BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Vs Roberts

I appreciate them both for their individual merits, but I'd have to choose McCarthy. He's managed to score goals despite a lack of match fitness. If anyone can shake him up in pre-season, it's Big Sam.

McCarthy is a form player full of techincal talent but low on physicality, 2 decent feet, creative, flair, can score from inside or outside the box (Outside seems a thing of the past though unfortunately)

I struggle to remember Benni scoring any goals for us from outside the box other than against Arsenal in the cup. Any others?

I would choose Benni first though. Despite his problems he does have the knack of finding the back of the net. Roberts is a good, honest trier but would be easier to replace. Basically he is a poor man´s Heskey and that says it all! Besides...stick Benni in for a full season and he will get you 15 goals at least thanks to his finishing if not his all-round support play. How much would it take to replace that?

If only Roberts could finish it would all be so different...every time I think back to his misses I physically shudder in horror...

Even though we are debating which is better the simple fact is they play better alongside each other than not.

This is almost a completely pointless debate. Benni and Jason couldn't be more different as players. If you asked me who I'd keep, strangely I'd find it really difficult to decide as Roberts is younger and could possibly improve whereas Benni is pure class when he's interested but is at the end of his career. They are really so different it is almost impossible to compare them.

I think it is. And I think everyone underestimates the psychological effect having a proven quality goalscorer has on both your own team (we only need one chance to snatch this) and on the opposition (we can't afford to let this guy have a chance thereby creating more space for others). Jason provides a different type of threat but if I was going to pick one I'd pick Benni.

think that pschological stuff works when the player your up agaainst is van persie......as i'm resigned before the game to him getting a couple against us or if your names torres. But i honestly don't think any premier league defender has a sleepless night before facing mccarthy, in fact i'm sure they'd prefer roberts not to be playing.

I struggle to remember Benni scoring any goals for us from outside the box other than against Arsenal in the cup. Any others?

Tottenham away in the game that Samba hit a last minute winner. Can't think of any others though.

Does it matter? As long as the ball ends up in the net, something that Roberts struggles to do. I'll grant you his all round game is better, but if we want a striker that has a good game and can't score buy Bobby Zamora.

As already stated on here they are 2 different type of players, but I would go for Benni as the better player, he has more skill about his game and doesn't seem to panic when 1 on 1 with the keeper, Roberts is a player who if he doesn't have to think about it he can put the ball in the net, but when he has time to think he seems to try to hard to score.

This is a complete no brainer: Benni every single time.

Give Benni a chance and he will score more often than Roberts will in the same situation.

A quality goal scorer is priceless in the PL which is why Roque is worth so much.

Roque is worth more because he has more to his game than scoring goals. He provides something different, which McCarthy doesn't. He can hold the ball up well, good in the air and is quite quick. However, I wouldn't class Roque as a prolific goalscorer. He does not fall into the same catergory as McCarthy, as we all know 9 times out 10, McCarthy will put away a one on one oppurtunity. That is not the case with Roque, I wouldn't say he is instinctive, or a natural finisher, just inbetween.

If Roque does stay, it would be interesting to see how he copes without the quality service of Bentley, we didn't see much of him this season to show how much he missed his delivery.

A fully fit McCarthy would give Roque a run for his money i'd say.

If the coaches at Rovers can get 'Big Bad Benni Mac' back in shape & showing a little more desire then I think he could be a major asset again. When you think about it, the partnership between Benni & Jason should really look as though it works better when they're both on the pitch, but for some reason, I dont think that it ever really has.

Technically Benni is far superior to Jason. Everything, from his touch, to his passing, movement in the box, finishing, just general ability to play the game for me makes him a better player. But to Jason's credit, for what he lacks in the technical side of the game, he makes up for in grit & determination, but unfortunately this isnt enough at Premiership level. He is an imposing athlete, with pace, strength, stamina & sheer power, but at the end of the day, his legs become more 'Jelly Like' the closer he gets to the goal, until he either falls over, or just gives the ball to the opposition keeper!!!

I dont dislike either player as they both have good points & bad points & you can never dislike a player who works as hard as Jason Roberts, or a player who has as much natural ability as Benni. But at the end of the day, Its Benni who gets my vote... just!!!

If we could find a player with the best attributes of both, Benni's ability & Jason's attitude & athleticism, and he was inside the Rovers transfer budget, we'd be reet!!!

If only we could transplant their brains. We would then have a superb striker in Jason with Benni's brain and technical ability, but still with his own power and pace. The only snag would then be what could we do with the now useless Benni? Oh I know! We could sell him to McDonalds to make burgers :)

The useless player would be the only player we'd have due to the fact that a player with all the attributes would be at one of Europe's big clubs.

The reason why both are at Rovers is that both have their limitations, if they didn't both would be at more glamourous clubs.

Does it matter? As long as the ball ends up in the net, something that Roberts struggles to do. I'll grant you his all round game is better, but if we want a striker that has a good game and can't score buy Bobby Zamora.

You've obviously ignored the stats that say when you take Benni's penalties away they score goals at the same rate.

I think the important thing to remember about Roberts is the task he was bought for. The summer we sold Bellamy we bought in Roberts. He was never bought to play alongside McCarthy. I distinctly recall it because i had the discussion with friends. Roberts would have been a near perfect partner for Bellamy. Big, strong and does the simple things. That physical presence next to Bellamy would have been very special. It wasn't a hard call to make really. Very similar striker partnership to the Welsh frontline Hughes depolyed. Hartson and Bellamy.

However, since Bellamy left and was replaced by McCarthy the partnership was disjointed. McCarthy won't work the channels as well as Bellers and i'm sure this is why the two of them rarely played together under any management. Ironically Roberts has had to take on the role more than anyone. Unfortunately for him he only has pace and not much else. This could well be the reason he stands out over McCarthy in the trying department. However, i agree that when he does work the channels and manages to get a run on goal he rarely makes the most of the opportunity.

I was such a huge fan of Bellamy that my view is perhaps a little tainted. I don't feel Roberts has played in his best role enough for us. Or let me re-phrase that. He has never played with a partner who brings the best out of him. I honestly believe if he had someone next to him with pace and energy he would be praised in all quaters. I think Le Chuck made the Heskey comparison earlier. This is spot on in my eyes. He would have been very similar. Heskey receives very similar criticism about his finishing. Yet he is still admired by those in the know. Roberts poor finishing won't have just been noticed by us humble fans. Top management must see this also. But i bet if he was available he would still have a few top flight managers willing to take him off our hands.

That isn't to say McCarthy wouldn't have either. But for me, considering the physical nature of our play i feel Roberts is more suited.

Benni is pure class when he's interested

Absolutetly ! We should never forget this. That is why he is so valuable to us, why he would be very difficult to replace, and why he is so frustrating.

Roberts great strength is his hustle and bustle up front. It is important in a striker to "occupy" the defence which is something that Roberts does very well and is something that Benni seems less inclined to do - although he could if he put his mind to it.

Archived