BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New - Iphone 3gs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jailbreaking in itself isn't illegal though. The legal issue arises when people feel the need to steal the apps.

Actually jailbraking it isn't illigal at all

Jailbreak your iPhone, and take it to the Apple store and see if your Warranty is still valid. It is illegal because you are tampering with the Apple software by "hacking" into it.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a new phone and while I like the look of the iPhone don't see it as something I must have. My phone will do / have the following:

Wi Fi

GPS

Sat Nav

Bluetooth

Good Outlook integration

Today I went into Orange (current provider) and O2 (better reception at work / home) and put the above to them. Neither suggested the iPhone. I like Orange and have been with them for 15 years but having moved to a new site 18 months ago find the reception there is not good. O2, which everyone else uses has good reception. Service in the O2 shop and on the phone when I have made enquiries has been rubbish. Service from Orange is very good, IMV. My bill is around £80-100 / month so I'm a good customer.

O2 suggested the Palm Pre, which I didn't like much, seems rather clumpy and the keys are minute. Orange suggested a whole range of phones, some pretty good and then said the iPhone would do everything but the bluetooth is dodgy and will not talk to all types of bluetooth - which all my Nokias have done.

I have a Parrot hands free car kit. Does anyone have experience of Bluetooth with iPhone. Is it a problem or not. Handsfree in car operation is very important to me, not that I use it a lot but I want to be safe and legal when I do.

I have an iPhone business account with O2 - the 'phone does all I want which covers all your list, although I don't use Bluetooth so can't comment on this aspect. It does everything else you are looking for really well, though including Outlook interface.

Having said all that, I'm interested to see what the new Google 'phone is like and won't be renewing my iPhone contract until I've been able to compare the two.

I'm interested to see what the new Google 'phone is like and won't be renewing my iPhone contract until I've been able to compare the two.

Yes that caught my eye as well but I haven't looked into yet. I wonder if being the firts one it's likley to have problems? Second generation on these things is often much better.

Bluetooth is sometimes tricky to send things - so not sure about hands-free....although if Jailbroken im sure it wouldnt be a problem.

All the rest you mention is covered easily, without problems - especially linking email accounts etc to it!

The world of Apps are also great once you have the possibility to get them.

The new google phone - is effectively the 2nd Android phone though, so hopefully the first batch of problems will of been fixed. One thing I dont like is the roll-ball on the new phone - they are usually very easily damaged.

It uses Pandora for Music - and therefore you need to get unlimited data usage as it makes a heavy strain on the wireless network.

Thing with the iphone is that it is massive now accross the market and its full of apps, many of them are very useful.

Probably worth looking at the Nokia N900 as well - currently only at Carphone Warehouse on Vodafone, but will be on all the major networks soon.

Carphone Warehouse / Nokia N900

Also on the horizon is the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (Android) - fantastic specification although mixed early reviews on various teccy websites.

And there's also the HTC HD2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 instead of Android, but currently only on O2 and T-Mobile in this country.

Have you tried the Nokia n97 mini Paul :tu:

My work gave me a Nokia 97 Mini recently. I gave it to my wife. Horrid, horrid phone with a horrid interface. OK, I might be being a little harsh on it but I wouldn't have one personally. My wife does seems quite happy with it and it comes with 8gb on board with a Micro-SD card slot for more memory.

And there's also the HTC HD2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 instead of Android, but currently only on O2 and T-Mobile in this country.

I have the original HTC Touch HD which is a fantastic phone. I've had it a year and when it came out it beat the (then only 3g, not 3gs) iphone in just about every aspect. The Gadget show reviewed it and it won on speed, time to write and send email, power consumption, screen etc. Of course the Gadget show being what it is finsihed with "but its windows and the iphone is apple" so the iphone won. Could never figure that one out.

The Apple 3gs can now do everything the HD can apart from multi-tasking. I can hook it up via my 3.5" headphone socket to my car stereo, set music off playing (I've added a £30 16GB microSD card), switch to Tom Tom and still take calls over the bluetooth (works perfectly with the car bluetooth).

