BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Franco Di Santo

It's the job of the manager and his team to run the rule over players gumboots. At all times too not just in a transfer window. No matter how much hot air is blown on here we simply don't have a part to play in it. Who had seen much of Samba or RSC 4 years ago? Warnock was a Lpool reserve going nowhere too... Bentley? The list is long.

Like Hughes and unlike Ince I think SA will get it right more times than he will get it wrong.

Don't have a problem with that - that's what they get paid for, but what I do have a problem with is everyone going on about how this is a great signing like he's a player we all know about when as far as i can see nobody has seen more than the odd reserve game on chelsea tv or a few minutes in a league or cup game. I don't mind the signing, but I do mind those who don't know jumping on the bandwagon as though they do, without a shred of evidence they could possibly have seen. If the info about him is out there to be seen so I can start raving too then I would like to know where. That's all.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't have a problem with that - that's what they get paid for, but what I do have a problem with is everyone going on about how this is a great signing like he's a player we all know about when as far as i can see nobody has seen more than the odd reserve game on chelsea tv or a few minutes in a league or cup game. I don't mind the signing, but I do mind those who don't know jumping on the bandwagon as though they do, without a shred of evidence they could possibly have seen. If the info about him is out there to be seen so I can start raving too then I would like to know where. That's all.

That works both ways as well Gumboots.

I would say that nobody on this site knows whether he will be able to hold down a regular first team place. Certainly, no-one is saying that he wont, - so the only objections to this proposed deal, is that there's no agreement to buy. So what? Why does that matter?

Who knows, - if he does well and Chelsea still don't see an opening in their team, maybe he'll be here for more than 12 months? It's happened before. Two years down the line and he might be open for sale - who knows?

Don't refuse an opportunity to bring in a [supposedly] top youngster simply because there's no current agreement to buy. Like Nicko says, there are other Prem managers who would take him.

It's not only that, but if this loan is a success, other similar opportunities could come our way in the future rather than being offered to other clubs. On the downside, Danny Simpson was found out fairly quickly at Rovers but again that could only be to our benefit in that we could be offered others such as Bentley giving us the chance of a good player and to make some cash.

Someone has probably mentioned this before - apologies if so.

• Backroom

I assume Nicko must've meant Di Santo has the potential to be better than Kuranyi & Zaki, as of yet playing in the Chilean league and Chelsea reserves isn't enough to suggest he is better than either.

Some people need to remember what our current situation is. To be able to get an extremely highly-rated youngster in on a loan for the season would be a great deal for us, as we have very little right now in the way of transfer funds. Then again, some people were expecting Luca Toni and Pavel Pogrebnyak :blink:

I'm not sure that there's "no way" we could ever sign him. If Chelsea get Sturridge and a bigger name this Summer (linked to Tevez this morning) and go on to win the league next year, Di Santo will find it very very difficult to break in to that side.

In an ideal World he shows plenty of potential next season without standing out too much, Chelsea have a storming season and we look to make it permanent next year. Anythings possible.

I agree, when we signed Bentley on loan nobody really thought that Arsenal would sell him but they did. They "insured" themselves against a bad decision by a huge sell-on clause!!

As you said T4E the best would be that he does well without being outstanding, BFS sees his potential and buys him for a relatively small fee and he THEN becomes a world beater!

All dreaming aside, I think that he will help us with our options and you can't under estimate the financial importance of gaining a higher league position as a result of him coming to Rovers.

Its Bentley all over again - we sign him, he does well, but there still isnt room at his old club. We go back and negotiate a deal for him with the player already hooked to wanting to play for us week in week out. 2 or 3 years later he leaves for £15m+ and we make a good profit.

Im all for this deal!

Can Rovers afford to go out and sign a giant goal-machine like Edin Dzeko? Nope. We have to rely on bargain buys or up and coming players. Even if Di Santo does well and returns to Chelsea, at least we'll be in a better position for next season - and perhaps have a healthier budget for the season ahead.

:rover: i'm really against loans between premiership clubs,in fact i would go as far to say they should be outlawed.hull had a centre forward from utd on loan who scored the winner at foolham that kept them in the premiership,premier players should either go abroad or into the championship,i would go as far as to say a team could survive in the premiership with players loaned from other premiership teams :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Guest benmaxwell
We could have bought Dzeko in January. If we sell Santa Cruz, Derbyshire and Zurab then we are looking at having a budget or probably around 15 million, that isn't bargain buy territory.

I don't buy into us not being able to find a decent replacement for Roque if we sold him either. Even if we sold him for £15 million. Surely we'd have around £7 million to find his replacement. We signed Bellamy, Bentley and Cruz for less...

:rover: i'm really against loans between premiership clubs,in fact i would go as far to say they should be outlawed.hull had a centre forward from utd on loan who scored the winner at foolham that kept them in the premiership,premier players should either go abroad or into the championship,i would go as far as to say a team could survive in the premiership with players loaned from other premiership teams :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Thats very true and pretty much how I feel - but whilst its the rules we may aswell use them as much as possible.

Eddie - Wolfsburg were top of the league, we were almost bottom (Therefore why would he join us?) They are also requesting £30m for Dzeko according to reports - how much do you actually think we could have got him for in jan??

i would go as far as to say a team could survive in the premiership with players loaned from other premiership teams

I thought premiership teams can only have a maximum number of loaned players? Especially from other premiership clubs...

He was linked with moves to a few clubs and seemed very interested in leaving in January. At the time the figure I saw quoted was 8-9 million euros.

But now they want £30m? So he has tripled in value in 5 months? I dont buy he was ever available for £8m. Anyway....

And where would we get £8m from? (Dont forget City wanted to pay it over 3 installements)

And how would we convince him to leave a title fight for a relegation fight?

i would go as far as to say a team could survive in the premiership with players loaned from other premiership teams :unsure::brfcsmilie:

Not possible though, I think you're only allowed a maximum of 2 players on loan from other Premier League clubs.

Is it just me or is the Transfer Topic full of peoples thoughts on Di Santo and this one is full of us being linked with other players!

Why are people making so much about this 'must play' clause. Some of you obviously know the facts of it and have seen the contract but in my mind it's probably just a gentlemen's agreement between the two clubs that he'll get his fair share of playing time otherwise Chelsea can recall him.

It's not going to be a case of we end up signing a flop who can't hit a barn door but we legally have to play him every game if he is fit.

:rover: i realise that you could not have the whole team on loan,but i thought you could have 3 or 4.nothing to stop the dingles using there good repore with fergie to borrow 2 excellent players from utd.say wellbeck and one off the brazillian twin full backs that would save them a fortune in the transfer market and strengthen there team :blink::brfcsmilie:

:rover: i realise that you could not have the whole team on loan,but i thought you could have 3 or 4.nothing to stop the dingles using there good repore with fergie to borrow 2 excellent players from utd.say wellbeck and one off the brazillian twin full backs that would save them a fortune in the transfer market and strengthen there team :blink::brfcsmilie:

I think the rules say 2 from your own league but I can't find them at the moment...

• Backroom

I can't buy into the fact that we have to play him regardless, I'm sure such a contract would border on illegal.

Sam has probably said that in all likliness he will play but thats just an assumption based on his potential talent.

I can't buy into the fact that we have to play him regardless, I'm sure such a contract would border on illegal.

Sam has probably said that in all likliness he will play but thats just an assumption based on his potential talent.

Yeah I don't think it was ever claimed that'd be in the contract, Chelsea just wanted to loan him to a team who were likely to play him plenty as you indicated.

Archived