BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New - Iphone 3gs

Apple have announced details of their latest version of the iPhone which is due to be released next friday (19th June).

Looks like they havent added much to be honest - they have improved the speed that its runs with a new faster processor, it has a new camera (but still poor at 3m), it also has a few other new functions like being able to record Videos and then upload them straight to Youtube.

Il be getting one I think...because iv been considering buying an iPhone since Xmas but thought id wait for the new version. Is it the daddy of phones or has someone out there got a bad view of the iPhone through experience?

Also has a few other functions like the compass and the voice control (see below)

"Apple has built in phenomenal voice control. Hold down the home button on the iPhone 3G S and a voice control interface appears. It works in any app, and lets you say simple commands. Say out loud “play songs by The Killers” and it’ll do just that. Whisper “What’s playing now?” and the iPhone will tell you. You can even say “play more songs like this” and the iPod software’s Genius function will kick in"

Im gutted because thats the day I go away, would there be anyway I could get one early that morning? Does anyone know of any shops that would be opening at say midnight to sell it?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The touch-screen texting function isn't great and takes some getting used to, and the Camera on mine (the 3g version from last Summer) is pretty poor.

However, the internet browsing function more than makes up for these niggles. Tons of handy apps available too.

The Camera has been improved alot they say - auto everything on it (Focus, Light etc) apparently. Also something about you being able to touch the screen for the camera to focus on one particular area which you are trying to take the pic of.

The biggest +point for me has to be the massive Apps store.

Was considering that one Neekoy. Its a battle between N97 and the iPhone for me.

To be fair I havent seen much about the N97 lately (It was on my radar months ago when it was announced) - does anyone know if many apps have been created for the N97 yet?

Guest Wen Y Hu
Was considering that one Neekoy. Its a battle between N97 and the iPhone for me.

To be fair I havent seen much about the N97 lately (It was on my radar months ago when it was announced) - does anyone know if many apps have been created for the N97 yet?

Simple question, hughesy: Are you on a Mac or a Windows PC?

I moved over to Macs a few years ago and got my iPhone this spring. It's the business. Syncing, apps - absolutely love it. If you're on a Mac, definitely go for it.

Cant wait to upgrade. I have SE P1i, and it sucks. Ill never go for SE again, its the 1st and last time. Might look at Samsung Innov8 or HTC S740 Rose. Btw the Iphone is @#/?, Omnia is better. Plays divx if im correct in saying. The Omnia's interface is very niggly, and if you drop and break the screen its going to cost you. Some advice, dont go for full touch screen because if something happens to the screen you are fooked. Look for a slide out full qwerty keyboard phone. I know i dont like SE but Hughesy the Sony Ericsson Experia is really great. Check it out at www.gsmarena.com where you also get opinions from other people.

Options

SE Experia

Samsung Innov8

Samsung I900 Omnia

HTC S740 Rose

Nokia E75

Cheers

PC user - will that matter though?

I'm a PC user and have no problems at all using the iphone. I use it for business and can sync contacts (using the funambol app) and the calendar with the google calendar.

Beware jailbreaking your phone - you could leave yourself open to security issues in the future. The iphone is effectively a portable computer always connected to a network of some description.

Guest Wen Y Hu
PC user - will that matter though?

As mentioned above, the iPhone is basically a handheld computer running Mac OS X (albeit a kind of slimline version), so if you'd been a Mac user, I'd have said it would be easier to say "go for the iPhone" - it's an awesome combination. Since you're a PC user, however, this doesn't apply. I'd check out which file types you might be wanting to use and see whether they will run on the iPhone, though.

The one small niggle I have with the iPhone is that you are tied in to iTunes and can't send tracks and pics by bluetooth. The bluetooth is just for things like hands free earpieces. At least it was. Anyone know if this has been rectified with the 3GS?

I've got a Nokia 5800 and I'm pretty pleased with it. Had to buy the handset directly from Nokia though because O2 only offer the red stripe version (not the beer). I had to go for the blue stripe. An obvious choice really...!

Archived