Yes, its windows under the bonnet but it does everything. The only real advantage (couldn't care less about multi gestures) I can see the iphone has over my phone is the extensive app store. You can however find most things for free that you would want for windows mobile (exept games which do seem to be few and far between).

Dont like the N97 either - its abit clunky and not great. The N95 was a super older phone, but they havent really replaced that yet with a much better version.

Iphone can multitask too - think there is an app to allow it.... :rolleyes:

All games are obviously free too if you jailbreak an iphone.

Iphone can multitask too - think there is an app to allow it.... rolleyes.gif

Don't you have to also jailbreak the phone to get proper multitasking apps to work? Most normal users don't want to do this.

I've just read an article on google maps "latitude" feature which shows people where you are in the world on google maps itself. This works happily on Blackberry, Symbian, Android, and Windows Mobile however google had to release a different version for the iphone as third-party apps cannot work in the background. Therefore (if you really want to do this) you can't have this running all the time, unlike all other modern mobiles.

It looks like some 3rd party apps are now being allowed some access to background processes but apple protects this took much as they don't want battery life to suffer.

Not sure if it needs to be jailbroken but they can multi-task I know that.

Jailbreaking everyone should do, it allows you things like 3rd party apps to access background stuff like you say + things like Unrestictor for apps like Sky sports are useful.

Jailbreaking everyone should do

Barmy. Why would you enter into a 24 month contract at 30 quid a month, and then immediately do something that the phone manufacturer and network operator forbid you from doing ... thereby invalidating any warranty??

Just get a phone which does what you want!

My work gave me a Nokia 97 Mini recently. I gave it to my wife. Horrid, horrid phone with a horrid interface. OK, I might be being a little harsh on it but I wouldn't have one personally. My wife does seems quite happy with it and it comes with 8gb on board with a Micro-SD card slot for more memory.

I agree that it takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're moving to a touch screen for the first time, but it does become a lot easier to use after a few days.

The N97 mini comes with a hugely overhauled OS compared with the original N97 Hughesy.

Barmy. Why would you enter into a 24 month contract at 30 quid a month, and then immediately do something that the phone manufacturer and network operator forbid you from doing ... thereby invalidating any warranty??

But once you restore your phone back on iTunes, your warranty is valid again ;)

I've jailbroke my iPhone, and then I appeared to have a few pixels and heat bubbles on my screen, so I restored my iPhone on iTunes, and they had no idea that I jailbroke it, and replaced my iPhone.

Happy days!

Too easy Tris. wink.gif The last thing I need is 93,000 apps escaped or otherwise so all that stuff is irrelevant. Other than the GPS and SatNav (so I can get home when lost on my bike) I just need e-mail, calendar, contacts as I don't have time for anything else!!!!

Still haven't decided on a phone yet but very much appreciate the suggestions as some of these were not offered by the suppliers.

Too easy Tris. wink.gif The last thing I need is 93,000 apps escaped or otherwise so all that stuff is irrelevant. Other than the GPS and SatNav (so I can get home when lost on my bike) I just need e-mail, calendar, contacts as I don't have time for anything else!!!!

Still haven't decided on a phone yet but very much appreciate the suggestions as some of these were not offered by the suppliers.

From what I`ve read of your posts on this page the iphone may be very useful to you.

Hands free in the car, I have a special TOM TOM dock £100, I have the tom tom app on my phone £59.99 and the dock boosts your GPS signal and also has a speaker in, as well as being able to link it up to your car stereo.

And for bike riding their is a really good app in which it tells you your speed, distance, your work rate etc, proper analyses your work out.

Recently?

Iv managed to jailbreak and install installous or whatever its called....Also mxtube, ibluetooth, winterboard, tvout and unrestrictor.

Within the last year or so. The Upgrade project finished a few months back.

From what I`ve read of your posts on this page the iphone may be very useful to you.

Hands free in the car, I have a special TOM TOM dock £100, I have the tom tom app on my phone £59.99 and the dock boosts your GPS signal and also has a speaker in, as well as being able to link it up to your car stereo.

And for bike riding their is a really good app in which it tells you your speed, distance, your work rate etc, proper analyses your work out.

That sounds useful I shall do some research. I like the cycling bit as well. Thanks

Archived