd be plenty of candidates for your No 6 as well. Norman Hunter ? My choice would be a guy called Willie Bell. An all round hatchet man. I remember him and Mike Summerbee of City having a game without the ball, they kicked each other

Could have been Johnny Giles; dirty little so-and-so but then the Leeds team was full of them.

Great to talk about these old players - might have been 100 years ago such have been the changes in the game since then.

Great to talk about these old players - might have been 100 years ago such have been the changes in the game since then.

Football is nothing without memories Jim. The recollections of the guys who go back further than me should be kept forever. The technology is there to do it now, - I mean - who knows anything much about the players who represented our great club in the 30s and 40s? Once the fans had passed away, there was nothing left. What a great shame.

I don't recall the incident you refer to Kelbo, all I know is Bryan had been playing No 10 for two seasons at least before we ever played Leeds Utd ( they were promoted for season 1964/65) and we played them home and away over Xmas 1964. Maybe something occured in those games ?

Knowing what we all know about Leeds and Revie I wouldn't be surprised if they'd targeted Dougie. There'd be plenty of candidates for your No 6 as well. Norman Hunter ? My choice would be a guy called Willie Bell. An all round hatchet man. I remember him and Mike Summerbee of City having a game without the ball, they kicked each other black and blue. I liked the rough stuff but it was scary just watching them on T.V.! The referee knew the score and just let them get on with it. I'd have loved to have seen him mark Ronaldo !

It was before the Hunter Bremner time and it happened just in front of the players tunnel!!

Leeds played on Blue nd Yellow that day (yellow shirts with Blue sleeves!! I think :wacko:

Archived