BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derbyshire Leaves Rovers

Guest benmaxwell
is it 3 million pounds he's leaving for, or 3 million euros?

3 million Euros. 2.6 million pounds sterling.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only because of injury. Not cos he is better than a fit Santa Cruz, McCarthy or Roberts (not too many i's or o's at the end of those names either.

lets see... fit croque? no chance he never intended playing for us again as soon as he thought he was bigger than us, benni is class agree as for roberts id have had derbs over him any day.

and gally

Sad to see Matt go, but I do not believe he was Premier League quality. He loved the club and could be very useful after coming on from the bench, but he did not show enough quality to maintain his place in the side. He never seemed to make much of an input when starting games but hopefully he will do well in Greece for Olympiakos.

It a pretty cheap deal for a tried and tested England U21 international. I am sort of suprised a Championship team hasn't matched that sort of money, or even one of the promoted teams?

Agree. Having seen some ridiculous fees in recent years (e.g. Chopra to Sunderland), I think it is very cheap.

Suppose, it boosts our non-existent coffers....

• Backroom

Yep you're right, what kind of manager takes a team from the brink of oblivion to safety with a couple of games to spare.

Taking us down he is.

Guest benmaxwell

I think the sell on clause could benefit us in the long-term... If he keeps up with his quality last season a larger team will probably come in for him and we will get a percentage of the next sale...

lets see... fit croque? no chance he never intended playing for us again as soon as he thought he was bigger than us, benni is class agree as for roberts id have had derbs over him any day.

and gally

Then im really glad yor not the manager. There is no way that Gally is better than Roberts, there just isnt.

dirty cons, learn to punctuate.

Then im really glad yor not the manager. There is no way that Gally is better than Roberts, there just isnt.

dirty cons, learn to punctuate.

Glass houses and all that... hehe. :P

But yeah, if you wanna talk drivel about Big Sam join the Newcastle forum.

You want to keep a player who has proved that he is not good enough to start in the Premiership because he is a local lad. At best he is good sub to bring on but nothing more.

The money mentioned on other threads for Matty is good business for Rovers if true.

I don't think he has "proven" he is not good enough. He's been a great sub and was getting better. Has grown a lot from his lone move at Olympiacos. Perfect time to give him another try in the Prem.

And I don't see who we can get who is going to be a massive improvement. Pretty much every other Prem team will be able to offer more money for a big player than us.

Glass houses and all that... hehe. :P

But yeah, if you wanna talk drivel about Big Sam join the Newcastle forum.

most of them talk more sence then you do if we sign smith that yourkshire scumbag or barton that convict we be down to 9 men every gam face facts where ######

most of them talk more sence then you do if we sign smith that yourkshire scumbag or barton that convict we be down to 9 men every game face facts where ######

most of them talk more sence then you do if we sign smith that yourkshire scumbag or barton that convict we be down to 9 men every gam face facts where ######

Diouf, Savage, Bellamy. All players with chequered pasts, and all settled in comfortably at Ewood. Just goes to show, eh? But I would draw the line at Barton. He's had one too many chances in his career.

• Backroom

As long as it's around the 3M mark with a sell-on or buy back clause it's a good deal. Will never cut it in a top 10 premiership side, a lot of people are letting sentiment rule over common sense. I wish Derbs all the best in Greece, and I definately wouldn't rule out a return to Rovers in the future for him.

And I don't see who we can get who is going to be a massive improvement. Pretty much every other Prem team will be able to offer more money for a big player than us.

Agree. Regardless of having Big Sam in charge, it does not alter the fact we have little/no money.

Guest benmaxwell
Did we get the buy back clause we wanted?

No. Just the sell on clause.

There might be a release clause for a certain amount, but i'm not sure what the figure might be if one exists.

hard to say if its a good deal till we know who will replace him. but as always its down to trusting the manager, and Sam seens to have a good record on that score

Derbs wants first team football, Sam can't guarantee that or he doesn't fit into his plans, so he wants to move. All the best to him and I hope he does well, if he moves on to Greece, especially after his successful spell there. If he does good, at least Rovers will hopefully put their usual sell on fee clause in, and the money raised from the sale will hopefully go towards Sam's budget.

Shhlowlee shhlowlee katchee munkleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............................................................

.....................................................................................................

Good luck to Matt in Greece. At least the weather should be better there than here. Apparantly he's already a bit of a hero over there

I'd like to put forward the theory that Sam beleives in big bulldozer attackers & Matt certainly doesn't fit that description. That said, I'm sorry to see him go.

He scores the odd goal but then what ? The days when we could afford to play a out and out goalscorer have long gone. I think he cut his own throat against City at Ewood last season. A 12 year old shouldn't need to be told to run the ball into the corner when you're 2-1 up with seconds to go ! Giving the ball away in that situation told me all I needed to know. Good luck son. thanks for coming !

Gutted he's gone, and yes part of that is for sentimental reasons what with him being a local lad and a fan of the club who wanted to play for us. Call me old fashioned but I like those qualities in a player.

Don't get me wrong, there's footballing reasons as well (which is why wouldn't be too fussed if Gally went). Derbyshire is a good squad player, a great asset to bring off the bench, who has something different to our other strikers and does score goals. He's a good impact player and I doubt we'll get as good a quality replacement for the money we've sold him for.

Archived