BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derbyshire Leaves Rovers

Yep exactly right, it appears to me that Sam is justifying the move to our fans. Trying to claim that he was acting the same way as Cruz isn't right though in my opinion. If he was getting regular 1st team games here he wouldn't have been wanting away.

However we all know he wasn't quite good enough to be a regular 1st team starter so you can't blame him really for wanting a move, just feel that this isn't something that Sam needed to comment about as it's as though he's trying to give a bad impression of Derbyshire, although you can never tell with these articles as they can be twisted in so many ways.

I don't think it puts Derbyshire in a bad light. Players know when the manager for whatever reason doesn't fancy them. Derbyshire was lucky in that he got the right loan move and made a good job of it so the club decided they wanted him and he and his family liked the set up there so it worked to everyone's benefit.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Derbyshire was nothing but a model pro. He had come through the hard way and made the most of what he got. The one thing he lacked was the most important thing needed in premiership which is the strength to play 90 minutes of premiership football.

He always looked better coming off the bench than starting a match. He was Blackburn Rovers' supersub. Unfortunately like all other supersubs, he wanted to start games more often. He never winged in the media like others he just got on with his job.

The timing of his frustrations boiling over was unfortunate with the new manager taking over. His Rovers career was as good as over with two poor performances over the Christmas period.

The Greek leagues sound ideally suited for him where his footballing ability not strength is required.

The move represented good business for Rovers so this move benefited everyone.

It should have been obvious he wanted to go there - Champions League football and a life with his family in Greece, who wouldn't? He would have been a fool not to take the opportunity.

A lot of footballers are fools though. Many are inward-looking and cannot imagine life outside England. It shows a bit of gumption on the part of Derbyshire to really go for it.

A lot of footballers are fools though. Many are inward-looking and cannot imagine life outside England. It shows a bit of gumption on the part of Derbyshire to really go for it.

That is true, I possibly did him a little bit of a disservice there. Considering how many English people head for nicer climates it's amazing that more footballers don't follow suit. Maybe they've all bought Sky's idea of the PL being the pinnacle of football as well.

That is true, I possibly did him a little bit of a disservice there. Considering how many English people head for nicer climates it's amazing that more footballers don't follow suit. Maybe they've all bought Sky's idea of the PL being the pinnacle of football as well.

Isn't it more likely that foreign clubs have realised how little value for money over-priced English players represent?

Isn't it more likely that foreign clubs have realised how little value for money over-priced English players represent?

That's probably another reason, especially when the pound was strong. Maybe it will be a bit more common with the nearly equal to the euro. Still though, we get plenty of foreign players coming over here on Bosman's, English players could easily do that to remove the inflated transfer fee problem.

• 2 months later...

Reading the Metro on the way to work this morning, there was an article about Matty enjoying life in Greece, saying he had offers from other Prem teams but this chance was "once in a lifetime."

He also says that he left due to a personality clash with Big Sam. Said he was treated like a kid and felt he deserved more after scoring goals in the Prem over a few seasons.

Link isn't on the website but I'm sure something will emerge at some point today. Quite interesting anyway - I know people speculated that there was a fall-out but this is the first thing I can remember which suggests that this might be true.

And in the Guardian how he is only a rovers supporter. He tries to get to as many matches as possible but WILL be at the Bumley match on the 18th.

now that(and david dunn) is the reason you need a team with a number of James Beattie,Frank Fielding,Gally,Gareth Ainsworth,Matty types in it..................particularly for the key games like 18th October. How many of the current team are going to be 'shocked' by the sheer atmosphere of the 2 matches?

And in the Guardian how he is only a rovers supporter. He tries to get to as many matches as possible but WILL be at the Bumley match on the 18th.

now that(and david dunn) is the reason you need a team with a number of James Beattie,Frank Fielding,Gally,Gareth Ainsworth,Matty types in it..................particularly for the key games like 18th October. How many of the current team are going to be 'shocked' by the sheer atmosphere of the 2 matches?

Gareth Ainsworth? your scraping the barrel there mate!!!

It's good to have local lads in our squad but only if they're good enough. Gally wasn't good enough, Derbs was unlucky not to have longer runs in the side and decided to leave rather than fight for his place, James Beattie wasted his chance at his home town club as he preferred the nightlife rather than training.

I'm sure Dunny and Big Sam will make all the players aware how important the game is.

Still injured...Matty left because he wasnt good enough to be a premier league starter

Oh I see.....that really makes sense! Matty leaves because he isn't good enough to be a PL starter, but Andrews is.....yes wonderful thinking on someone's part that is. :blink:

:rover: he also wanted to play for portsmouth till know all jumped in :brfc:

He would probably like to play for Barcelona too but that's not likely to happen either Waggy.

He wants to play for us and make a name for himself. Matty didn't. It's as simple as that.

Why keep a player who doesn't want to play for us? Gone are the day's of forcing players to stay, we are in no position to do that.

Still injured...Matty left because he wasnt good enough to be a premier league starter

Matty left because he had the opportunity to play in the Champions League. Strange how is good enough for the top club competition but not us.

The quote at the time was "he only scores goals", what can't Jason Roberts do? what have we been struggling to do this season?

If we could have kept him then we should have but I somehow feel the decision was very easy for Matty to make, but he will be back at some point.

Reading the Metro on the way to work this morning, there was an article about Matty enjoying life in Greece, saying he had offers from other Prem teams but this chance was "once in a lifetime."

He also says that he left due to a personality clash with Big Sam. Said he was treated like a kid and felt he deserved more after scoring goals in the Prem over a few seasons.

Link isn't on the website but I'm sure something will emerge at some point today. Quite interesting anyway - I know people speculated that there was a fall-out but this is the first thing I can remember which suggests that this might be true.

Sad to see that it was the result of a personality clash, but the root of that may come down to the fact that he just didn't offer enough to the team. Great lad, decent player, but he was never particularly hard to mark out of a game. Much as people decry roberts he causes problems, Matty just never did. He could finish a chance but he could rarely fashion one for himself. He doesn't have the pace, movement or the power to really trouble a good Premiership defender.

Best of luck out there Derbs!

Well in an ideal world you would want someone who is both talented and passionate. But if you can only have one of the two I would take talent. Rather have Diouf than Gallager everyday of the weak because he would be likely to actually cause Burnley problems.

ps. One of the most abject performance I have ever seen is Gallagher against burnley away in the FA Cup. He was terrible. Passion didn't help him out any. And he actually looked bored?!

Derbs was always too lightweight to make it as a central striker, which is why all of our managers gave him spells as a right winger. To me Hoilett looks a better prospect as a winger/striker anyway; he's got more pace and trickery in his game.

I can't help but think if Derbs was still around he would just be holding Hoilett back, so it's perhaps for the best that he moved on. It will be interesting to see if he plays against Arsenal though, I'd love him to bag a goal.

Derbs was always too lightweight to make it as a central striker, which is why all of our managers gave him spells as a right winger. To me Hoilett looks a better prospect as a winger/striker anyway; he's got more pace and trickery in his game.

I can't help but think if Derbs was still around he would just be holding Hoilett back, so it's perhaps for the best that he moved on. It will be interesting to see if he plays against Arsenal though, I'd love him to bag a goal.

Good speech LeChuck, I'd like to see waggy argue with that one...

I think we'll see more and more of Hoilett as the season goes on. He could pose a threat to the dingles if we brought him on against those tired old legs... Arsenal would be a great game for him to make an appearance.

Archived