SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All unproven at the top level....can't wait!!!!!! :(

List of unproven players in the Premier League who have recently played VERY well, or at least well enough, for Rovers (current squad):

Givet

Nelsen

Samba

Pedersen

McCarthy

Emerton

Zurab

Jason Brown

Go back 2 months or so, you can also add:

Mokoena

Ooijer

Roque

TUGAY

Add to these the fact that the 3 players you mention are all young and will develop (maybe less so with Van Heerden) then you have nothing to worry about.

What is the issue with a canadian getting a permit????

I would have thought a commonwealth country would have had no problem.

Football is governed by stricter rules than bar jobs. I honestly don't know why that is? Bizarre. The standard off the shelf commonwealth work visa is two years isn't it?

What is the issue with a canadian getting a permit????

I would have thought a commonwealth country would have had no problem.

I think the number of games you've played in for your country counts as well (75%) and the FIFA world ranking of the national team. Not sure which is the stumbler though - suspect the former...

All unproven at the top level....can't wait!!!!!! :(

You must be a hard man to please, we haven't really ever been able to sign proven talent. Even the likes of Roque struggled at bayern, McCArthy was a bench player for Porto and Robinson was terible at the end of his time at Spurs. Nelsen had only played in the states, Samba never really played in Germany, Warnock played rarely for 'pool, Pedersen only in Norway, Bentley was rubbish for Norwich.

Last "proven" player we signed? Bellamy probably. And we only got him becaase he was a nutcase. Oh actually Diouf and Roberts would be an exceptions, but despite being "proven" they haven't actually done as well for us as the "unproven" players.

So what's your point?

Football is governed by stricter rules than bar jobs. I honestly don't know why that is? Bizarre. The standard off the shelf commonwealth work visa is two years isn't it?

Thats what I mean, getting a permit if your canadian is easy in other work sectors.

I think the number of games you've played in for your country counts as well (75%) and the FIFA world ranking of the national team. Not sure which is the stumbler though - suspect the former...

I understand the workings but know as joey said a barman would get a permit no problems, so why is Hoillet different?? One rule for one job and one for another??

I understand the workings but know as joey said a barman would get a permit no problems, so why is Hoillet different?? One rule for one job and one for another??

Can a non-EU (e.g. Canadian) barman (for exampe) really get a work permit that easily?

Isn't the issue how much actual "work" the player will be doing? Ie the home office need to be convinced that Hoilett will be coming and actually playing regularly, therefore earning his wages and in theory adding to society. What they don't want is young foreign players coming in, sitting on substitutes benches/playing for the ressies and picking up their wages. This is why the 75% of recent internationals criteria exists - the inference is that if you've played that many international games, you're likely to be coming in as a first team player somewhere.

I may be wrong, but this is how I understand things.

Isn't the issue how much actual "work" the player will be doing? Ie the home office need to be convinced that Hoilett will be coming and actually playing regularly, therefore earning his wages and in theory adding to society. What they don't want is young foreign players coming in, sitting on substitutes benches/playing for the ressies and picking up their wages. This is why the 75% of recent internationals criteria exists - the inference is that if you've played that many international games, you're likely to be coming in as a first team player somewhere.

You're right T4E.

It's about only allowing quality players into the Premier League.

From Wiki. Rafael da silva and his brother.

Born Brazil.

Played for Fluminense

represented Brazil at under 17 level.

"Therefore, the twins decided to sign for Manchester United, and a deal was agreed between the two clubs in February 2007. The twins moved to Manchester in January 2008, but were unable to play in matches until they turned 18 in July 2008. Rafael made his first appearance for the club in a friendly match against Peterborough United on 4 August. He was then registered in the club's senior squad for the 2008–09 season"

Is that not a similar case, I would have thought the fact Hoilet has been in Germany for two years would be a stronger case.

At the time of the permits being granted, I would say there was less proven potential in those two than Hoilet.

From Wiki. Rafael da silva and his brother.

Born Brazil.

Played for Fluminense

represented Brazil at under 17 level.

"Therefore, the twins decided to sign for Manchester United, and a deal was agreed between the two clubs in February 2007. The twins moved to Manchester in January 2008, but were unable to play in matches until they turned 18 in July 2008. Rafael made his first appearance for the club in a friendly match against Peterborough United on 4 August. He was then registered in the club's senior squad for the 2008–09 season"

Is that not a similar case, I would have thought the fact Hoilet has been in Germany for two years would be a stronger case.

At the time of the permits being granted, I would say there was less proven potential in those two than Hoilet.

Don't they have European passports?

Yep, which is why now is the best time for us to try and get a work permit for him. It should be relatively easy for us to support our case with our recent outgoings.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. But as you see it nicko, do you think we have any chance on the work permit appeal for Hoilett?

It's going to be hard, but some things are worth fighting for. You can't judge how these panels make their decisions, it's down to chance and influence.

I know for a fact that there was rightful opposition to Man U getting Anderson at the time...but Fergie schmoozed the board into doing it.

The point I dont get here is this, why do we sign young players through the academy we cant play and secondly how do we sign players who are unable to get a work permit?? :unsure:

Surely as an Academy playere you are still employed by the club!!

The work visa only relates to coming into the country I believe. So we can sign anyone we want, but they can't play for us unless they get a work visa.

But I understand Hoilet played with the academy prior to going on loan, to loan a player out, he must have had a contract with the club?

As for the 75% rule about Internationals, would be unlikely a lad of that age would ever achieve that!

But I understand Hoilet played with the academy prior to going on loan, to loan a player out, he must have had a contract with the club?

As for the 75% rule about Internationals, would be unlikely a lad of that age would ever achieve that!

I think maybe the academy has different rules as it is an "educational" institution rather than a "business".

Archived