BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Life Of A Legend

It was before the Hunter Bremner time and it happened just in front of the players tunnel!!

Leeds played on Blue nd Yellow that day (yellow shirts with Blue sleeves!! I think :wacko:

I didn't realise we were going back that far. According to Mike Hickmans " Blackburn Rovers a Complete History" Rovers played Leeds United at Ewood on the 22nd of November 1958, losing 4-2. Duggie played that day on the right wing. His next game was against Burnley at Ewood in the F.A.Cup on January 28th 1959. So he was out for over two months following that Leeds game. Did the Leeds player got a severe letting off or even a booking ? I bet he didn't get the early bath.

Funnily enough Duggie played every game after the Burnley cup tie onwards until the return game with Leeds at Elland Road when he didn't play. He also missed the remaining 4 games of that season.

Team for the Leeds game at Ewood -------

Jones

Taylor

Eckersley

Clayton

Woods

McGrath

Douglas

Dobing

Johnson

Vernon

McCleod

Scorers McCleod, Vernon.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leeds played on Blue nd Yellow that day (yellow shirts with Blue sleeves!! I think :wacko:

That was always Leeds' strip (hence their nickname the Peacocks) until Don Revie changed it to all white in honour of his favourite team Real Madrid.

Tyrone,

Thanks for that, I was only 11 but do remember the tackleand where it was, if you could find the Leeds team I would know who the bugger was who cropped him!!

Jim, thanks for the colored shirt info, thought it was my age :(

I have to admit that I would have loved to have been a Rovers fans in the times of Douglas and Clayton,watching established England internationals turning out for the blue 'n' white every week and crowds of sometimes 50,000+ packed into Ewood.....must have been a pleasure to fans of that era.

Iturning out for the blue 'n' white every week and crowds of sometimes 50,000+ packed into Ewood.....

:lol::lol:

Wishful thinking dear boy. Crowds were in the 20,000 - 30,000 mark, similar to today.

Biggest I remember is 42,000 for a cup replay against ManCity in 1969. Dangerous it was too.

Wishful thinking dear boy. Crowds were in the 20,000 - 30,000 mark, similar to today.

Biggest I remember is 42,000 for a cup replay against ManCity in 1969. Dangerous it was too.

Correct. After attending that match I could never understand how Ewoods biggest crowd of all time (62000) could ever have been shoehorned in. There was simply no room to move ones arms from ones sides never mind anything else. Could one or the other have been telling porkies?

I think you will find 53,839 v Burnley in a cup replay in Wembley year 1960 - won 2 -0 in a replay after being 3 -0 down at the turd Moor, I went to both matches and sat over the wall on seats by the pitch!!

Just checked this with Mike Jackmans book as correct!!

I did say 55,000 but cheated and checked the records :-)

I didn't realise we were going back that far. According to Mike Hickmans " Blackburn Rovers a Complete History" Rovers played Leeds United at Ewood on the 22nd of November 1958, losing 4-2. Duggie played that day on the right wing. His next game was against Burnley at Ewood in the F.A.Cup on January 28th 1959. So he was out for over two months following that Leeds game. Did the Leeds player got a severe letting off or even a booking ? I bet he didn't get the early bath.

Funnily enough Duggie played every game after the Burnley cup tie onwards until the return game with Leeds at Elland Road when he didn't play. He also missed the remaining 4 games of that season.

Team for the Leeds game at Ewood -------

Jones

Taylor

Eckersley

Clayton

Woods

McGrath

Douglas

Dobing

Johnson

Vernon

McCleod

Scorers McCleod, Vernon.

I'm not surprised we lost that day with Bob Jones in goal. He was average to say the least. Ken Taylor wasn't up to much either.

Leeds' strip was known as blue and gold, the city's colours.

I'm not surprised we lost that day with Bob Jones in goal. He was average to say the least. Ken Taylor wasn't up to much either.

Leeds' strip was known as blue and gold, the city's colours.

Agreed and Harry Leyland wasnt much better, Matt Woods spent a career shouting at him!! :lol:

Agreed and Harry Leyland wasnt much better, Matt Woods spent a career shouting at him!! :lol:

Bit late with reply, a little harsh on HarryLeyland,Harry was what he was watched him against man u 58\59i think, Bobby Charlton hit a screamer from about 30 yds Harry flew the air and put it on to the post the rebound went straight back to B\C who let fly again goal we sighed but Harry who had a michelin look about him came off the floor like an Exocet Missile and saved again.Thanks for the memories Rovers past and present. Ancient

Archived