SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derbyshire Leaves Rovers

Matty takes his chances.

I'll give you to different games:

Matty overtime against Newcastle

Roberts overtime against Sunderland.

Who would you prefer?

The one who scores or the one who can't hit water from a boat?

I would say the only thing Derbyshire has over Roberts is finishing and maybe at a stretch his movement. Roberts has more power, pace, ability to take on a man. Althought I am not his biggest fan I would take Roberts every day of the week over Derbyshire. Its a shame because if Derbyshire was either quicker or more powerful he would be a more viable player. But he just isn't.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind as long as we do not replace him with short-term club-hoppers.

Rovers fans want a nucleus of a team that they can admire, relate to and expect to see in their colours for many seasons to come (or delude themselves of that). I for one do not want to see stop-gap Spanish ex-internationals being beamed down from nowhere - even if they can play a bit. Let's get some young, exciting players in who actually want to play for Rovers and make a name for us.

Okey, so I did try to wind everyone up and I agree that Roberts is a better player.

I also think that you have a point LeChuck - that it is what Derbs wants too and especially his wife ;)

I also agree with Rover6. It's all about love, you seldom love your one-night stands.

I also think that you have a point LeChuck - that it is what Derbs wants too and especially his wife ;)

I didn't realise he was married - that explains it! I'm surprised she hasn't made him go to a Paraguayan radio station every couple of weeks to force his way there.

Sorry to see a local lad leave,

Maybe he wasnt played in his prefered role up front, however he was easily knocked off the ball and was never a 90min player.

An impact player to come off the bench at best.

Good luck to the lad in Greece.

Those knocking the manager should remember how people knocked Hughes for getting rid of Stead. :unsure:

That's the truth isn't it Alan.

If we had paid 3 or 4 million for Matty, people would have been very disappointed. It's only the fact that he's a local lad that keeps the attention on him. A proper manager would analyse this as - "Do I keep a player who's never become a regular in my team, or do I try and bring in someone who very well might"? There's only one realistic choice.

Good luck Matty, you will be well remembered here.

We keep bringing up the late goal at Newcastle. Yes it was great for him to score the winner but he is just not strong enough.

He has scored plenty of winning goals. Fulham this year is one that springs to mind straight away.

He just has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Had he not been played on the wing for about 50% of his games then his goals to games ratio would be better. I don't see an issue with a player that just scores goals. Goals win games and are expensive to buy at this level.

But having said that he isn't in our first team and he is in theirs, so for his career it makes sense to let him go.

I just hope that we can find someone for a similar price that can score goals for us.

Unfortuantely the state and standing of the modern day game - there was a place for Matty in this squad including starting games.

Not given the chance or guidance to help him develop imo , played up front he did his job and scored goals yet still got messed about - a sad reflection of football and a bad move by the club (certainly if any of the likes of some of the names being bandied about happen to be signed)

I didn't mean what's not to like from our point of view but from his. seems to me a great move for him and despite what everyone says, do we want to pay him to sit on our bench, because it's obvious he wasn't going to be a regular starter, or do we want to see him take a chance to better himself and get someone in at Rovers who the manager thinks can do an all round job.

That's the truth isn't it Alan.

If we had paid 3 or 4 million for Matty, people would have been very disappointed. It's only the fact that he's a local lad that keeps the attention on him. A proper manager would analyse this as - "Do I keep a player who's never become a regular in my team, or do I try and bring in someone who very well might"? There's only one realistic choice.

Good luck Matty, you will be well remembered here.

Good speech den.

seems to me a great move for him and despite what everyone says, do we want to pay him to sit on our bench, because it's obvious he wasn't going to be a regular starter, or do we want to see him take a chance to better himself and get someone in at Rovers who the manager thinks can do an all round job.

Agree on the great move and as Paul posted I know what I would chose -just becomes annoying when alot can see he has potential to make a difference to our team without great outlay but appears to have been messed about and unlucky in some respect because of our lack of a decent right winger.

I'm not into that a player must be an all rounder as personally I think it brings its own problems for the team and a palyer themselves (to me they either are or they aren't). He has shown he can score in the Premier and for England, has the uncanny knack of being in the right place for goals when played up front, has decent pace without being super fast and decent in the air for his size - the element of size and strength to me is just something you get used to and adapt from experience in playing.

Fair enough we don't know the full circumstances of what has gone on but when we start be linked with players with less experience and similar in gameplay what's the point in getting rid - especially by getting somebody that majority wise will only benefit the other club really.

Agree on the great move and as Paul posted I know what I would chose -just becomes annoying when alot can see he has potential to make a difference to our team without great outlay but appears to have been messed about and unlucky in some respect because of our lack of a decent right winger.

I'm not into that a player must be an all rounder as personally I think it brings its own problems for the team and a palyer themselves (to me they either are or they aren't). He has shown he can score in the Premier and for England, has the uncanny knack of being in the right place for goals when played up front, has decent pace without being super fast and decent in the air for his size - the element of size and strength to me is just something you get used to and adapt from experience in playing.

Fair enough we don't know the full circumstances of what has gone on but when we start be linked with players with less experience and similar in gameplay what's the point in getting rid - especially by getting somebody that majority wise will only benefit the other club really.

But according to some reports he wanted to go. You can't say with RSC get rid if he wants to go, and with Derbyshire just because he's local keep him and let him play.

We cannot afford to buy anyone better. Matt while inexperienced, would run and run. He was played out of position but was always a tryer even if he didnt always succeed. He was always good to watch and I felt gave good value.

I think under the guidance of a decent manager he could have learned quickly and become a real asset, which is obviously whats happened where he is now.

I am dissapointed he is leaving but wish him all the very best.

We cannot afford to buy anyone better. Matt while inexperienced, would run and run. He was played out of position but was always a tryer even if he didnt always succeed. He was always good to watch and I felt gave good value.

I think under the guidance of a decent manager he could have learned quickly and become a real asset, which is obviously whats happened where he is now.

I am dissapointed he is leaving but wish him all the very best.

I don't think it's a case of better. I think it's a case of different. He's not the player the manager wants. he wants a different style or type of player

I'm very disapointed, i thought Sam would give him a good chance in the team, and there are few other players that will give the comittment and effort for the team than Matt.

I really think he never got a good decent run to prove himself at the top.

Good luck Matt.

I cant understand we are letting him go when we have only dross left upfront.

Could you see Roberts or Mccarthy running half length of the pitch at St Jame's Park and scoring a goal like Matty did against Newcastle the previous season ??

Benni McCarthy, dross? Even without Derbyshire and Roque, McCarthy and Roberts developed a really good partnership over the last third of the season.

Problem is Benni blows hot and cold and clearly at times last season wasn't fully fit. It sends out a bad message to the other players and the fans that a professional footballer can't get himself fully fit and keep off the pounds.

:rover: are you serious :unsure::brfcsmilie:

You say you're 'absolutely gutted' to lose Derbyshire, our fourth choice striker who was loaned out while the club was fighting relegation (revealing just how little the manager rated him), but are asking if I'm being serious?

McCarthy and Roberts did well together, their goals were vital. It was a shame that Roberts got injured because they were going through something of a purple patch in form and it disrupted their partnership.

Together they got the goals that beat Fulham at Craven Cottage, the first time last season that I really felt we would stay up. Before that game, I was extremely worried.

Archived